fastest to rebuild

IMO, the biggest improvement this year was the OL. It appears they could go from worst in the SEC in '18 to maybe the best in '20, especially if Trey Smith stays. The DL was a big surprise this year, as they played much better than many projected. Players are being developed like we haven't seen since the Fulmer years. I'm starting to like this Pruitt guy.
Watch out now, you just qued the "we heard that with/about Butch" talk.

Will game management type offense beat the big boys?

No. At least not until we have an elite defense. But even then it would be difficult as it appears we have been seeing a seismic shift in the SEC from dominating defenses to dominating offenses. Auburn was considered to have an elite defense, likely the best in the SEC, and Bama, with a backup QB, put up 45 points on that defense despite 2 Pick 6s by Mac Jones and missed field goals.

But then again, the Auburn defense held a maybe even better offense (LSU) to 23 points, so who knows from week to week. But bottom line, to be a championship caliber team in the SEC you need both an elite defense and an offense that can score 30 points or better every week.

Reactions: nomads-11
Lights out D and a ball control offense has won a lot of games in the SEC. Don't believe me, look at the first 4 of Saban's championships. Bama's D was nasty and the offense was blah.

I think we see more of this from TN. Pruitt likes hard nosed D and Chaney is all about running the ball and taking shots down field when the opportunity arises.
I think Tennessee is trying to develop a "ball control" defense. Allow the offense to hold the ball but not score. In RPO era, defenses are really put in a tight spot even good ones will give up yards and points. Particularly when linemen can be 3 yards down field.

I have liked Tennessee approach, they are trying to come up with some new tricks to combat the RPO. Many were upset that we gave up so many yards and points and statistically our defense doesn't seem to be improved. Outside the red zone it seems that they are trying to stuff the Run with the front 7 or 6, allow or encourage the short Pass and prevent the long P and yak. (explosive plays).
In the red zone, when the RPO is less effective they and clamp down. They seem to be switching to more conventional aggressive schemes.
The result is the offense holds the ball, runs the clock, and scores relatively very few points.
I think the UT defensive staff may be on to something.

Last edited:
It appears that our defense made the biggest improvement this year although SC, Vandy, Missouri, Kentucky and MSST were not as good as 2018. Our Offense , not so much. Will we see an offensive improvement in Chaney's year two ? In today's game , it appears to me to be elite you must but up a lot of points early and often to the tune of 35 points min against the good teams. I think we are a long wat from that.
As our OL improves, and it will be better next year, the offense will improve. The high scoring offenses almost always hit 2-3 or 4 home runs per game. We don't have enough players that can do that right now. If you look at BAMA and a few others they have 2 wideouts, a tailback and a tight end that can hit the long ball on the field nearly every play. Not to mention a QB who can get the ball to them.

If you go back look at Chaney's offensive rankings at other stops(including here), you will see a pattern. His offense is usually abysmal the first year. It improves dramatically in the second year into mediocrity. From there it usually doesnt get a whole lot better. Uga was the "exception" where the O got up to around 35th I believe, but that was with a offense full of 5 stat players. He's a good OC. Just not a championship OC imo.
CJC is one of the best of scheming for games situation and personnel. I don’t believe he really has an offensive “system” he is a chameleon. He is very adaptable and his offenses are always multiple. He has been pass happy spread to run heavy pro style all points in between.

If you go back look at Chaney's offensive rankings at other stops(including here), you will see a pattern. His offense is usually abysmal the first year. It improves dramatically in the second year into mediocrity. From there it usually doesnt get a whole lot better. Uga was the "exception" where the O got up to around 35th I believe, but that was with a offense full of 5 stat players. He's a good OC. Just not a championship OC imo.
CJC is one of the best of scheming for games situation and personnel. I don’t believe he really has an offensive “system” he is a chameleon. He is very adaptable and his offenses are always multiple. He has been pass happy spread to run heavy pro style all points in between.

It appears that our defense made the biggest improvement this year although SC, Vandy, Missouri, Kentucky and MSST were not as good as 2018. Our Offense , not so much. Will we see an offensive improvement in Chaney's year two ? In today's game , it appears to me to be elite you must but up a lot of points early and often to the tune of 35 points min against the good teams. I think we are a long wat from that.
-Need much better, more consistent and big play ability from QB position.
-Need stud, elite running back(s) to compliment a talented, improving OL
-Need to, obviously, replace two excellent big-bodied playmakers at WR....can Gibbs live up to the rumors out of practice observers who’ve said he’s been lighting up our first team DBs all fall?
-Do we have a high-level SEC TE on the roster? Doesn’t look like it. Perhaps Nieds closes well and we get 5-star Darnell Washington in this next class and he’s that guy as a freshman next year.

Reactions: Remy
Alabama has changed since then (post Kiffy). Offense rules the Tide now.
It was the RPO that changed Bama and the game in general.
I think this year's Bama defense was an aberration not the new normal. Tua’s injury gets the attention but key injuries on the defensive side of the ball hurt them worse in my opinion. With a full strength defense they are undefeated and in the playoff.

Reactions: tbones0711
Offense and defense go together - a high flying quick strike offense leaves the defense on the field a lot of the game. A non flashy time of possession offense that doesn’t put up top stats but scores enough may be what a defensive coach would want.

On paper we are a long way from having an Offense that can be productive vs. Georgia , Florida and Alabama. I hope it develops the opposite.
They were still heavily rotating Oline late in the year and I can’t understand why. It was pretty clear who your 1s were.

You can call him the football Einstein, but it doesn't change the fact that he has had a lot off offenses that finish north of 100 in the rankings.

Reactions: I40flyer
You can call him the football Einstein, but it doesn't change the fact that he has had a lot off offenses that finish north of 100 in the rankings.
CJC is not just an offensive guy, he understands the team game and both sides of the ball. Several games this season demonstrate that. Chaney took the air out the ball and ran the clock or he came out throwing to start Miss St which took them by surprise. He does whatever it takes for a given situation.

Mike Leach is an offensive guy, he could care less that his offense puts a lot of pressure on his own defense, pedal to the floor all the time.
The Service Academies lead the nation in rushing every year, I don't see any P5 teams copying them.

Our HC is a defensive guru and has done well with what he has to play with. Time will tell, but I suspect our defense to be like Alabama’s in 3 years. That takes time and athletes.

On the offense we need the o line to improve and they have but are not elite. If they become elite we will be fine.

Our quarterbacks are all capable when the have time to pass. Don’t get me wrong, an elite qb is a game changer.

Reactions: nomads-11
Our HC is a defensive guru and has done well with what he has to play with. Time will tell, but I suspect our defense to be like Alabama’s in 3 years. That takes time and athletes.

On the offense we need the o line to improve and they have but are not elite. If they become elite we will be fine.

Our quarterbacks are all capable when the have time to pass. Don’t get me wrong, an elite qb is a game changer.

I think the offense overall has been pretty good considering the youth and inexperience we started off with on the line. They have steadly and dramtically improved over the course of the season. Everybody stays reasonably healthy and they will be great.

Reactions: WesternNCVol
They were still heavily rotating Oline late in the year and I can’t understand why. It was pretty clear who your 1s were.

to compete in the SEC at the highest level you better have your 2s play just as well as your 1s and they need to stay fresh....

GO BIG ORANGE!

Unbelievable.

CJC is not just an offensive guy, he understands the team game and both sides of the ball. Several games this season demonstrate that. Chaney took the air out the ball and ran the clock or he came out throwing to start Miss St which took them by surprise. He does whatever it takes for a given situation.

Mike Leach is an offensive guy, he could care less that his offense puts a lot of pressure on his own defense, pedal to the floor all the time.
The Service Academies lead the nation in rushing every year, I don't see any P5 teams copying them.
You must be confusing me with another poster. I've never said anything positive about Mike Leach.

Fumbles and stupid penalties have about as much to do with the limited offensive point production as qb play but then you have to be playing attention to notice it.

Fumbles and stupid penalties have about as much to do with the limited offensive point production as qb play but then you have to be playing attention to notice it.
As does 5 pass interference calls making a secondary softer with thier 3rd string dbs but that didnt stop anyone from hailing JG the next coming after then Missouri game....

It was the RPO that changed Bama and the game in general.
I think this year's Bama defense was an aberration not the new normal. Tua’s injury gets the attention but key injuries on the defensive side of the ball hurt them worse in my opinion. With a full strength defense they are undefeated and in the playoff.

Go back to the playoff games all the way back to where Meyer beat Saban for the NC. His defenses have been giving up large numbers of points for years now against the better teams. Malzahn even in years where Saban beats him, has put up large numbers on the Bama defenses. When Johnny Football was down at A&M he won one and and lost one against the Tide but gained over 50 yards of offense. Even with Pruitt as his DC during that last NC against Clemson, it's not like they shut Clemson down and kept them from scoring.

Go back to the playoff games all the way back to where Meyer beat Saban for the NC. His defenses have been giving up large numbers of points for years now against the better teams. Malzahn even in years where Saban beats him, has put up large numbers on the Bama defenses. When Johnny Football was down at A&M he won one and and lost one against the Tide but gained over 50 yards of offense. Even with Pruitt as his DC during that last NC against Clemson, it's not like they shut Clemson down and kept them from scoring.
You’re still talking about the RPO era. Go back to 2008 and on Bama has had an “explosive” defense until this year. Even in the years you claim the were bad they were disruptive and attacking defense. This year is an anomaly because of injuries in my opinion. And I hate them but I don’t think they’re as bad off as some think. WGWTFA next year, even if they’re good.

VN Store

Back