Field Conditions

That may be true but even high dollar golf courses struggle sometimes depending on conditions.

You are absolutely right, an acre of Bermuda at half an inch is a lot different than maintaining 20 or so bent grass greens in the south.

Frankly, I pay more attention to the play on the field than the condition of the grass. Doesn't the program have enough drama to focus on? Do we really want to ***** about the condition of the damned grass?

I think you are on volnation, where things get discussed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: 6 people
Frankly, I pay more attention to the play on the field than the condition of the grass. Doesn't the program have enough drama to focus on? Do we really want to ***** about the condition of the damned grass?

Post of the day IMO!

I'm an assistant superintendent in Atlanta and I concur. We've had a few areas of winter kill on the golf course that we had to sod out in high traffic areas. Our club house lawn and driving range complex where we overseeded lost quite a bit of bermuda during transition this spring and into summer. I know from guys in the business that this past winter was tough for warm season grasses in TN so im not suprised to see the field in sub par shape. They'll start overseeding tomorrow with the team out of town over a three week span. Ryegrass will look great for the Florida game.

Which course do you work?

You are absolutely right, an acre of Bermuda at half an inch is a lot different than maintaining 20 or so bent grass greens in the south.

Bent greens suffer in the South. The new bermuda greens seem to hold up a lot better. They don't burn out in the hot weather; they flourish in the heat and are more playable in the Winter than bent is in the Summer..

Reactions: 1 person
Bent greens suffer in the South. The new bermuda greens seem to hold up a lot better. They don't burn out in the hot weather; they flourish in the heat and are more playable in the Winter than bent is in the Summer..

Amen to that! We had 30 bent greens in north georgia and I would have gave up anything to just have to worry about one Bermuda football field in July and August. I've since moved to central georgia and have Bermuda greens and I'm never going back bent unless I move back home to Johnson city. I guess I should change my username lol

I would like to see the turf at Neyland as long as it's not that light green like at ole miss

One thing people often overlook on the field turf is the temperature. It gets VERY hot, if you are playing an early September game and it is 90 degrees the field temperature can be around 110 degrees. I like grass, I think the reason many people think the field looks bad has nothing to do with the field, but with HD TV.

One thing people often overlook on the field turf is the temperature. It gets VERY hot, if you are playing an early September game and it is 90 degrees the field temperature can be around 110 degrees. I like grass, I think the reason many people think the field looks bad has nothing to do with the field, but with HD TV.

Bermuda grass thrives in that weather.

SIAP our field looked lousy today! In fact the past several seasons shields-Watkins hasn't been up to par IMO, is it time for field turf?

Man theres no way they should go to field turf. Football was meant to be played on grass. I've always thought that the real grass has always looked awesome in Neyland. I really hope they dont change to field turf

Last edited:

VN Store

Back