Favorite Movie of All Time?? and why

Curious what people would say is their favorite "disturbing" movie. Yes I just made that genre up...not exactly horror...or drama, but disturbing and almost hard to watch (while still being great of course).

Fwiw I'm thinking of Requiem for a Dream. That movie is so disturbing, and unlike most horror/scary, it is very much a realistic type of frightening. It's a movie I've only watched 3 times and I have yet to get myself to return to it, no matter how great it is. Maybe one day. And they did it all without much gore or actual violence. It has stuck with me for the last 20 years unlike many other films are capable of.

Or as a couple of RT reviews say,

What y'all got??
Seven…. That is one f’ed up movie. A good one, but very disturbing even without the ending

Curious what people would say is their favorite "disturbing" movie. Yes I just made that genre up...not exactly horror...or drama, but disturbing and almost hard to watch (while still being great of course).

Fwiw I'm thinking of Requiem for a Dream. That movie is so disturbing, and unlike most horror/scary, it is very much a realistic type of frightening. It's a movie I've only watched 3 times and I have yet to get myself to return to it, no matter how great it is. Maybe one day. And they did it all without much gore or actual violence. It has stuck with me for the last 20 years unlike many other films are capable of.

Or as a couple of RT reviews say,

What y'all got??

My girlfriend and I watched this French movie a few years ago called Martyrs that was pretty effed up. First one that came to mind when I read your question, but I’ve seen quite a few “disturbing” movies just because they interest me.

Eraserhead
Requiem for a Dream
The original “I Spit on your Grave”
Irreversible (another French one)

I’m missing plenty, but those ones stand out.

And when I was a kid, I’m pretty sure Watership Down is what activated my interest in “disturbing” movies. My mom rented it for my sister and me because it looked like a typical family flick with cartoon bunnies on the cover. But It probably scarred us both at least a little bit lol.

Reactions: Devo182
Pulp Fiction
Django Unchained
Inglorious Basterds(see a theme?)
Inception
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises(another director theme)
Wedding Crashers
Thor Ragnarok
Man Of Steel
Saw(but only the first one)
Deadpool
Saving Private Ryan
Lone Survivor
Black Hawk Down
Pineapple Express
Superbad
Knocked Up
The Interview
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
Tombstone
Looper
Split

Lots of good movies mentioned but a couple that weren’t;

My favorite - Cool Hand Luke

Most disturbing - the Audition (Japanese movie)

Best Pixar - Up

Some more good ones not mentioned - The Professional, Replacement Killers, Pitch Black, Rob Roy, The Remnant, Little Big Man, The Sting

Last edited:

VN Store

Back