expectations for Nico

oldvol50

I expect Nico's year to follow Hendon's first year here. Granted, HH had Power 5 starting experience, but was exposed to Heupel's offense for only about 3 months when the season started, Nico will have had over 18 months in the system. Hendon was ok, subbing in the Pitt game but he did throw the big pick. His start at Florida wasn't bad but things fell apart after the Callaway 4th down drop. The offense was ground oriented and the passing game sporadic with some small improvement game by game. Then the trip to Columbia where again it was the ground game but some signs of Hendon grasping the offense were evident. followed by the spectacular SCar blowout where Hendon ran and passed best all season exhibiting a firm grasp of CJH's basic offense. From that point on the offense was good and better as Hendon's knowledge of the details continued to grow, culminating with a huge bowl game and HH already becoming a Heisman candidate.

Both QB's are smart, committed to learning the O, have good feet and good instincts. Nico will have the benefit of a far superior defense and the Florida game in Knoxville. Vols will have a better record because of the D but in terms of Nico, I would expect him to be beyond good trending to terrific by game 5 or 6.

This year? Good but not great. Moments that drop your jàw in amazement. Others that drop your jàw at the lack of situational awareness.

2025? Better be something really special.
Nah Nico a cool customer he will look more like Tua and Bryce at Bama year 1… I know expectations are high but I believe he is going to dominate… he has all the uncoachable traits in bunches… the one thing I hated about JG the most was he got sacked easy… there is nothing more I hate in a Qb is an easy sack Nico is the complete opposite he moves and is very elusive and twitchy with great feel for pressure and instinct… you can’t coach that… you either got it or you don’t all of the things that he needs to improve on are coachable… reading defenses understanding the why behind the gameplan and play calls… these things can and will get better with continued work in the off season and 2 of the most proven Qb coaches in the nation… Heup has never had a Qb with a ceiling higher than Nico’s and he is about to unleash a monster on the nation.

I expect Nic to be a talented freshman QB with growing pains, not unlike the Vol-god that once played at the UT. Being young, I anticipate lapses where Ego (not the living planet) gets the best of him a few times, and he makes some bonehead blunders in a game. Probably happens only once cause he's smart enough to not repeat it. I expect him, much as he resists letting the hype stain his brain, it does, and he throws some passes he shouldn't have, that cost the team big time and he knows it. Growing pains. I'd not be surprised if he's even benched once or twice and the filling station man comes in to provide service. Even the Vol-god wasn't perfect his first year. Down the road, Nic is going to do something that unjustly escaped the Vol-god, and he's going to win that dayum trophy at least twice afore he's done.

Brace for the impact of the thermonuclear tipped air launched rapid response weapon (ARRW) from the triggered.

Nah Nico a cool customer he will look more like Tua and Bryce at Bama year 1… I know expectations are high but I believe he is going to dominate… he has all the uncoachable traits in bunches… the one thing I hated about JG the most was he got sacked easy… there is nothing more I hate in a Qb is an easy sack Nico is the complete opposite he moves and is very elusive and twitchy with great feel for pressure and instinct… you can’t coach that… you either got it or you don’t all of the things that he needs to improve on are coachable… reading defenses understanding the why behind the gameplan and play calls… these things can and will get better with continued work in the off season and 2 of the most proven Qb coaches in the nation… Heup has never had a Qb with a ceiling higher than Nico’s and he is about to unleash a monster on the nation.
Nico was sacked 6 times against Iowa...

Also ran for 3 tds on a team that gave up less than 5 rushing tds all season… eye test none of his sacks were kill shots because he couldn’t feel the pressure… a few he was trying to do too much I’ll take that in a first start… it’s different caliber of sacks eye test over stats… 35-0 first start vs a top 10 defense with a mostly backup OL… yall just get ya popcorn ready…

Also ran for 3 tds on a team that gave up less than 5 rushing tds all season… eye test none of his sacks were kill shots because he couldn’t feel the pressure… a few he was trying to do too much I’ll take that in a first start… it’s different caliber of sacks eye test over stats… 35-0 first start vs a top 10 defense with a mostly backup OL… yall just get ya popcorn ready…
I think you just proved the point that you countered. I don't have any expectations for a new quarterback. I agree with the poster you countered that he will probably have some flashes of greatness and some oops moments. The coaches will have to work with the teams abilities and not just the quarterbacks.

I see a few nay-sayers.

A few more wait-and-see types.

A bit of BVS sprinkled about.

But mostly it's just a lack of imagination, an inability to see beyond the past, to imagine change before it arrives.

Led by Nico, we're gonna surprise a lot of folks this fall, including quite a few Vols fans on these boards. I look forward to them admitting that they didn't see it coming.

Gonna be a fun season.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
I think you just proved the point that you countered. I don't have any expectations for a new quarterback. I agree with the poster you countered that he will probably have some flashes of greatness and some oops moments. The coaches will have to work with the teams abilities and not just the quarterbacks.
The team is pretty loaded the most concerning thing is OL depth but we are building that this spring… the Nico we saw vs Iowa was really good and he will be much better than that by week 1 I don’t think he will have many terrible moments but he definitely will make mistakes all qbs do… but he is the type of qb that will give us a chance to win every single game and under a top 5 offensive coach and qb coach in the nation he will be set up for success… he got that feel for the game and shiftiness that can’t be taught the rest will take care of itself under heup and Halzle

Reactions: g0d0fm15ch13f
I expect Nico's year to follow Hendon's first year here. Granted, HH had Power 5 starting experience, but was exposed to Heupel's offense for only about 3 months when the season started, Nico will have had over 18 months in the system. Hendon was ok, subbing in the Pitt game but he did throw the big pick. His start at Florida wasn't bad but things fell apart after the Callaway 4th down drop. The offense was ground oriented and the passing game sporadic with some small improvement game by game. Then the trip to Columbia where again it was the ground game but some signs of Hendon grasping the offense were evident. followed by the spectacular SCar blowout where Hendon ran and passed best all season exhibiting a firm grasp of CJH's basic offense. From that point on the offense was good and better as Hendon's knowledge of the details continued to grow, culminating with a huge bowl game and HH already becoming a Heisman candidate.

Both QB's are smart, committed to learning the O, have good feet and good instincts. Nico will have the benefit of a far superior defense and the Florida game in Knoxville. Vols will have a better record because of the D but in terms of Nico, I would expect him to be beyond good trending to terrific by game 5 or 6.
Wrong title! Should have read "Hendon Recap and Nico hopefully better".

Stop that....😁

but that's a concern I have with the young RB not being able to pick up the rush along with OL play in general. Hoping the game has slowed down enough to avoid rush and make a play or just get rid of the ball

Reactions: HalfullVol
I expect Nic to be a talented freshman QB with growing pains, not unlike the Vol-god that once played at the UT. Being young, I anticipate lapses where Ego (not the living planet) gets the best of him a few times, and he makes some bonehead blunders in a game. Probably happens only once cause he's smart enough to not repeat it. I expect him, much as he resists letting the hype stain his brain, it does, and he throws some passes he shouldn't have, that cost the team big time and he knows it. Growing pains. I'd not be surprised if he's even benched once or twice and the filling station man comes in to provide service. Even the Vol-god wasn't perfect his first year. Down the road, Nic is going to do something that unjustly escaped the Vol-god, and he's going to win that dayum trophy at least twice afore he's done.

Brace for the impact of the thermonuclear tipped air launched rapid response weapon (ARRW) from the triggered.
Why use the term “Vol-god” instead of the player’s name? Are you trying to be cute (It’s not) or trying to make yourself sound intelligent ( it doesn’t).

Command the offense with confidence. Don’t turn the ball over. Don’t get hurt. Efficiently lead balanced attack. Everything else is gravy.

To me, this feels like a beat expectations year. Think D will be better. Maybe not sec champ game year but think playoffs certainly in reach if a few bounces go our way.

VN Store

Back