"Experts say......"

Why exactly is expertise not a good thing? Who do you want to get information from and trust instead? Someone with an agenda that matches yours? Someone who just pretends to know? Someone who just tells you what you want to hear regardless whether it's true or factual?

Personally, as long as they disclose who they are and what makes them an expert, I'll stick with the experts.

Why exactly is expertise not a good thing? Who do you want to get information from and trust instead? Someone with an agenda that matches yours? Someone who just pretends to know? Someone who just tells you what you want to hear regardless whether it's true or factual?

Personally, as long as they disclose who they are and what makes them an expert, I'll stick with the experts.

Are they experts though? For example. I saw a report about the extra federal money ending in some States. Many "experts" said that it is not a good idea. Why? There are many different opinions on this.

Same thing about the masks. Why in the he'll do we wear them outside and after we get the shot?

Rarely is the reason the “expert” label is attributed included in the piece.

I started noticing the prolific use of referencing “experts” back around 2010. I think it’s lazy journalism.

Are they experts though? For example. I saw a report about the extra federal money ending in some States. Many "experts" said that it is not a good idea. Why? There are many different opinions on this.

Same thing about the masks. Why in the he'll do we wear them outside and after we get the shot?
Why did we wear them outside, period?

Reactions: AM64 and 0nelilreb

The experts in media pieces are rarely the experts in a particular field. Those are the "experts" who have a PR firms pushing them, or from politics, thinktanks, and the like.

That’s the point isn’t it. The experts are never disclosed and too often what they are reported to say rarely turns out to be what actual experts say.

Don't blame the public if they are cynical with regards to the "experts". They've done all of the damage to their integrity on their own.

Don't blame the public if they are cynical with regards to the "experts". They've done all of the damage to their integrity on their own.
Experts said:
Y2K
Running out of fossil fuels
Were eugenists
Hillary wins
2.2 US deaths from COVID
Coffee is bad for you
Coffee is good for you
We would enter a depression at the conclusion of WW2
Global warming would destroy us in 10 years in 1989
Global cooling would destroy us 10 years earlier
Masks don’t stop covid
Masks stop COVID
Masks don’t stop COVID again
Etc
Etc
Etc
Edit: I left out the biggest expert fail in my lifetime.
Saddam Hussein was harboring weapons of mass destruction.

Last edited:
Experts said:
Y2K
Running out of fossil fuels
Were eugenists
Hillary wins
2.2 US deaths from COVID
Coffee is bad for you
Coffee is good for you
We would enter a depression at the conclusion of WW2
Global warming would destroy us in 10 years in 1989
Global cooling would destroy us 10 years earlier
Masks don’t stop covid
Masks stop COVID
Masks don’t stop COVID again
Etc
Etc
Etc
Edit: I left out the biggest expert fail in my lifetime.
Saddam Hussein was harboring weapons of mass destruction.
Artificial sweeteners aren't harmful.
Anna Nichol married for love.
I loved the old rocker from The Band.
May he RIP.

Adding experts into a column is simply the writers way of wielding power for their personal agenda for the piece.

If you question them you are now questioning the experts.

It's just more gaslighting.
Appeal to Authority

Logical Form:

According to person 1, who is an expert on the issue of Y, Y is true.

Therefore, Y is true.

Example #1:

Richard Dawkins, an evolutionary biologist and perhaps the foremost expert in the field, says that evolution is true. Therefore, it's true.

Appeal to Authority

Logical Form:

Therefore, Y is true.

Example #1:

Richard Dawkins, an evolutionary biologist and perhaps the foremost expert in the field, says that evolution is true. Therefore, it's true.
And thus going forward it is “settled science”. You wouldn’t question “settled science” would you?

Reactions: Rickyvol77 and NEO
Appeal to Authority

Logical Form:

Therefore, Y is true.

Example #1:

We have to be careful here with an even more often used fallacy--the strawman. After all, most people don't say evolution is true because Dawkins says so. They use the fact that he (an expert) says so as a reason to believe it's more likely true than false.

Do you go to the doctor? Do we use expert opinion in court? Expert opinion doesn't make some proposition true, but most people aren't claiming that anyway.

Reactions: Septic

VN Store

Back