Everyone Gang Up On Me in Here

I just got back from New Orleans, and I'm too tired to go thru every thread at the moment. I'm sure I will eventually. So I figured I'd create a little space for everyone to rub last nite in.

My thoughts:

-Ohio State outplayed, outcoached, and outclassed Alabama. There is no other way to say it. The game was not as close as the score. OSU quite easily could have won by three scores.

-I'm officially off the Kirby Smart bandwagon. It's Saban's scheme, so Nick shoulders some of the blame, but Kirby is calling the plays, and it's become comically bad. Midway thru the third quarter, OSU was 1 of 4 on 3rd & 3 or less, but 7 of 7 on 3rd & 6 or more. That is pathetic.

But this problem didn't begin last nite. Beginning with the Arkansas game (and not including 1AA Western Carolina), Bama's defense has allowed 3rd down conversions roughly 35% of the time. That's certainly not bad. But the truly insane statistic is that Bama has given up 3rd & 6 or longer at a clip of 42%, and a 3rd & 8 or longer at a baffling rate of 45%. Somehow, Bama's defense has been at a disadvantage the longer the YTG on 3rd down.

-Bama's CBs have been mediocre all year. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how it is that Bama doesn't have better players than 2 converted WRs and Eddie "Burnt Toast" Jackson. Bama has two of the top four CBs from the class of '14 on the roster, and they've combined for about 20 garbage time snaps this year. The word is always that the defensive scheme is too complicated for younger players to pick up. Well, if the scheme is causing you to keep your best talent on the bench, then you might want to simplify the scheme.

-It wasn't Kiffin's best game, but he isn't the reason Bama lost. Sims was awful, as he was against LSU and the first half against Auburn. Just like those games, Kiffin tried to let him throw his way out of the slump. Sims couldn't do that last nite. Kiffin should have run the ball more, but I understand what he was trying to do. A bunch of media folks were questioning the decision to throw after the 21 yard punt in the 4th, but the fact is that Howard's route was going to be open. He was headed to the back of the endzone, and if Sims had put air under the ball, it's a likely TD. Instead, Sims threw it on a rope, and even if Bell hadn't stepped in front, Howard would have had to stop and reach behind himself to make the catch. That's not on Kiffin, that's on Sims. Not seeing a 300 lb man standing in front of Cooper is not on Kiffin, that's on Sims.

In the end, Bama scored 35 points. That should be enough to win any game. So again, that's not on Kiffin. He was far from perfect, but he had a better nite than Saban and Smart.

-JK Scott is a freaking machine. But for him having one of the best punting performances I've ever seen, Bama wouldn't have even been in the game late. When your punter is far-and-away your MVP, you had a bad nite.

-I hope Nick Saban coaches for several years to come, but I hope Bama never plays in another Sugar Bowl while he's our coach. Under Saban, Bama is 5-0 in all bowls other than the Sugar, where they are 0-3. If Bama gets another invite, I hope we'll politely decline.

My assesmemt post game was the same as yours and it wasn't a universally agreed upon one. A lot of people want to say Kiffin and the pass but the backbone of Bama is defense and it failed you. For all the number one recruiting classes that entire defensive staff should be embarrassed by the piss poor secondary and lack of pass rush. Those were some Richt level inexplainable holes.

I agree with that. He should have called plays to protect Sims rather than wake him up.

just want to ask, with the best recruiting classes in a few years , why does it seem that your defense is not top notch, suspect at times?..that confuses me.

I've been told that you can't blame the coaches it's up to players to execute. I've also been told that couch coaches are stupid and shouldn't second guess actual coaches that are at that level.

I agree somewhat. Most couch coaches are stupid, especially the ones that have never actually coached a team. Bama players were put in positions to make a play. Close games are determined by players making a play here or there, the osu rb did just that by breaking an 85 yard run late in the game. But to only get about 4 plays and a Hail Mary with a 1:40 or so on the clock is poor mgt. I think Bama threw two passes that were not over ten yards. Coaching takes that aspect out of a qb in practice. You would rather a qb throw it away than dump a pass for 4 yards. Also, most teams have a memorized play set to go to if no timeouts in a two minute drill. Bama took way to long to get plays in. That part appeared to be coaching, as well as the waste of two timeouts earlier in the half.

My measly theory is that talent dominant teams like Bama, LSU, even UGA are just as vulnerable if not more so to a mental collapse when they get punched in the mouth. They are used to doing all the punching. Their coaches too. Iron bowl a year ago. LSU in the NC rematch with Bama. FSU against OR. UGA every year etc etc. They get used to their talent eeking out wins even with bad calls. It can take longer for the fear to set in but you can see it happen and then they make mistakes you would think of lesser teams making.

All coaches have bad games, whether it be playcalling, poor decisions, or clock management. But it is shocking to see Saban coached teams to have as many bad games as he has had this year. I know some will say he went 12-2. But they have had personnell exchanges, defenses not lining up right, not once but several times in the same game, etc more this year than he has had in all the years at Bama imo. Maybe they were just spoiled having mccarron in there that made everything right.

just want to ask, with the best recruiting classes in a few years , why does it seem that your defense is not top notch, suspect at times?..that confuses me.

I can't really explain it. The line has been much improved this year, but the corners are below average at best. We lost some guys to the league last year, and all of our corners are new starters. But that doesn't explain the inability to cover deep. The fundamentals have been extremely poor this year.

I can't really explain it. The line has been much improved this year, but the corners are below average at best. We lost some guys to the league last year, and all of our corners are new starters. But that doesn't explain the inability to cover deep. The fundamentals have been extremely poor this year.

I couldn't believe the gaping holes in coverage OSU was finding in the deep middle of the defense. Seemed like a schematic issue that Meyer saw on film and exploited.

How much attrition did you guys have to graduation and early entry to the draft last year? (Could have something to do with it.)

A struggling QB needs to lean on a running game. Henry was averaging over 7 yds a carry and was only handed the ball 13 times. He is the type of back that gets better with carries, especially in the 2nd half. The running game late in the game was shelved as Henry was handed the ball 4 times, the other plays were passes or Sims scrambling after attempting a pass.

A ton. Still, none of the starting DBs are freshmen.

Still, though, it was having to replace a lot / new(er) starters.

Had you all had a year comparable to that much attrition?

(I know the NFL early entry numbers were through the roof that year...they had a final tally of 102 for the last draft compared to the previous year's record of 73.)

Man, i dont even know how to carry on a conversion with u. you make rational, well thought out statements.....not used to this from a bammer fan.....the bammers down the street are sick of it and are ready to clean house..LOL
That's fair. I have no idea why we didn't spike the ball a couple of times.

But I don't think it would have mattered. Sims was mentally ruined by that point.

I just got back from New Orleans, and I'm too tired to go thru every thread at the moment. I'm sure I will eventually. So I figured I'd create a little space for everyone to rub last nite in.

My thoughts:

-Ohio State outplayed, outcoached, and outclassed Alabama. There is no other way to say it. The game was not as close as the score. OSU quite easily could have won by three scores.

-I'm officially off the Kirby Smart bandwagon. It's Saban's scheme, so Nick shoulders some of the blame, but Kirby is calling the plays, and it's become comically bad. Midway thru the third quarter, OSU was 1 of 4 on 3rd & 3 or less, but 7 of 7 on 3rd & 6 or more. That is pathetic.

But this problem didn't begin last nite. Beginning with the Arkansas game (and not including 1AA Western Carolina), Bama's defense has allowed 3rd down conversions roughly 35% of the time. That's certainly not bad. But the truly insane statistic is that Bama has given up 3rd & 6 or longer at a clip of 42%, and a 3rd & 8 or longer at a baffling rate of 45%. Somehow, Bama's defense has been at a disadvantage the longer the YTG on 3rd down.

-Bama's CBs have been mediocre all year. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how it is that Bama doesn't have better players than 2 converted WRs and Eddie "Burnt Toast" Jackson. Bama has two of the top four CBs from the class of '14 on the roster, and they've combined for about 20 garbage time snaps this year. The word is always that the defensive scheme is too complicated for younger players to pick up. Well, if the scheme is causing you to keep your best talent on the bench, then you might want to simplify the scheme.

-It wasn't Kiffin's best game, but he isn't the reason Bama lost. Sims was awful, as he was against LSU and the first half against Auburn. Just like those games, Kiffin tried to let him throw his way out of the slump. Sims couldn't do that last nite. Kiffin should have run the ball more, but I understand what he was trying to do. A bunch of media folks were questioning the decision to throw after the 21 yard punt in the 4th, but the fact is that Howard's route was going to be open. He was headed to the back of the endzone, and if Sims had put air under the ball, it's a likely TD. Instead, Sims threw it on a rope, and even if Bell hadn't stepped in front, Howard would have had to stop and reach behind himself to make the catch. That's not on Kiffin, that's on Sims. Not seeing a 300 lb man standing in front of Cooper is not on Kiffin, that's on Sims.

In the end, Bama scored 35 points. That should be enough to win any game. So again, that's not on Kiffin. He was far from perfect, but he had a better nite than Saban and Smart.

-JK Scott is a freaking machine. But for him having one of the best punting performances I've ever seen, Bama wouldn't have even been in the game late. When your punter is far-and-away your MVP, you had a bad nite.

-I hope Nick Saban coaches for several years to come, but I hope Bama never plays in another Sugar Bowl while he's our coach. Under Saban, Bama is 5-0 in all bowls other than the Sugar, where they are 0-3. If Bama gets another invite, I hope we'll politely decline.

Attack down field on Bama. I think everyone on earth knows this.

Bama has become the hunted. Their QB and lack of standouts in the defensive line hurt them this year. Kifturd got all he could out of Simms. He wasn't that good to begin with.

Everyone is tired of hearing how great Bama is. So when these Bowl games come around they get teams best shot. They got beat by a better team this time. That has been a very rare thing lately. Urban Meyer maybe a flaky individual but he's a good coach. OSU looked like a upper crust SEC team the other night. He's got the talent there.

My thoughts:

Nice post BW. A competent QB would have won that game.

I told my wife during the game that even if Bama did win they had too many injuries to compete with Oregon. These semi final games are going to be slobber knockers. At least one team will pay the price just getting to the big game.

Reactions: 1 person
A ton. Still, none of the starting DBs are freshmen.

see this is what i dont understand, these kids have been in the same system for a couple years. why are they not able to cover?.. it looks like to me that who ever recruited these kids only looked at the stars on espn instead of actually testing or practicing these kids in camps..imo

I reveled over the iron bowl debacle last year,and I am equally giddy over the bammer loss to osu. Screw bama. I will not pull for them under any circumstances ever !

VN Store

Back