Everyone Gang Up On Me in Here

None of the INTs put the defense into bad position. One was returned for a TD, the second was inside the opponents' 5 yard line, and the third ended the game in the opposing endzone. It's not like Bama was turning it over in their own redzone, leaving the defense completely screwed. OSU's shortest scoring drive was 71 yards.

The defense allowed a 200 yard rusher, and 59% on 3rd down including 70% on 3rd & 6+. Even if Bama had won, that's not "good enough".

Pretty much.

Bamas best defense stood up in the 4th (all but one occasion) when they kept OSU pinned deep. Other than that they got ripped pretty good the rest of the time.

Very thoughtful OP.

But do not despair.

The difference between teams like Alabama, versus dumpster fires like Florida, South Carolina, and perhaps even Tennessee to a lesser degree, is that Alabama can point to about three or four specific player positions or categories of performance (i.e. third-and-x) that, if Alabama fixed, would turn it into a juggernaut again. These other teams have deep problems at so many positions, so many performance categories, that it takes sweeping change or improvement to see light at the tunnel.

For you, its "we need a better right tackle to block Sims' weak side on those 10 yard outs."

For us, its "our offense sucks."

Reactions: 2 people
I just got back from New Orleans, and I'm too tired to go thru every thread at the moment. I'm sure I will eventually. So I figured I'd create a little space for everyone to rub last nite in.

My thoughts:

-Ohio State outplayed, outcoached, and outclassed Alabama. There is no other way to say it. The game was not as close as the score. OSU quite easily could have won by three scores.

-I'm officially off the Kirby Smart bandwagon. It's Saban's scheme, so Nick shoulders some of the blame, but Kirby is calling the plays, and it's become comically bad. Midway thru the third quarter, OSU was 1 of 4 on 3rd & 3 or less, but 7 of 7 on 3rd & 6 or more. That is pathetic.

But this problem didn't begin last nite. Beginning with the Arkansas game (and not including 1AA Western Carolina), Bama's defense has allowed 3rd down conversions roughly 35% of the time. That's certainly not bad. But the truly insane statistic is that Bama has given up 3rd & 6 or longer at a clip of 42%, and a 3rd & 8 or longer at a baffling rate of 45%. Somehow, Bama's defense has been at a disadvantage the longer the YTG on 3rd down.

-Bama's CBs have been mediocre all year. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how it is that Bama doesn't have better players than 2 converted WRs and Eddie "Burnt Toast" Jackson. Bama has two of the top four CBs from the class of '14 on the roster, and they've combined for about 20 garbage time snaps this year. The word is always that the defensive scheme is too complicated for younger players to pick up. Well, if the scheme is causing you to keep your best talent on the bench, then you might want to simplify the scheme.

-It wasn't Kiffin's best game, but he isn't the reason Bama lost. Sims was awful, as he was against LSU and the first half against Auburn. Just like those games, Kiffin tried to let him throw his way out of the slump. Sims couldn't do that last nite. Kiffin should have run the ball more, but I understand what he was trying to do. A bunch of media folks were questioning the decision to throw after the 21 yard punt in the 4th, but the fact is that Howard's route was going to be open. He was headed to the back of the endzone, and if Sims had put air under the ball, it's a likely TD. Instead, Sims threw it on a rope, and even if Bell hadn't stepped in front, Howard would have had to stop and reach behind himself to make the catch. That's not on Kiffin, that's on Sims. Not seeing a 300 lb man standing in front of Cooper is not on Kiffin, that's on Sims.

In the end, Bama scored 35 points. That should be enough to win any game. So again, that's not on Kiffin. He was far from perfect, but he had a better nite than Saban and Smart.

-JK Scott is a freaking machine. But for him having one of the best punting performances I've ever seen, Bama wouldn't have even been in the game late. When your punter is far-and-away your MVP, you had a bad nite.

-I hope Nick Saban coaches for several years to come, but I hope Bama never plays in another Sugar Bowl while he's our coach. Under Saban, Bama is 5-0 in all bowls other than the Sugar, where they are 0-3. If Bama gets another invite, I hope we'll politely decline.

Yeah, ok, but did you see how one of your fellow bama fans **** on a plant in the middle of New Orleans?

Your thoughts?

Reactions: 6 people
All of that might be true. But the poorest 2 minute drill that I've seen in awhile was Kiffins fault that last drive. What did they get...something like 4 plays and a Hail Mary throw in 1:49?

I've been told that you can't blame the coaches it's up to players to execute. I've also been told that couch coaches are stupid and shouldn't second guess actual coaches that are at that level.

Reactions: 1 person
The important thing is that bama lost. Let's not lose sight of that while pondering why.

Reactions: 3 people
Yo I hope you had fun. Glad to have you around so don't run off. Agree with your assessment except Kiffin. He called a crappy game. Saban had some trouble managing Smart and Kiffin. It was lovely to watch 😎

tumblr_m3mgkaggaK1qhtx2b.gif

/\ awesome

All of that might be true. But the poorest 2 minute drill that I've seen in awhile was Kiffins fault that last drive. What did they get...something like 4 plays and a Hail Mary throw in 1:49?

Coaches blew their time outs for dumb stuff. You know they wish they had those back at the end :eek:lol: it was poor coaching at its best!

Yo I hope you had fun. Glad to have you around so don't run off. Agree with your assessment except Kiffin. He called a crappy game. Saban had some trouble managing Smart and Kiffin. It was lovely to watch 😎

Sorry, but 35 points should win a game. If it doesn't, it's because the defense sucks.

The only reason Bama really put up points was the two turnovers in the first half and then some easy scores down the end. They abandoned the run after taking a 21-6 lead with about 8 minutes to go in the 1st half.

The D did not play great but the offense was in panic-mode which lead to momentum, without the great punt job OS could have won by a huge margin, excellent punting kept Bama in the game.

Henry/Yeldon only rushed 11 times! after Bama took a 21-6 lead with 8 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter. When Bama went down by 6, it was panic mode, pass, pass, pass, interception, pass, pass, etc.

I didn't think they played horrible... playcalling was horrible

I had to admit that the offensive play calling in the first half was very good.........

Second half??? Wow, what the H@!! was that?

Of course this is where we always ask:

Why does Kiffy wear a visor???

..............To cover up his Circumcision Scar.

Yeah, ok, but did you see how one of your fellow bama fans **** on a plant in the middle of New Orleans?

Your thoughts?

It would've been much more entertaing to see them in the Fiesta Bowl...Tea Bagging cacti. IMHO

Sorry, but 35 points should win a game. If it doesn't, it's because the defense sucks.

Those are words I never thought I would hear from a Bama fan! Think Smart gets out while he can? Didn't the Defense set up at least 14 points? 35 does not give Kiffin a pass.

Those are words I never thought I would hear from a Bama fan! Think Smart gets out while he can? Didn't the Defense set up at least 14 points? 35 does not give Kiffin a pass.

He doesn't get a pass, I agree. But between Kiffin's peformance and Smart's, Kiffin gets the nod.

While Bama should have run more, it's not like Kiffin was calling 75% passes. Yeldon and Henry only touched it 11 times after we got up by 15, but Sims only threw it 13 times before OSU went up by 14, and running was no longer an option. The playcalling wasn't great, but Sims' play was a much bigger issue.

but would this not encourage kiffen to go back to run game if your qb is struggling?

but would this not encourage kiffen to go back to run game if your qb is struggling?

I would have preferred that. But I understand what Kiffin was trying to do. Against LSU and Auburn, Kiffin called passes to work Sims out of his slump. He tried to do the same last nite. It worked then, but not against OSU. Again, Kiffin was far from perfect, but the offense was not the reason Bama lost.

I would have preferred that. But I understand what Kiffin was trying to do. Against LSU and Auburn, Kiffin called passes to work Sims out of his slump. He tried to do the same last nite. It worked then, but not against OSU. Again, Kiffin was far from perfect, but the offense was not the reason Bama lost.

your right offense was not the reason you lost.
your defense did..but if kiffin had stuck to the run instead of trying to get sims out of his slump, the defense would not have been on the field to give up all those points. imo

this game was not the time to get him out of a slump. when you see he is struggling work around him. then do the little things to bring him back into focus..not 3 and outs.

your right offense was not the reason you lost.
your defense did..but if kiffin had stuck to the run instead of trying to get sims out of his slump, the defense would not have been on the field to give up all those points. imo

this game was not the time to get him out of a slump. when you see he is struggling work around him. then do the little things to bring him back into focus..not 3 and outs.

I agree with that. He should have called plays to protect Sims rather than wake him up.

VN Store

Back