Fickell to Wisconsin

We have one of the worst secondaries in college football. You can't believe we have one of the least talented secondaries in college football. It is coaching and a lack of development.

Even before the season the secondary was OFTEN projected to be our biggest issue. So yes we have one of the least talented secondaries and one of the toughest SOS out there. Put those together and you get what you get.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Heupel needs to get out to Madison tonight and grab Jim Lenhord to run the defense. Pay him whatever it takes.
Is it just a given, every year….VN goes into coach search mode? We just had the best season we have had in decades….maybe we should let them do their thing and stay out of the coaching search bizz….JMO 🤷‍♂️

We have one of the worst secondaries in college football. You can't believe we have one of the least talented secondaries in college football. It is coaching and a lack of development.
I completely disagree. We lack talent, athleticism, speed, quickness and physicality...hell, everything....in our secondary. We need a massive upgrade on the backend and until we get it, it's going to greatly impact what Banks can do as a DC. Until we get better players back there, I don't think we can make a determination as to how good or bad a DC he is.

Some newcomers might not be familiar with the old coaching adage: It's not the X's and O's it's the Jimmys and Joes. I think that sums up our defense right now.

Some newcomers might not be familiar with the old coaching adage: It's not the X's and O's it's the Jimmys and Joes. I think that sums up our defense right now.

I think some old timers like to talk about jimmys and joes and not listen to coaching philosophy. Right now, this defensive staff believes you throw 4-5 DBs out there and put them on receivers rather than put them in positions and schemes. Athlete vs athlete isn’t trying to put the boys in position to win battles. JMO

Martinez has played with what he has been given all.season. Injuries have decimated our secondary. Look at all those who were out last night. The talent level isn't there. We need some top end Portal or JUCO DB's who can contribute immediately. Even when healthy, our DB's have struggled. It's not coaching its the talent.
The stats don’t support your argument. The staff on the other side of the ball doesn’t support your argument. Actually nothing you could say will support your argument. So you believe that our current group of players would not play on 130 other teams. They are less talented as a defensive backfield then 129 other teams? It is coaching.

Reactions: Shocker0
Even before the season the secondary was OFTEN projected to be our biggest issue. So yes we have one of the least talented secondaries and one of the toughest SOS out there. Put those together and you get what you get.
Part of the reason, probably biggest, for concern before the season was the coaching of that position.

With our recruiting class, holding KY and Vandy to 6 total points, and what we did to LSU: nobody is getting fired. The SC game was an obvious mess, and we will probably never know exactly what was going on.

In no way am I saying get rid of Banks, but.... if you had the chance to hire Muschamp or Leonhard as DC, and the money was the same, who do you hire?

People are quick to forget the majority of the players, especially on Defense, are Pruitt recruited...which is surprising since he was a "defensive genius".

People debate Jimmy's and Joe's versus Xs and Os, but it takes both.
In my mind, let's get more Jimmy's and Joe's to see if the guys calling the Xs and Os are the problem.

ALL CAPS all you want.

HIS defense gave up almost 500 yards 6 TDs a game in conference play.
So bring in a Big 10 guy who sees 1 good offense a year? We gave up less than 24 points per game. We have good talent on the way. Banks will be fine here.

The best thing about this is that Auburn is now down the top 1, 2, and 3 picks that were "easy gets" for them. They wanted Kiffin, they don't want Freeze, they didn't even look at Fickell, and I heard someone say Urban is next on the list. NO LIST HAS URBAN AT FOUR! It is on track to be a chit-show. Nice to watch others experience it.
Auburn is about to have to get coaching to rebuild himself, or an up-and-comer after they couldn't get out of their own way again.

Given our talent level and the fact that our offense is on the field in so few minutes, what should the right number of yards and TD's be?
We scored more than 20 points per game above what we gave up. Those are the only numbers that matter to me and that’s pretty good. With how our offense played it will be tough to improve on that number.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl

VN Store

Back