Feel Good Story of the Day . . . Robert Nelson

Anyone have a link to more details/back story on this? Other than him wanting to be a Vol... I don't pay for Rivals and would be interested to read.

From what I know.. and it is a great story. I watched the board all day and HOPED he was able to sign. He bleeds all that is Orange.

Nelson is a 3*LB. He has good talent and is a great tackler. Anyways, he made a visit this past weekend to campus. Fell completely in love with UT as it was his dream to go there anyways. He Committed pretty much on the spot. However, We never offered him. He said it didnt matter he was not going to give up and would wait until the last minute to sign with another school (Auburn, Troy, some others). He showed up at Myles Presser. Waiting, and Waiting for the call to say we got room for you. It was almost till 1:00 or so today and he got that call. Basically this is like being told by the hottest girl in school that she wants to go on a date with you, but she may have plans that night and she will call you if her plans change. You sit and sit, and keep checking your phone. Then finally she calls. His family went ape #!$@. He is the 1st in his family to go to college and knows what he wants to do in life. He is a smart individual as well.

He is WILL BE A GREAT VOLUNTEER!

From what I know.. and it is a great story. I watched the board all day and HOPED he was able to sign. He bleeds all that is Orange.

Nelson is a 3*LB. He has good talent and is a great tackler. Anyways, he made a visit this past weekend to campus. Fell completely in love with UT as it was his dream to go there anyways. He Committed pretty much on the spot. However, We never offered him. He said it didnt matter he was not going to give up and would wait until the last minute to sign with another school (Auburn, Troy, some others). He showed up at Myles Presser. Waiting, and Waiting for the call to say we got room for you. It was almost till 1:00 or so today and he got that call. Basically this is like being told by the hottest girl in school that she wants to go on a date with you, but she may have plans that night and she will call you if her plans change. You sit and sit, and keep checking your phone. Then finally she calls. His family went ape #!$@. He is the 1st in his family to go to college and knows what he wants to do in life. He is a smart individual as well.

He is WILL BE A GREAT VOLUNTEER!

well I'll be cheering the kid on for 4+ years. Good luck Robert!

Who knows in the end,he make "(the)tackle that gives us a National Championship.Funny How Karma and fate intertwine sometimes.

Good luck young man.:thumbsup:

i heard him interviewed on the sports animal and he seems really really excited to play for tennessee. dare i say it touched me. he didint give the same answers that every recruit gave today. you could really tell he loves the game...i think he could turn out to be something special..

I heard the interview today too, and I feel the same as most of you. I was touched when he was talking about his passion for the game and how he wants to please his parents. I can also tell you that he is not short on confidence. He said he thinks he can be an All American his sophomore year and garner enough NFL interest his junior year to then leave after his third year! THat part kind of shocked me. He did say that he would come back for his degree. I guess you could say he's got a five year plan! haha

I want to add my name onto the list of those congratulating Robert and his family. I was happy to log on this afternoon and see that the offer had been made. Best of luck to you...

Most underrated player we signed. I predict this guy to be a surprise for us in a few years. His scouting numbers are great and ESPN has him ranked a lot higher than the other services.

Most underrated player we signed. I predict this guy to be a surprise for us in a few years. His scouting numbers are great and ESPN has him ranked a lot higher than the other services.
yeah, I just noticed ESPN has him as our 4th highest rated recruit...

they seem really high on him in their write up as well.

YES! I posted something about this last night or early this morning... said I guess if we get him it means we missed on Patrick, but I was pretty impressed with a guy that wanted to be here so bad that he was willing to wait and see. I've said it before and I'll say it again.. The # of stars by the name don't measure heart!

This kid's attitude reminds me a only one player, the Vol Great, Dale Jones. Jones gave it all for Tennessee.

Welcome to Big Orange Country, Robert.

Rob-ert Nel-son
Rob-ert Net-son
Rob-ert Net-son

I beleive he is ranked #19 OLB on ESPN. No slacker.

You work as hard as you can in school and on the practice field Robert, and you will succeed here at UT beyond your wildest dreams. The Big Orange Nation will be behind you every step. Good luck young man!

And it's getting overlooked by all the doom sayers and excuse makers. A guy that really wanted to be a Vol and was willing to WAIT to see if we had room, got his scholarship offer and will be running through the T in college.

Robert Nelson seems like a good kid and could be another Inky Johnson type player here that came in un-acclaimed and worked hard to prove himself. Congrats to you and your family, Robert. I know they're proud and I'm glad you're a Vol.

I really think he and Askew will leave this school as All-SEC and probably AA status.

"I'm very excited about everything," Nelson said. "Monte Kiffin, Lance Thompson, and Lane Kiffin called me yesterday and they asked how I was doing. I told them I was okay. They asked if things would change if I became a Tennessee Volunteer and I said yes. I think they made the right decision and I'm looking forward to it."

Signing his papers in front of family and friends, Nelson said he was happy to see smiles on those closest to him.

"They were really excited," Nelson said. "They did some screaming and they are proud that I made it to this point. They can't wait to see me do big things."
:clapping::yahoo:

Welcome to Tennessee and congratulations! Looks like you are becoming a fan favorite. Thanks for your patience.

I was texting my boys all morning, "What about the kid that said he would wait to see if we had room?" When I got the info that he had signed, I got a tear in my eye. That, folks, is what it's all about. A kid willing to wait with unwavering confidence that he knew where he wanted to be.....Thank You Mr. Nelson.

Nice thread. We have lots of good athletes and kids coming in to be Vols. That should be our focus on NSD. Who we got, not who we didn't. These guys are our future Vols.

Welcome to the vol family! He reminds me of Patrick Willis. I would take good quality kids like this over stars and rankings any day. He will be a fan favorite and I also think he will be a special player for UT. You can't coach HEART, & that's something this kid has a lot of. + he bleeds orange. It was his destiny to be
a VOL.

VN Store

Back