Fair points for both sides from Andy Staples

Butch Jones must learn to beat Vandy before even thinking about championships, but he hasn't proven he can do that just yet, has he?

Reactions: 1 person
Butch Jones must learn to beat Vandy before even thinking about championships, but he hasn't proven he can do that just yet, has he?

He's beat em twice in 4 tries. Not stellar ( or acceptable) but I think he knew HOW he did it.

Reactions: 2 people
Everything that Andy said was right.

* Butch inherited a dumpster fire
* He recruited well enough to make Tennessee competitive again, week in and week out
* Tennessee has had back to back 9-win seasons
* There were a ton of injuries on defense last year
* There was some bad chemistry on last year's team
* The South Carolina game was inexcusable, no matter how you look at it
* The Vanderbilt game was also a head-scratcher

Big Steve I agree with everything you say but the main problem is those 9 win seasons should have easily been a 10 and 11 win season. Him losing to Florida in 2015 was inexcusable, him losing to SC and Vandy this past season was inexcusable as well. Tennessee should have been back to back SEC Champions and finished in the Top 10 2 years in a row. You can't lose games you're supposed to win

Georgia Tech is an eminently loseable game next year. If Butch drops that one, it could be a season of doom.

Don't know that a loss to GT would spell a season of doom but it would absolutely turn up the heat on CBJ's seat and bring the negavols out en mass. Poor scheduling for a season opener while breaking in a new QB IMHO.

Big Steve I agree with everything you say but the main problem is those 9 win seasons should have easily been a 10 and 11 win season. Him losing to Florida in 2015 was inexcusable, him losing to SC and Vandy this past season was inexcusable as well. Tennessee should have been back to back SEC Champions and finished in the Top 10 2 years in a row. You can't lose games you're supposed to win

You include Florida 2015 as supposed to win? I just checked Odds Shark and the best Tennessee line was even, the best Florida line was 2.5.

Shouldn't have lost the lead we had, I agree!
But you're just making stuff up with the "was supposed to win"

I think we should give him 2017 with the changes in the coaching staff.

I really think our defense will be vastly improved.

I just hope if its not working we dont start getting the excuses.

I think it will become apparent real quick whether the staff changes are having a positive affect.
Particularly in S&C

Andy Staples probably knows about as much as UT football as the average 3rd grader in Tennessee.

You include Florida 2015 as supposed to win? I just checked Odds Shark and the best Tennessee line was even, the best Florida line was 2.5.

Tennessee Volunteers vs Florida Gators Odds - Saturday September 26 2015 | Odds Shark

Out of 14 betting sites Tennessee was favored on 13 of them. Tennessee is the top line

BOVADA.LV

+1.5
Caesars
+1
Westgate
+105
+1.5
BetOnline
+100
+1
MyBookie
Even
Even
Intertops
+1
5Dimes
+1
TopBet
+105
+1
GTBets
+1
SportsBetting
+100
+1
SportBet
+1
Station
+105
+2
Mirage

+1.5
Wynn

+2.5

I think we should give him 2017 with the changes in the coaching staff.

I really think our defense will be vastly improved.

I just hope if its not working we dont start getting the excuses.

I don't think that Debord's leaving bodes well. If he thought he was going to have evenn close to the success in 2017 with one of the new QBs, as he did with Dobbs in 2016, there's no reason to take a lateral move to Indiana, as we could have parlayed 2017 success into a substantial raise at UT. I think he got out while his numbers looked as good as they ever would under CBJ's offense.

As far as Shoop goes, the jury is still out. Even healthy, we struggled a lot, against a lot of teams. I hope the changes at DL, and DB are the keys to getting his system working at UT, but there's just too much unknown there to say for sure right now.

I don't think that Debord's leaving bodes well. If he thought he was going to have evenn close to the success in 2017 with one of the new QBs, as he did with Dobbs in 2016, there's no reason to take a lateral move to Indiana, as we could have parlayed 2017 success into a substantial raise at UT. I think he got out while his numbers looked as good as they ever would under CBJ's offense.

As far as Shoop goes, the jury is still out. Even healthy, we struggled a lot, against a lot of teams. I hope the changes at DL, and DB are the keys to getting his system working at UT, but there's just too much unknown there to say for sure right now.

DeBord was going to retire and go back home to Indiana, instead he's the OC...in Indiana. Spin it the way you're going to anyway...doesn't change the reality.

A 13 pt lead halfway through the 4th quarter is a "supposed to win".

Everything that Andy said was right.

* Butch inherited a dumpster fire
* He recruited well enough to make Tennessee competitive again, week in and week out
* Tennessee has had back to back 9-win seasons
* There were a ton of injuries on defense last year
* There was some bad chemistry on last year's team
* The South Carolina game was inexcusable, no matter how you look at it
* The Vanderbilt game was also a head-scratcher

It's all fine to tout 9-wins seasons, but when your conference record is 5-3 and 4-4, and some of that shine rubs off considering 3 of those 9 wins in 2016 were against, App State, Ohio, and TN Tech.

If we are winning 9 games a year, but still aren't even winning our division, much less competing for SEC championships, what's the point? If Butch's goal is winning championships, there's no path to the CFB playoffs that don't involve winning the SEC.

Other than Alabama, every other school in the SEC is wondering whether their coach can break throughout whatever ceiling exists at their school.

Reactions: 3 people
We always have the Championship of Life to fall back on

Fresh jam yo!
68284ad8b5225d304e84dc7bbc7dd840.gif

It's all fine to tout 9-wins seasons, but when your conference record is 5-3 and 4-4, and some of that shine rubs off considering 3 of those 9 wins in 2016 were against, App State, Ohio, and TN Tech.

If we are winning 9 games a year, but still aren't even winning our division, much less competing for SEC championships, what's the point? If Butch's goal is winning championships, there's no path to the CFB playoffs that don't involve winning the SEC.

Praises be cast upon you for such an enlightened post

May your common sense carry you far in life

VN Store

Back