Favorite Movie of All Time?? and why

The Princess Bride - one of the most quotable movies ever
Serenity - It's "Firefly" on the big screen. 'nuff said
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World - just a great movie
Airplane!/Airplane 2 - brilliantly funny
Hot Shots!/ Hot Shots Part Deux - again, brilliantly funny
The Peter Jackson Middle Earth Movies - I may not agree with all of the things he did or didn't do, but his vision of Middle Earth is just as I imagined it while reading the books.
Star Trek II, III, IV, VI, First Contact and the Chris Pine reboots.
Star Wars Episodes 3-7
Raising Arizona and The Big Lebowski - my two favorite Cohen Brothers' movies
Most of John Hughs' Brat Pack movies
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
National Lampoon's Animal House
Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Like so many others, I can't pick just one and the above list is only a fraction of my favorites.
My man. Agreed.

Add Tombstone.

Deliverance. A riveting movie that captured the totality of James Dickey's literature on the screen. I have watched it at least a dozen times. Not a day goes by without its soundtrack sneaking into my brain.

P.S. "Squeal like a pig."

Last edited:
Reactions: VolInNorthCack
Caddyshack

Unbelievable characters and flawless casting. The cinematography, the action sequences. Truly eye opening.
If you’ve never seen the behind the scenes or the making of Caddyshack you should check it out . Talk about making chicken salad out of chickenshit. The whole thing was exactly like you’d think with that cast and crew. Everyone staying hammered and high all the time and not showing up for scenes. And i believe shooting was interrupted twice by hurricanes because they shot it in Florida.

If you’ve never seen the behind the scenes or the making of Caddyshack you should check it out . Talk about making chicken salad out of chickenshit. The whole thing was exactly like you’d think with that cast and crew. Everyone staying hammered and high all the time and not showing up for scenes. And i believe shooting was interrupted twice by hurricanes because they shot it in Florida.

And Bill Murray almost beat the **** out of Chase

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
The Exorcist.

It is not the scariest movie of all time as it’s often billed, but in terms of filmmaking, I think it’s the greatest horror film ever.

Se7en is very high on my list for similar reasons.

Just out of curiosity, what films would you consider “more scary”? I know its all an opinion thing anyways. But yes, the exorcist is a masterpiece.

Probably Back to the Future, because my cousin had come in from California when it came out we went to see it in theaters and the high school that was in the movie was actually the same elementary school she went to, she was killed a few years ago and I couldn't watch it for awhile because of those memories but now I can and can remember her and being kids playing together every summer when they came home

Just out of curiosity, what films would you consider “more scary”? I know its all an opinion thing anyways. But yes, the exorcist is a masterpiece.

Not very many, especially for the time it came out. The only movie from its era that I would say creeped me out more was the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Even though I don't think TCM is in the same league as The Exorcist in terms of overall film quality, its underground (almost realistic) feel hit me pretty hard when I first saw it as a kid, and it has stuck with me.

It gets a little more difficult when you start comparing it to modern horror movies, simply because filmmaking has come such a long way since the 70's. It's not a long list, but there are some that have made me want to sleep with a light on more than The Exorcist ever did. I really liked the found footage/mockumentary styles of Paranormal Activity and Lake Mungo (which is a truly great movie in its own right). For whatever reason, that is a very effective gimmick for horror when they get the story and atmosphere right.

Like you said, it's all subject to opinion, but I agree that The Exorcist is a masterpiece. I think it's one of the top 10 greatest movies ever made, and it holds up to time surprisingly well. Not many horror films do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 615vols
Not very many, especially for the time it came out. The only movie from its era that I would say creeped me out more was the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Even though I don't think TCM is in the same league as The Exorcist in terms of overall film quality, its underground (almost realistic) feel hit me pretty hard when I first saw it as a kid, and it has stuck with me.

It gets a little more difficult when you start comparing it to modern horror movies, simply because filmmaking has come such a long way since the 70's. It's not a long list, but there are some that have made me want to sleep with a light on more than The Exorcist ever did. I really liked the found footage/mockumentary styles of Paranormal Activity and Lake Mungo (which is a truly great movie in its own right). For whatever reason, that is a very effective gimmick for horror when they get the story and atmosphere right.

Like you said, it's all subject to opinion, but I agree that The Exorcist is a masterpiece. I think it's one of the top 10 greatest movies ever made, and it holds up to time surprisingly well. Not many horror films do.

Nice 👍
I can definitely remember watching the original Tcm as a kid. That was one of my faves along with original Halloween and the exorcist.

Reactions: orangepridenation
Imo, The Shining is the best horror movie ever made. Maybe not the scariest but the best.

My Dad carried this for 40 years (life before the internet):

"That movie is bizarre. Kubrick is so weird. What on earth was going on with the guy in the chair and the person dressed up like a bear. WTF is up with that?"

They're furries, Dad.

Life is Beautiful

It has it all. An extraordinarily large chunk of humor, drama, historical relevance, and great acting.

Goodfellas
Lebowski
Royal Tennenbaums
Boogie Nights
Apocalypse Now
Office Space
Dazed and Confused
City of God
Apoc Now is my #2 (especially while on psychedelics...my goodness). City of God was great too...just been so long I can't remember how good. Goodfellas definitely top 10.

I feel like I have to throw in a Linklater. Dazed and Confused is up there, as is Boyhood, but for me the Before/After Sunset/Sunrise trilogy takes the cake...Waking Life just behind it.

Edit: gotta throw Clockwork Orange out there because I haven't seen it mentioned yet.

Last edited:
Curious what people would say is their favorite "disturbing" movie. Yes I just made that genre up...not exactly horror...or drama, but disturbing and almost hard to watch (while still being great of course).

Fwiw I'm thinking of Requiem for a Dream. That movie is so disturbing, and unlike most horror/scary, it is very much a realistic type of frightening. It's a movie I've only watched 3 times and I have yet to get myself to return to it, no matter how great it is. Maybe one day. And they did it all without much gore or actual violence. It has stuck with me for the last 20 years unlike many other films are capable of.

Or as a couple of RT reviews say,
Though the movie may be too intense for some to stomach, the wonderful performances and the bleak imagery are hard to forget

Requiem for a Dream is dark and grim, yes. But it's an important film that will linger in your memory for years to come

What y'all got??

Reactions: bignewt
Curious what people would say is their favorite "disturbing" movie. Yes I just made that genre up...not exactly horror...or drama, but disturbing and almost hard to watch (while still being great of course).

Fwiw I'm thinking of Requiem for a Dream. That movie is so disturbing, and unlike most horror/scary, it is very much a realistic type of frightening. It's a movie I've only watched 3 times and I have yet to get myself to return to it, no matter how great it is. Maybe one day. And they did it all without much gore or actual violence. It has stuck with me for the last 20 years unlike many other films are capable of.

Or as a couple of RT reviews say,

What y'all got??
The Descent messed me up for a good while.

Curious what people would say is their favorite "disturbing" movie. Yes I just made that genre up...not exactly horror...or drama, but disturbing and almost hard to watch

What y'all got??

The Devil's Rejects (2005)

freaking disturbing, but Rob Zombie is a genius, as a writer, director, and musician

VN Store

Back