expectations for Nico

The best thing Nico can do is be consistent and take care of the ball. Our offense is predicated on rhythm and timing. If he makes the throw on 1st and 10 to get us to 2nd and under 5 we are a well oiled machine. The problem that we had last season wasn’t Milton turning the ball over, but missing those throws that allowed us to play fast and not get behind the chains. Our offense is very good when it is operating at a high level, but I feel like it’s struggles more than most at 3 and 7 or longer. If Nico doesn’t try to go out there and win the game on every throw and just gets us in the right sets all of those big #’s will follow and I honestly think we will be in CFP contention.

I want to see him lead the offense like a good SEC quarterback can. Get what's there to be had. No miraculous stuff (unless end of game). I don't expect us to go undefeated and win the playoff though it would be great. Just establish ourselves as a legitimate contender and everything else will flow from there. GoVols.

Why use the term “Vol-god” instead of the player’s name? Are you trying to be cute (It’s not) or trying to make yourself sound intelligent ( it doesn’t).
Why not use Vol-god? You sound like one of those art, and creative writing teachers I had in college who didn't teach so much as try to stifle, smolder, and kill the creativity of students. Always demanding we do things their way, always. All for their own egoistical purpose. We got creative and got rid of them, had the administration assign us new teachers who knew how to teach and encourage instead of destroy students. To answer your question, in the past, some VN'ers got ballistic, totally postal if anyone spoke of Peyton in less than glowing terms. Some of their reactions read as outright threats. Me? I have an annoying habit of running toward threats instead of away from them. But mostly, I enjoy creating words, phrases, and nicknames just for the heck of it. It matters not to me if others like it or not. Besides all that, no one has to pay attention to it. We even have an IGNORE selection to make sure you don't. I will always be me, as you will always be you. Meanwhile: I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure that you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Reactions: #1HomeGrownUTVOL
Y'all, right now I am watching NC St Spring game on ACC network. They acknowledge their game with us should be a big one.

Then they say, Tennessee likes their QB ... but the best one on the field that day should be the Wolfpack's Grayson McCall.
😲

Oh, HELL naw!

Last edited:
Y'all, right now I am watching NC St Spring game on ACC network. They acknowledge their game with us should be a big one.

Then they say, Tennessee likes their QB ... but the best one on the field that day should be the Wolfpack's Grayson McCall.

Oh, HELL naw! 😲
McCall, a 3 time Sun Belt POY is a very good QB and a very good portal get for them. He will be a hand full for our secondary. McCall has the experience edge but Nico the talent edge.

I was wondering what people are going to call him when he makes a bad throw. "Overthrow Nico" just doesn't sound right.

I was wondering what people are going to call him when he makes a bad throw. "Overthrow Nico" just doesn't sound right.
I won't be doing that, but fickle fans, more likely, they'll call him Sad Sack. Unfortunately.

I see a few nay-sayers.

A few more wait-and-see types.

A bit of BVS sprinkled about.

But mostly it's just a lack of imagination, an inability to see beyond the past, to imagine change before it arrives.

Led by Nico, we're gonna surprise a lot of folks this fall, including quite a few Vols fans on these boards. I look forward to them admitting that they didn't see it coming.

Gonna be a fun season.

Go Vols!
If he has a Peyton Manning (esq) sophomore ‘95 season, I will be on board for the full ride!

If he doesn’t or, does not have a Hendon Hooker senior season this year, again, this board will go into full meltdown!

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
Last edited:
Nah Nico a cool customer he will look more like Tua and Bryce at Bama year 1… I know expectations are high but I believe he is going to dominate… he has all the uncoachable traits in bunches… the one thing I hated about JG the most was he got sacked easy… there is nothing more I hate in a Qb is an easy sack Nico is the complete opposite he moves and is very elusive and twitchy with great feel for pressure and instinct… you can’t coach that… you either got it or you don’t all of the things that he needs to improve on are coachable… reading defenses understanding the why behind the gameplan and play calls… these things can and will get better with continued work in the off season and 2 of the most proven Qb coaches in the nation… Heup has never had a Qb with a ceiling higher than Nico’s and he is about to unleash a monster on the nation.
I approve.

😁

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
The best thing Nico can do is be consistent and take care of the ball. Our offense is predicated on rhythm and timing. If he makes the throw on 1st and 10 to get us to 2nd and under 5 we are a well oiled machine. The problem that we had last season wasn’t Milton turning the ball over, but missing those throws that allowed us to play fast and not get behind the chains. Our offense is very good when it is operating at a high level, but I feel like it’s struggles more than most at 3 and 7 or longer. If Nico doesn’t try to go out there and win the game on every throw and just gets us in the right sets all of those big #’s will follow and I honestly think we will be in CFP contention.
This!

I think Nico sitting for a year has some people trepidatious about his skillset. IMO this works out the way it did for Mahomes in KC when he sat behind Alex Smith for a year even though there was a substantial talent difference.

Make no mistake, this guy has more raw talent than anyone we’ve had taking snaps since Peyton. And this offense gets WRs open. That’s a recipe for success.

Nico’s play in the bowl game was behind probably the worst version of our OL we had fielded all year and against one of the best front 7s we’d faced all year. Still the offense moved down the field consistently at a beat we hadn’t seen once during the 2023 season.

I rarely take such hard stances on players’ potential ability but he makes it look easy every time he steps onto the field. He’s gonna make these next two years a very fun time on Rocky Top and if the DBs and OL hold up then we can go toe to toe with anybody this year.

I think Nico sitting for a year has some people trepidatious about his skillset. IMO this works out the way it did for Mahomes in KC when he sat behind Alex Smith for a year even though there was a substantial talent difference.

Make no mistake, this guy has more raw talent than anyone we’ve had taking snaps since Peyton. And this offense gets WRs open. That’s a recipe for success.

Nico’s play in the bowl game was behind probably the worst version of our OL we had fielded all year and against one of the best front 7s we’d faced all year. Still the offense moved down the field consistently at a beat we hadn’t seen once during the 2023 season.

I rarely take such hard stances on players’ potential ability but he makes it look easy every time he steps onto the field. He’s gonna make these next two years a very fun time on Rocky Top and if the DBs and OL hold up then we can go toe to toe with anybody this year.
Just a note on the OL in the Iowa game. They were leaky from time to time. But in that game I think I saw something, that at least to me, was new. Or just pay attention to all the other games. They herded the Iowa DL-men into a corral where they were bunched together, basically becoming their own stumbling block. It's when this didn't happen, the DL burst through to harass and sack Nico. It will be interesting to see if this new OL does the same, perhaps more consistently, or something else. I do think Nico, when he commits himself to do so, has the feet to penalize defense blitzes. Though I fear sooner or later, someone will get a shot on him that results in more than an uuuump or ouch. Just the same, I like concept of herd and corral.

VN Store

Back