Final Fantasy 7 Remake (PS4) Coming March 2020.

While this is pretty big news, I fear it won't be a remake of the original. I'm guessing they will implement the battle system they have today instead of the classic turn based of days old. If it is a true remake, I'll purchase a PS4 just for this game. If they try to reinvent the wheel, I'll skip it.

This will no doubt be a disappointment as it can't live up to people's nostalgia (there are quite frankly better FF games). But it is the Star Wars of RPG, and while it is like completely remaking Star Wars with a new cast and better FX, this will no doubt become one of the highest selling games of all time if not the highest selling. No matter how much money they put into it, they will print money with this. SE's stock literally skyrocketed as soon as it was announced.

Hopefully they tweak the story just a bit and fix some of the plot holes. And hopefully they won't cut out some things in today's PC world in order to make a certain rating (I'm looking at you cross-dressing Cloud).

I'm curious to see if they keep it turn-based or transition it to the Kingdom Hearts style we see in FFXV. It might be hard for people who are accustomed the Elder Scrolls way of things to accept it being so heavily turn based as it was. Turn based combat can still work in today's world if they spice it up a bit and make it a little more interactive instead of pressing X to win.

Last edited:
This will no doubt be a disappointment as it can't live up to people's nostalgia (there are quite frankly better FF games). But it is the Star Wars of RPG, and while it is like completely remaking Star Wars with a new cast and better FX, this will no doubt become one of the highest selling games of all time if not the highest selling. No matter how much money they put into it, they will print money with this. SE's stock literally skyrocketed as soon as it was announced.

Hopefully they tweak the story just a bit and fix some of the plot holes. And hopefully they won't cut out some things in today's PC world in order to make a certain rating (I'm looking at you cross-dressing Cloud).

I'm curious to see if they keep it turn-based or transition it to the Kingdom Hearts style we see in FFXV. It might be hard for people who are accustomed the Elder Scrolls way of things to accept it being so heavily turn based as it was. Turn based combat can still work in today's world if they spice it up a bit and make it a little more interactive instead of pressing X to win.

If this is your perception of true turn-based fighting then I have a hard time believing your turn-based experience goes deeper than Pokemon.

Easily the most strategic and nerve-racking form of battle in all of gaming. Much more so than today's boring battle systems.

Reactions: 1 person
And when are they going to remaster Mystic Quest for PS1? Hmmmmm? Let me know then, Mister.

If this is your perception of true turn-based fighting then I have a hard time believing your turn-based experience goes deeper than Pokemon.

Easily the most strategic and nerve-racking form of battle in all of gaming. Much more so than today's boring battle systems.

Agreed. Skyrim and many of today's RPGs are the press X or RT/R2 to win games. FF7 and other turn based games from then would often whip your ass if you didn't slot the right Materia or have the correct placement of characters in the lineup. It was so much deeper then despite the technology. We've moved from chess to checkers.

If this plays out like Kingdom Hearts or FF15 demo, I will depressed.

Also, the video said "Coming first to PS4" does this mean timed exclusive before coming to PC and Xbox One? SquareEnix and their timed exclusives these days.

The convoluted story, weak cast of characters, and the easily exploited Junction system kills FF8 for me, but I'd gladly play it again over FF13 and what I've played of FF15's demo.

7 and 8 were the only ones I played. 8 was the only one I finished. Looking forward to this though.

You're preaching to the choir. I like turn based battles way more than the auto-attack or Kingdom Hearts style battle systems (which literally put me to sleep) we see today, but I'm talking about what today's crowd is accustomed to. I see a lot of kids who think Skyrim is the only RPG ever complain about turn based battles in FF.

meh, two different types of gameplay; neither is better than the other, just comes down to preference.

Turned based game play has roots that go back to D&D and other dice rolling RPGs; where stats, strategy, and probabilities are appreciated.

Fluid/Analog gaming is the newer flavor where stats and probabilities take a back seat to one's battle tactics and finesse with the controls.

I can understand why those who haven't been exposed to the early days of RPGs would hate turn based gameplay

You're preaching to the choir. I like turn based battles way more than the auto-attack or Kingdom Hearts style battle systems (which literally put me to sleep) we see today, but I'm talking about what today's crowd is accustomed to. I see a lot of kids who think Skyrim is the only RPG ever complain about turn based battles in FF.

I sent a YouTube link of the FF7 remake to my 19 year old brother. He said, "Wasn't impressed."

His favorite RPG is Skyrim. He hates turn based RPGs. Says they're too slow and difficult. Told him he was a weenie.

meh, two different types of gameplay; neither is better than the other, just comes down to preference.

Turned based game play has roots that go back to D&D and other dice rolling RPGs; where stats, strategy, and probabilities are appreciated.

Fluid/Analog gaming is the newer flavor where stats and probabilities take a back seat to one's battle tactics and finesse with the controls.

I can understand why those who haven't been exposed to the early days of RPGs would hate turn based gameplay

The only current RPG series, that I can think of, that require battle tactics and finesse with controls would be Demon Souls/Dark Souls/Bloodborne.

Elder Scrolls - point and click until they die, buff, cast heal/spell

Fallout - hopefully VATs returns, but very much like Elder Scrolls

Mass Effect/Dragon Age - choose skills from a wheel, characters automate, non playable characters automate

Witcher 3 - requires some level of battle tactics with the potions, but you can swing your sword for days until many of the enemies are dead if you're on the normal difficulty.

When discussing turnbased battles, I saw a quote on another board where somebody said that people actually want to play their games now, not watch an interactive cutscene. While that is hyperbole, it kinda holds true to some degree, especially when you're summoning Knights of the Round over and over to win.

The only current RPG series, that I can think of, that require battle tactics and finesse with controls would be Demon Souls/Dark Souls/Bloodborne.

Elder Scrolls - point and click until they die, buff, cast heal/spell

Fallout - hopefully VATs returns, but very much like Elder Scrolls

Mass Effect/Dragon Age - choose skills from a wheel, characters automate, non playable characters automate

Witcher 3 - requires some level of battle tactics with the potions, but you can swing your sword for days until many of the enemies are dead if you're on the normal difficulty.

You really should try Witcher 3 on Death March difficulty - I feel it's the way the game was meant to be played!

I tend to agree with the other assessments; that's one big knock on the ES series: even on the hardest difficulty, you can still become OP rather quickly.

For the most part I hate turn based RPGs.

You said FF7 and FF8 are the only ones you played of the series though and you hadn't finished 7, so it sounds like your exposure to turn based was limited. What about Dragon Warrior? Chrono Trigger? Suikoden?

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? My 19 year old brother, despite being exposed to all of my turn based RPGs, still turned out to enjoy hack and slash stuff like Skyrim more, but my 23 year old brother prefers turn based.

When discussing turnbased battles, I saw a quote on another board where somebody said that people actually want to play their games now, not watch an interactive cutscene. While that is hyperbole, it kinda holds true to some degree, especially when you're summoning Knights of the Round over and over to win.

Except every RPG now, with the exception of the Souls series, has 20 hours of non-interactive cutscenes and/or mountains of dialogue. That is why I prefer them - they actually shut up and let you play lol

They could easily make KotR not show the entire animation once you've summoned them once - similar to FF9's summons.

VN Store

Back