Final Four thread

I will be a "rooting and a tooting " for South Carolina to beat the living snot out of shorty's crew Sunday .

Reactions: Only1COJ
What the heck. Geno is undefeated in the finals, so I will go with uconn. Of course a big factor is how efficient the SC offense is and how close the game is called in the post. I do not see how uconn can control Boston without fouling, but we shall see.

Entering the Final 4, I was pulling for SC because they are in the SEC and I will have to begin rooting for Stanford as my team next year for the next four years.

About halfway through their game with Louisville yesterday, I found myself rooting for Louisville. I just really dislike Dawn Staley. I might just not watch the game because I fear I will find myself rooting for Connecticut...:eek:

I don't think so. Staley is a much better coach that Geno. Geno is just a recruiter.

I’m not a fan of Geno at all, but he can coach. What Pat and he has done proves they can do both (coach & recruit). Dawn will have to win more than just a couple championships to even be mentioned with these two. Tara has won 3 and isn’t even spoken at their level. Dawn has had more talent than everyone outside of UConn the last few seasons and are at only one title. She could be considered just a recruiter by some.

Dawn trying to keep Rivers from entering the portal I see…
Staley was asked in post game interview about River’s extended minutes and she said Rivers was in there for her “elite passing and court vision”…..which is accurate, Rivers has the best entry passes into the lane and she defends very well also. She had 4 assists and they were all beautiful passes. Her strip and run for a fast break layup came at a crucial time as well. She obviously is not shooting the ball well, but she has an excellent mid range jumper which just did not get going in games much this year.

I personally wish B. Hall got more minutes, her stroke from 3 is really nice and she is a great defender as well.

Last edited:
I am going with SC out of principle but UConn seems to be peaking at the right time . But SC is a better defensive team than stanford. On. A related note, any one catch the dawn staley interview? She said that she chose to not take a time out when Louisville went on their run because her team knew what they were doing wrong and she wanted them to Correct it on the fly. Trust in your team builds confiidence… Food for thought for “the good coaching is calling a always timeout a timeout’ crowd.

Last edited:
I’m not a fan of Geno at all, but he can coach. What Pat and he has done proves they can do both (coach & recruit). Dawn will have to win more than just a couple championships to even be mentioned with these two. Tara has won 3 and isn’t even spoken at their level. Dawn has had more talent than everyone outside of UConn the last few seasons and are at only one title. She could be considered just a recruiter by some.
I doubt anyone with knowledge thinks Staley is less than a great game coach…Kinda foolish to say that actually. But everyone has an opinion.

I'm for SC because I could never be for UConn no matter who they played. The way SC defended the three point line against Louisville is the way it needs to be done against UConn as well. I'm saying SC wins 65 to 54. I really don't see UConn getting to 60 in this game.

I doubt anyone with knowledge thinks Staley is less than a great game coach…Kinda foolish to say that actually. But everyone has an opinion.

“Kinda foolish” to think that some may consider her just a good recruiter? Kinda foolish to think that there aren’t people “with knowledge” that think that Pat & Geno are/were just recruiters, so surely you might grasp that there might be some “with knowledge” that think the same about Dawn.

Not sharing the same opinion as one does not mean that they have no knowledge of the subject. Actually, I never said I thought that about Dawn, so I will forget your “foolish” statement.

You may want to look at Stanford recruiting classes. They are just as loaded as SC and UConn. SC talent level did not equal UConn until the 2019 class. Since then SC is 2-1 against UConn. The 2 wins were by an average of 16 points. The loss was in overtime after SC missed multiple put backs to win in regulation. We all know what has happened the past 2 years that has kept SC out of the National Championship game. Covid and a missed tip in at the buzzer. Coaching was not the reason for Dawn not going for championship #4 tomorrow night.

I will say this, when the talent level was close or equal, I haven't seen anything that suggested Geno was greater than Dawn at coaching. However the championships he has won over the years will give that perception.

Last edited:
Kind of a silly discussion in terms of whose a "good coach" -- Geno, Tara, or Dawn. The answer is all of the above.

People place way too much emphasis on in game adjustments. Basketball is not rocket science and the coaching moves and counter moves are pretty standardized. A "great" coaching adjustment generally means one teams players implemented a plan better than other (i.e. the made key shots whereas the other did not). Stanford had been lights out all season from behind the arc. If the Cardinal lhad shot their season averages, they would have won going away and people would be talking about how Geno got "out coached" by Tara. "In game coaching" does not have that much effect on whether your players miss wide open threes all night long (when they had been $ in all the games before).

Coaching is first and foremost about building a winning culture and recruiting. When you have those two aspects in place, it is a whole lot easier to look like a coaching genius with your in-game adjustments.-- get the ball to Paige!! Genius!; Get the ball to Aliyah!! Genius!!!!

Oh, lawd. For a split second there I thought that was Muffett and Geno walking the tunnel together. Too bad it was just a woman with a Muffet hairstyle/color. I was hoping for a fight. 🤣
I would love to see Muffett slap the peewillys out
of him,, bet Pat would be smiling looking down
On that

If you are not a good recruiter you are not a good coach everybody knows that. Any of them could coach Chattanooga and have a losing season. Any of them could take any of the top three talented teams and certainly get to the final four most of the time. There is also a little luck involved with the parity there is today. if UCF makes some of those free throw misses UConn may not be playing today. Same for all the teams there was a game where they could've lost if the other team had only made three or four shots they missed.

VN Store

Back