Final Four thread

To sum up the final four, GENO IS A SLIZBAG. That is all you need to know. I don't fault the girls that played for UCONN. They are just kids playing the game. It is Geno that put the CON into UCONN.

Go Gamecocks!

I don't think so. Staley is a much better coach that Geno. Geno is just a recruiter.

Ridiculous comment--totally wrong as anyone who followed the UT-CT rivalry during the PS years knows. You think Geno started out getting top prospects? UConn was nothing when he took over. You have to be an excellent coach and win before the top prospects start to notice. Listening to Vol fans take their frustrations out on Geno for a decade has been embarrassing, frankly. UT created its own problems by hiring the wrong coach--supposedly at PS's suggestion.

What struck me most about the game, besides strong defense from Stanford and even stronger defense by CT, was how no single UConn player dominated the offense. Nearly all of them made good contributions. Stanford focused mostly on Fudd and Bueckers, so others stepped up.

03631683-6204-447B-94CA-61EAEADEA459.jpeg

For Stanford it was Jones and Brink—both excellent—and not much else at all.

I wasn't surprised. Beal always draws the team's best perimeter threat. The shots that Van Lith did make had a ridiculously high level of difficulty.
For some reason she never gets mentioned when the awards come out. She has been locking down for the last 3 years.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Someone has sold his soul to get another championship. How else to explain three charmed escapes during the last three games.

CONN had at least 19 turnovers, but Stanford couldn't throw a 3-point shot into the ocean. 20-20 hindsight says if Stanford had just gone for twos once their cold outside shooting, they win going away...but they played the law of averages and lost that bet. Didn't help that they were weak on FT where CONN excelled.

GA was even bailed out when the ref didn't hear him trying to call time out...which resulted in a breakaway two for CONN.

I'm resigned to the inevitable. SC will choke, and the undeserving jerk wins another trophy. Gonna watch a good movie regardless of outcome. Even Walz winning it all wouldn't have been as bad except for the crowing of his fanboys.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Tara’s coaching has been pretty average tonight, IMO. Both ONO and Edwards got in foul trouble and they couldn’t capitalize. Buecker’s also spent some extended time on the bench.
Refs swallow the whistle when Ono and Edwards get close to fouling out. I've seen it the last 2 games.

What struck me most about the game, besides strong defense from Stanford and even stronger defense by CT, was how no single UConn player dominated the offense. Nearly all of them made good contributions. Stanford focused mostly on Fudd and Bueckers, so others stepped up.

View attachment 444307

For Stanford it was Jones and Brink—both excellent—and not much else at all.
There was some good defense played. There were also an inordinate number of high percentage, open shots missed. It made for a disjointed game of long rebounds and scrambling for loose balls. The play was ragged. Let's hope we see something better on Sunday.

We now face the very heart of the abyss itself. If UConn wins the championship game, we will never EVER hear the end of it. You thought ESPN loved UConn before, just WAIT for what will come out Bristol if the Huskies pull this off. It'll be all ESPN ever talks about. We will be, quite figuratively, in hell itself. Never mind what it took to get them here - the postponements, the scheduling, the seeding - no, all of that will be a handwaved footnote in the storybook. All those awful video packages, all the free advertising, all the praise, and none of the questions. Hell itself. Sigh. Just sigh.

I pray for South Carolina to save us. I pray they save us all.

Reactions: Lucy
Geno is who he is as a person, but anyone that denies him being a good coach that gets the best of his players ability, knows how to run an actual offense is fooling themselves. Those are just facts. Even with Candace Parker UT won back to back titles on elite defense, rebounding, tough women, and the will to win. Not a fluid ran offense. And honestly Dawn is doing a lot what Pat did, win with mere talent, depth, and toughness. I hate UCONN, but when I take the orange glasses off Geno knows basketball. 11 and 0 in title games is just gross to think how impressive that is.

This is literally my worst nightmare. I despise SC fans and I can’t stand EW and Geno. I’ll just watch the game in silence 🤣🤣🤣.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harvey Peak
What struck me most about the game, besides strong defense from Stanford and even stronger defense by CT, was how no single UConn player dominated the offense. Nearly all of them made good contributions. Stanford focused mostly on Fudd and Bueckers, so others stepped up..

I am not sure if it was UConn’s defense or just poor shooting but Stanford was throwing up bricks from outside until near the end of the game. UConn’s interior defense was non existent IMO. Jones and Brink seemed to be the offense most of the game shooting layups or little 5 footers against UConn. I don’t know how ONO and Edwards got into foul trouble since they weren’t stopping the interior shots. The only UConn player with a block was the guard-Paige. I don’t care who wins the final but I think SCar will score a bunch on the inside. The Boston imitator (ONO) is about to meet the real Boston.

When Louisville went on a 12-0 run I could hear Coach Jumper (and some others) in the back of my mind yelling, “Dawn, call a time out, for goodness sake, CALL A TIME OUT”!!!”. Holly asked. Dawn about that after the game and she gave a very good reply. Basically she said her bench was a lot deeper than Louisville’s and she wanted to tire out their starters. I have never thought of that angle so I learned something new.

I don’t care who wins Sunday but SCar defense is very good, their offense is playing well in the tourney, and UConns front line does not impress me. Unless UConn guards play better (A LOT of turnovers vs Stanford) I expect SCar to control the game, assuming they can hit the free throws the last few minutes of the game.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
I can't remember the last time all the SC starters scored in double figures.

Wonder who Beal gets to guard in the finals? ;)

VN Store

Back