Final Fantasy 7 Remake (PS4) Coming March 2020.

One thing to vent about though, of the many ways they botched 13, was the cheapest final boss fight there has ever been.

If your main character dies, it's game over, and the boss had a random one-hit kill that you just had to hope didn't target your main character. You had to fight through 2 bosses to get to the final boss, then if you got unlucky and he targeted your main character you had to start all over.

MANY final fantasy fans jumped off the train after that. I remember reading the forums about it. That was really really bad.

I don't remember having problems with the final boss. But much of that game was forgettable.

Squaresoft lost me on FF10. I feel like the series became something different after 10

They didn't lose me after 10. I played a lot of blitzball, I think it was called, afterward. And I actually enjoyed 12 more than 10.

13 was it for me though. 10 and 12 were *linearish* I think getting away from the free roaming of earlier FF. But 13 was just run down this premade path. Play half the game with only two party members. I can't remember if you could even change you party till just before the end.

Plus it made me mad the most interesting part of the game was after you beat the final boss and could run around that big open area. Didn't see the point since I beat the game and lost interest.

Reactions: 1 person
They didn't lose me after 10. I played a lot of blitzball, I think it was called, afterward. And I actually enjoyed 12 more than 10.

13 was it for me though. 10 and 12 were *linearish* I think getting away from the free roaming of earlier FF. But 13 was just run down this premade path. Play half the game with only two party members. I can't remember if you could even change you party till just before the end.

Plus it made me mad the most interesting part of the game was after you beat the final boss and could run around that big open area. Didn't see the point since I beat the game and lost interest.

Yep, that's a good assessment. Sorry for being a negative Nancy, Brave, they just haven't given much classic JRPG quality in the past decade and a half outside of Bravely Default on 3DS and a few others that escape me right now haha

I think your memory of 13 may be a bit hazy. Don't get me wrong, your overall opinion on the game is pretty much on par with everyone's, but the negatives you remember aren't quite accurate.

IIRC you could change party members as soon as there were more then 3 characters to play with.

The whole game was brutally linear, but I believe there were 13 chapters, and on chapter 11 you finally got to the open world. I suppose if you just skipped right through it you may not have noticed, but you didn't have to wait until you beat the final boss to go play around in that world. Honestly, I think about 60% of the game was supposed to be played in the open world. There was an insane number of enemies to kill, plenty of targets to take contracts on, and if you did enough stuff in the world that giant creature would appear way up in the mountains and take you through an elimination series against different enemies.

I think your memory of 13 may be a bit hazy. Don't get me wrong, your overall opinion on the game is pretty much on par with everyone's, but the negatives you remember aren't quite accurate.

IIRC you could change party members as soon as there were more then 3 characters to play with.

The whole game was brutally linear, but I believe there were 13 chapters, and on chapter 11 you finally got to the open world. I suppose if you just skipped right through it you may not have noticed, but you didn't have to wait until you beat the final boss to go play around in that world. Honestly, I think about 60% of the game was supposed to be played in the open world. There was an insane number of enemies to kill, plenty of targets to take contracts on, and if you did enough stuff in the world that giant creature would appear way up in the mountains and take you through an elimination series against different enemies.

Could be. I remember the open area being accessible before the end, but I thought some of it was locked till you beat the game? Like you said, I'm probably mixing some things up.

Something about the party was annoying. Weren't you swapping between parties for a decent portion of the beginning and that was locked in? It was something odd.

I just have a feeling they are going to screw this up.

My fear is that they are going to make it hyper realistic and remove all the campy humor from the game.

I also have no idea how they will handle the world map, all the different towns and settlements, and the side quests.

The best we can hope for is that they go the FFXV route and transform the entire overworld into a giant open-world map like Skyrim/Fallout/The Witcher, but that strikes me as being so ambitious that they probably won't do it.

Instead, they'll make it linear as hell like FFXIII where you're basically on rails for the entire game going directly from point A to point B.

One of the most emotional moments of my childhood.

I remember, just another part of the perfection that was FF7, during her death they played this slow, somber music. Immediately after she died you went into a battle with a boss and they maintained the slow, sad music the whole way through the fight. It legitimately kept you sad and made you angry and you just unleashed hell on the boss over it. Just like the story intended.

Man that game was perfect.

Last edited:
One of the most emotional moments of my childhood.

I remember, just another part of the perfection that was FF7, during her death they played this slow, somber music. Immediately after she died you went into a battle with a boss and they maintained the slow, sad music the whole way through the fight. It legitimately kept you sad and made you angry and you just unleashed hell on the boss over it. Just like the story intended.

Man that game was perfect.

Lol 18 year old spoiler alert :p

But yeah, I think this was the first time I experienced death in a video game (not counting the 16-bit deaths of minor characters in FF4, 5, and 6 or green mushroom extra lives for Mario)

It was so cinematic at the time. There hadn't been a game that looked that good before. It was very sad. My friends and I searched and searched for ways of preventing it, but there was nothing you could do...

Last edited:
I envy anyone who has never played FF7. They're in for a good experience. Anyway, I came to post this quote from Tetsuya Nomura (director of FF7 remake).

“When we announced the HD port, the PC port on the PS4, we weren’t sure when we wanted to announce the remake. The production was underway then, so there’s no real connection between the timing of the two FF7s coming to PS4. We’ve announced several different titles coming to the PlayStation 4 like World of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts 3.”

It appears the remake has been in development for at least 6 months. The PC port announcement was early December 2014. A game the size of FF7 will probably take at least 2 years to make.

I'd also like to say I think older FF games need some love as well, although will probably never happen. I feel FF7 only got a remake because it was that game that introduced a lot of us to jRPGs. The Star Wars of the RPG games, so to speak. It did so by coming out on the PS1 with, at the time, revolutionary graphics only seen on insanely expense PC's. Don't get me wrong I love FF7, but man, the ones before it are just as good if not better. I feel they get completely overlooked. FF6 (or 3 if you must call it that) is my favorite FF game. I didn't even play it till after FF7. I suggest checking it out if you can tolerate the SNES graphics.

I envy anyone who has never played FF7. They're in for a good experience. Anyway, I came to post this quote from Tetsuya Nomura (director of FF7 remake).

It appears the remake has been in development for at least 6 months. The PC port announcement was early December 2014. A game the size of FF7 will probably take at least 2 years to make.

I'd also like to say I think older FF games need some love as well, although will probably never happen. I feel FF7 only got a remake because it was that game that introduced a lot of us to jRPGs. The Star Wars of the RPG games, so to speak. It did so by coming out on the PS1 with, at the time, revolutionary graphics only seen on insanely expense PC's. Don't get me wrong I love FF7, but man, the ones before it are just as good if not better. I feel they get completely overlooked. FF6 (or 3 if you must call it that) is my favorite FF game. I didn't even play it till after FF7. I suggest checking it out if you can tolerate the SNES graphics.

FF3 was my first turn based RPG as a kid. Followed up by Chrono Trigger and Suikoden the next year. Then FF7. That was the Golden Age of RPGs.

FF3 was my first turn based RPG as a kid. Followed up by Chrono Trigger and Suikoden the next year. Then FF7. That was the Golden Age of RPGs.

With current technology this could be another golden age. We have the most stunning looking RPG's of all time. They just keep falling short of the originals because the storylines aren't as good, the music can't come close, and they don't have the level of different atmospheres that the classics created.

That and the new games don't have that same originality the classics had. The materia system, the class system, the junction system, open-world maps you can travel a multitude of ways.

These days every RPG, even good ones like Dragon Age and Witcher 3, are a lot of the same. No turn-base, you level up, you buy new weapons, you level up some form of skill or magic, you fast-travel around a big map, rinse, repeat.

Last edited:
With current technology this could be another golden age. We have the most stunning looking RPG's of all time. They just keep falling short of the originals because the storylines aren't as good, the music can't come close, and they don't have the level of different atmospheres that the classics created.

That and the new games don't have that same originality the classics had. The materia system, the class system, the junction system, open-world maps you can travel a multitude of ways.

These days every RPG, even good ones like Dragon Age and Witcher 3, are a lot of the same. No turn-base, you level up, you buy new weapons, you level up some form of skill or magic, you fast-travel around a big map, rinse, repeat.

They definitely seem to lack the heart of the old ones. You're making me depressed haha... And I HATE FAST TRAVELING, I refuse to do it. People want giant maps full of crap and then cry about the walk haha

They definitely seem to lack the heart of the old ones. You're making me depressed haha... And I HATE FAST TRAVELING, I refuse to do it. People want giant maps full of crap and then cry about the walk haha

I was wondering if I was the only one. In Witcher I will get on my horse/boat and ride the length of the map, and fight whatever I have to on the way. Same thing in Dragon Age.

Fast traveling is for sissies.

Yes. FF6 (or FF3 as you call it :p) is a gem a lot of people miss because of the 16 bit graphics.( If anyone is reading this that hasn't played it. I'm sure it's available on your phone.) I can almost certainly wager that, if you wanted a remake, you wouldn't have chosen FF7.

QFT.

That's why I'm really hoping they give the remake the same battle system of the original. FF7 remake is going to sell a ton of copies, game developers like to copy what the flavor of the month is. We might just see a reemergence of the classic turn based RPG's of old on consoles. The last good game(turn based jRPG) on console was Lost Odyssey on XBOX360, before that probably a PS2 game most likely being an import.

Last edited:
Yes. FF6 (or FF3 as you call it :p) is a gem a lot of people miss because of the 16 bit graphics.( If anyone is reading this that hasn't played it. I'm sure it's available on your phone.) I can almost certainly wager that, if you wanted a remake, you wouldn't have chosen FF7.

Haha yeah when 7 came out I wondered what the heck happened to 4-6, but didn't find out until I got the internet later on down the road that my my SNES FF2 was actually FF4 and my FF3 was FF6. Mind was blown.

The Japanese though we were weenies and couldn't handle the real Final Fantasy games so they only gave us a few - and it turns out they were right, judging by today's list of fast-travel-instant-win RPGs.

I was wondering if I was the only one. In Witcher I will get on my horse/boat and ride the length of the map, and fight whatever I have to on the way. Same thing in Dragon Age.

Fast traveling is for sissies.

I plan on doing this for my second play through of Witcher

FF7... lol the memories.

When I first started playing, I got to the Golden Saucer without the use of any materia at all. I just made sure to level up my guys. I was in 5th grade at the time so I should have been able to comprehend the whole concept of materia, but I didn't.

I'm not bragging, just making a point of how terrible I was at FF games and video games in general. Danged if I don't love them, though. :crazy:

FF7... lol the memories.

When I first started playing, I got to the Golden Saucer without the use of any materia at all. I just made sure to level up my guys. I was in 5th grade at the time so I should have been able to comprehend the whole concept of materia, but I didn't.

I'm not bragging, just making a point of how terrible I was at FF games and video games in general. Danged if I don't love them, though. :crazy:

That's hardcore. I may try that.

That's vague. Does that mean perma-death like FF Tactics? Does that mean VR? Does that mean a first person FF? Will the characters have a more realistic body instead of the bobble-head look?

I'd consider buying a ps4 if they'd just do a straight remake with new graphics. Same story, characters, fighting system.

I played FF7 start to finish probably 6 or 7 times. I'd beat it, play a few diff games for the next few months, then come back and replay FF7 all over again. But it's been so long since I played it, it'd be almost like playing it again for the first time.

VN Store

Back