Favorite Keto/Low Carb meals/recipies

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
About to start up again to shed a few pounds. I've done it in the past with good results but I'm always looking for new food recipe ideas.

I usually eat a lot of salads with chicken or steak, or a meat with a vegetable like green beans or broccoli. Usually eggs with sausage or bacon for breakfast. And pork rinds or celery with pimento cheese for that "crunch" that I always desire. lol.

I've eaten keto friendly protein bars in the past, but I kinda feel like they may stall weight loss a little for me. Same with "sugar free" soda or energy drinks.

Occasionally I'll eat pizza with a keto crust (I use almond flour or something like that.)

Anyone currently on keto or have done it in the past, what are your favorite meals/snacks?

(@kiddiedoc are you off of it now?)

Reactions: Volfan1000
I tried keto for about 2 months, but I soon found out it’s easier to lose weight by counting calories and eating enough protein. I was eating too many calories on keto to lose weight - all that fat is really high in calories. Once I started making sure I was eating in a calorie deficit, the weight starting coming off.

Also, keto is such a restrictive diet, it was depressing for me. I’d want to try new recipes, but no, I couldn’t because it had flour, or because it had a little bit of sugar, and giving up rice, bread, and potatoes was just miserable. You can lose weight still eating those things, you just have to make sure you don’t eat too much and have a good protein source with each meal to keep you full.

I use to do low carb with good results but it always falls apart due to constantly having to prep food. Instead I went to intermittent fasting and have had probably better results. I do a 24 hr and a 36hr once a week. I’ll usually stop eating Tuesday afternoon and won’t eat again until Wednesday afternoon. I’ll eat a meal and maybe a few snacks up until about 9pm on Wednesday then won’t eat again until Friday morning or around lunch. I thought it would be more difficult than what it is but it’s not bad at all and I don’t have to be super restrictive about what I eat.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
I tried keto for about 2 months, but I soon found out it’s easier to lose weight by counting calories and eating enough protein. I was eating too many calories on keto to lose weight - all that fat is really high in calories. Once I started making sure I was eating in a calorie deficit, the weight starting coming off.

Also, keto is such a restrictive diet, it was depressing for me. I’d want to try new recipes, but no, I couldn’t because it had flour, or because it had a little bit of sugar, and giving up rice, bread, and potatoes was just miserable. You can lose weight still eating those things, you just have to make sure you don’t eat too much and have a good protein source with each meal to keep you full.
Keto works for me, even though it's not always easy. I'm no good with calorie restrictions because I always end up being hungry. With keto, my appetite actually shrinks, I assume because of the lack of blood sugar spikes from high glycemic carbs. Glad to hear the calorie deficit works for you. In the end it all pretty much comes down to calories.

Reactions: txbo
Steak, guacamole, green beans. Change things up a little but tis works. Lost over 80 lbs and never hungry with intermittent fasting. Also labs have never been better
That's awesome. Congrats!

I use to do low carb with good results but it always falls apart due to constantly having to prep food. Instead I went to intermittent fasting and have had probably better results. I do a 24 hr and a 36hr once a week. I’ll usually stop eating Tuesday afternoon and won’t eat again until Wednesday afternoon. I’ll eat a meal and maybe a few snacks up until about 9pm on Wednesday then won’t eat again until Friday morning or around lunch. I thought it would be more difficult than what it is but it’s not bad at all and I don’t have to be super restrictive about what I eat.
I actually tried the intermittent fasting last year. The problem was I'm pretty sure I ate enough during the allowed hours to cancel out any benefit from the fasting. lol.

I actually tried the intermittent fasting last year. The problem was I'm pretty sure I ate enough during the allowed hours to cancel out any benefit from the fasting. lol.

Lol. I get it. That’s why I do a full 24 and a full 36. If I did 16-8 or something like that I would probably not have much success. When I was on keto I just ate a lot of cheese, a lot of eggs, and a lot of meat. I’d throw in a salad here and there. For sides I would do the lowest carb green beans, spinach, broccoli and turnip greens. I never messed with the keto pastas, breads, or things like that.

About to start up again to shed a few pounds. I've done it in the past with good results but I'm always looking for new food recipe ideas.

I usually eat a lot of salads with chicken or steak, or a meat with a vegetable like green beans or broccoli. Usually eggs with sausage or bacon for breakfast. And pork rinds or celery with pimento cheese for that "crunch" that I always desire. lol.

I've eaten keto friendly protein bars in the past, but I kinda feel like they may stall weight loss a little for me. Same with "sugar free" soda or energy drinks.

Occasionally I'll eat pizza with a keto crust (I use almond flour or something like that.)

Anyone currently on keto or have done it in the past, what are your favorite meals/snacks?

(@kiddiedoc are you off of it now?)

Did keto for a while. Couple of my favs we’re zucchini boats( loaded with chicken, mozzarella & a lemon cream sauce), and there’s an egg roll bowl that i love!

Also, pork rinds are an awesome snack

Steak, guacamole, green beans. Change things up a little but tis works. Lost over 80 lbs and never hungry with intermittent fasting. Also labs have never been better

I’ve been thinking about IF. I think I could do it. Not sure of the method I want to do though. I really only have a few pounds I’d like to lose, but it sounds like it really helps in the overall numbers department.

Ribeye steak seasoned with salt, pepper, and a thin coat of olive oil cooked rare. If you must have a side go with broccoli, unless it’s the end of the day abd you are well below carb count - in that case go with sweet potato or brussel sprouts

I’ve been thinking about IF. I think I could do it. Not sure of the method I want to do though. I really only have a few pounds I’d like to lose, but it sounds like it really helps in the overall numbers department.

I do about a 12-14 hour intermittent fast every day. I usually finish eating dinner around 6:30pm and have breakfast between 6:30 and 9am, depending on the day. The best thing I ever did to help me lose weight was cut out the late night drinking/snacking. I used to always snack on cookies, chips & dip, and/or beer/liquor around 10-11pm at night. I forced myself to stop doing that. Not only has it helped me lose weight, my heart burn when trying to sleep has stopped, and so has my sleep apnea.

Keto works for me, even though it's not always easy. I'm no good with calorie restrictions because I always end up being hungry. With keto, my appetite actually shrinks, I assume because of the lack of blood sugar spikes from high glycemic carbs. Glad to hear the calorie deficit works for you. In the end it all pretty much comes down to calories.

If it works best for you, that’s great. I didn’t like it. I prefer being able to eat a large variety of foods.

Taco meat and cheese, hamburger patties, caesar salads, non-breaded wings, chicken and cheese and bacon, etc. Eat as much Sugar Free/Zero Sugar Whipped Cream as you can; it's all fat. I also slice and cook a couple pounds of Hillshire sausages every week. Those can be great if/when you need something to snack on. However, if I'm being very strict with keto, I'm usually not snacking or even thinking about it.

Cut back to one meal a day at the same time. Also, fast for a day or two every week or two. Or longer. A 3-5 day fast can do your body a lot of good. Give it 2 or 3 weeks and you'll be rocking and rolling! Give it a month and a half and you'll be digging out old pants or buying some new ones.

Last edited:
Taco meat and cheese, hamburger patties, caesar salads, non-breaded wings, chicken and cheese and bacon, etc. Eat as much Sugar Free/Zero Sugar Whipped Cream as you can; it's all fat. I also slice and cook a couple pounds of Hillshire sausages every week. Those can be great if/when you need something to snack on. However, if I'm being very strict with keto, I'm usually not snacking or even thinking about it.

Cut back to one meal a day at the same time. Also, fast for a day or two every week or two. Or longer. A 3-5 day fast can do your body a lot of good. Give it 2 or 3 weeks and you'll be rocking and rolling! Give it a month and a half and you'll be digging out old pants or buying some new ones.

I forgot about the taco meat. I would do taco meat, cheese, sour cream, and jalapeños. I think I used taco sauce as well, it’s low carb. I always thought the regular whipped cream was already low carb. I would use that with sugar free jello.

Last edited:
Ribeye steak seasoned with salt, pepper, and a thin coat of olive oil cooked rare. If you must have a side go with broccoli, unless it’s the end of the day abd you are well below carb count - in that case go with sweet potato or brussel sprouts

Why does it have to be rare?

Taco meat with cheese melted on top is one of my absolute favorites.

I'll have to try the whipped cream. Never thought of that.

What kind of Hillshire sausages do you like?

Reactions: VolFaninFla
Special K with Unsweetened Almond Milk for breakfast.
4.5 oz grilled chicken, half cup of white rice, baby spinach, 2 La Banderita Carb Counter Whole Wheat Wraps, Taco Sauce, pinch of shredded cheese for lunch and dinner.
Black coffee in the morning, water the rest of the day.

I ate this 6 days a week from June 2022-June 2023 with some occasional substitutions. Went from 200 to 147. I added in Breyers Carb Smart Vanilla Ice Cream with some strawberries and dark chocolate to help maintain weight these last two months. White rice isn't keto friendly, but could be substituted. Meal prepped the chicken and rice every Sunday, it was a breeze.

I like Andouille, Smoked Sausage, Hot Smoked Sausage. They are probably all good. I usually slice and fry for awhile in a pan. Store in the fridge for easy access.

If you can control yourself, a spoonful of peanut butter on occasion can be good (and load it up with whipped cream to up your fat). I had to quit buying it.

I also keep a bag of hormel pepperonis in the fridge. Eat those like chips for a quick snack. Or, melt cheese on them and crisp them up a little. They are versatile.

Buffalo Wild Wings normally has BOGO on wings on Tuesdays through the app (BOGO 50% without app). Craven Wings in Choto in Knoxville has $0.79 wings on Wednesdays. ChickNSack next to Mill and Mine downtown has $1 wings on Thursdays and those are great!

Attachments

• hillshire.png
    hillshire.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 1
I like Andouille, Smoked Sausage, Hot Smoked Sausage. They are probably all good. I usually slice and fry for awhile in a pan. Store in the fridge for easy access.

If you can control yourself, a spoonful of peanut butter on occasion can be good (and load it up with whipped cream to up your fat). I had to quit buying it.

I also keep a bag of hormel pepperonis in the fridge. Eat those like chips for a quick snack. Or, melt cheese on them and crisp them up a little. They are versatile.

Buffalo Wild Wings normally has BOGO on wings on Tuesdays through the app (BOGO 50% without app). Craven Wings in Choto in Knoxville has $0.79 wings on Wednesdays. ChickNSack next to Mill and Mine downtown has $1 wings on Thursdays and those are great!
I was buying some type of low carb peanut butter last time I did this (I think you might have been the one who put me onto it). I can't recall the name. But I couldn't handle it. I wanted a spoon full every time I went to the kitchen.

I was buying some type of low carb peanut butter last time I did this (I think you might have been the one who put me onto it). I can't recall the name. But I couldn't handle it. I wanted a spoon full every time I went to the kitchen.

Turns out that stuff was a bunch of bs. They got sued and disappeared. Oh well.

If you really want to kickstart things and get into Keto quickest, do a 2 or 3 day water fast. Then, get into meats/cheese/etc and you're off and running.

Turns out that stuff was a bunch of bs. They got sued and disappeared. Oh well.

If you really want to kickstart things and get into Keto quickest, do a 2 or 3 day water fast. Then, get into meats/cheese/etc and you're off and running.
Seriously? What was that stuff called? Do you remember?

I said in the OP I was "about to start up again" but technically I'm on like day five. I feel like I'm off to a pretty good start. I'm trying to avoid any type of artificial sweetener and stay away from the keto bars. As long as I stick to the basics I usually get into keto pretty quickly, I believe. I'm not sure I'd last through a 2-3 day water fast. lol.

I just finished doing that. 😂

I eat only when I get hungry and try to eat a lot of protein and vegetables and do some power walking for exercise.

I usually do not eat breakfast.

@Freak, I do not know your age, but I recommend reading The Whole Body Reset by Heidi Skolnik and Stephen Perrine. It’s not just for old farts. If I’d started its dietary discipline in my 40s, I’d be a better me, now. The heart of it is protein timing and fiber - for men, 30 grams of protein each meal, 25 grams of fiber each day, whole foods instead of processed foods. Cruciferous veggies good, salty potato chips bad. Unsweetened tea and coffee good, soda pop bad (diet sodas bad). Avoid sugar. Pork rinds OK (the bbq ones making a comeback are a personal weakness).

Blueberries, 3/4 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt, pecans - this is a surprisingly enjoyable breakfast.

Crunchy, fiber and mineral rich snack - nuts. I mix unsalted walnuts and almonds with salted cashews. Do not surrender salt, but eat less of it.

Exercise. Cardio and resistance. You don’t have to become a gym rat. I ride my bicycle 20+ miles twice a week and get resistance training using my own body weight while doing chores around the house and yard.

Nut butters good. Eat ‘em on slices of apples, bosc pears, pear apples. Choose basic nut butters (peanuts & salt) over super-processed ones with added sugars.

You might want to reduce your bread intake, and when you do eat bread, make it whole wheat, whole wheat based multigrain, or rye. When my recipe calls for wheat tortillas, I use whole wheat. It’s good.

Watch out for added sugars. Save sugars for the occasional indulgence - that bowl of ice cream or triple dark chocolate brownie.

Be healthy! Best of luck!

VN Store

Back