"Experts say......"

We have to be careful here with an even more often used fallacy--the strawman. After all, most people don't say evolution is true because Dawkins says so. They use the fact that he (an expert) says so as a reason to believe it's more likely true than false.

Do you go to the doctor? Do we use expert opinion in court? Expert opinion doesn't make some proposition true, but most people aren't claiming that anyway.
Sure, it really depends on whether the expert is working within the confines of their expertise and then making an inference to the best explanation. Sadly, there are a lot of areas where expert opinion is colored, by bias and presuppositions.

I see evolution as “God’s paintbrush” FWIW. Our entire biblical view of God always shows him working through a process, why would creation be any different?

What “process” of creating man is outlined in the Bible? According to Genesis it was a one shot deal, in a garden with a talking snake. And I’m not being snooty here, that is the plain reading of the text.

What “process” of creating man is outlined in the Bible? According to Genesis it was a one shot deal, in a garden with a talking snake. And I’m not being snooty here, that is the plain reading of the text.
My approach is that the closer you get to the very beginning and the very end of the Bible, (Genesis and Revelation) the text gets more symbolic and poetic. The very beginning and the very end of the world are concepts that are difficult even for modern readers. I really don’t expect a literal 10 headed dragon to appear out of the ocean at the end times either. The Bible is not meant to be a science book or a history text. It is meant to tell mankind how to related to God. Not to help us pass a history exam

My approach is that the closer you get to the very beginning and the very end of the Bible, (Genesis and Revelation) the text gets more symbolic and poetic. The very beginning and the very end of the world are concepts that are difficult even for modern readers. I really don’t expect a literal 10 headed dragon to appear out of the ocean at the end times either. The Bible is not meant to be a science book or a history text. It is meant to tell mankind how to related to God. Not to help us pass a history exam

I was referring to your comment “biblical view of God always shows him working through a process”. That isn’t true and specifically isn’t true with creation of man and was never viewed that way prior to Darwin.

And agreed the Bible was never intended as a text book and why it has no place in schools outside of a philosophy or theology course.

Reactions: Wafflestomper

VN Store

Back