Every Oklahoma Football player on scholarship will receive $50k in NIL money a year

I not only realized it...it was explained to me in 1968 when I was being recruited to play for Coach Bryant at Alabama. Envelopes stuffed with cash slipped under your dorm room door. A little classier than a McDonald's bag I suppose. "Full compensation" is a meaningless term. Who decides what is "Full"..??
My point is simply that the EDUCATION and other benefits our athletes receive isn't "Nothing". I apologize if that came across as a bit harsh, that wasn't my intent. It's a bit of a sore point with me when I hear college football players wondering why they have to go to classes when they're only there ( college) to get ready for the NFL.

I agree they should attend classes...however it is a sore point for me when people get upset that the players are finally allowed to enjoiy the fruits of their labor.

Why should they not be compensated at a market level or forced to work for less than their value? And they are doing this while those around them benefit greatly from their efforts.

Worth the time to read or find the podcast regarding the same topic

Would Paying College Players Really Destroy Competitive Balance? - Freakonomics

Reactions: ArmchairQB
I agree they should attend classes...however it is a sore point for me when people get upset that the players are finally allowed to enjoiy the fruits of their labor.

Why should they not be compensated at a market level or forced to work for less than their value? And they are doing this while those around them benefit greatly from their efforts.

Worth the time to read or find the podcast regarding the same topic

Would Paying College Players Really Destroy Competitive Balance? - Freakonomics
Good article there. You can probably make a case that football is pretty similar. Here in a little bit, Oklahoma and Texas will join the SEC. When that happens, here's a look at SEC teams that rank in the top 25, all time, for wins in division 1 football:
Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas, Tennessee, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M, Florida, Arkansas

Forty percent of the top 25 teams all-time, in one conference. It's not too much of a stretch to say that the competitive balance ship has already sailed, and that it'll take something like actual compensation to restore some semblance of balance nationally.

They aren’t giving every player money just for the sake of being on scholarship.

I would imagine every player on our roster, scholarship or not, can make money through Spyre if they want to. However, 50k/year for the long snapper is probably not happening here right now. But they'll probably still get him some deals.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Good article there. You can probably make a case that football is pretty similar. Here in a little bit, Oklahoma and Texas will join the SEC. When that happens, here's a look at SEC teams that rank in the top 25, all time, for wins in division 1 football:
Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas, Tennessee, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M, Florida, Arkansas

Forty percent of the top 25 teams all-time, in one conference. It's not too much of a stretch to say that the competitive balance ship has already sailed, and that it'll take something like actual compensation to restore some semblance of balance nationally.

Not Just Another Labor Force - Freakonomics

Edit one...the above link is interesting but not the one i was thinking of...i will add it in a bit

Edit two...

How About a Free Market for College Athletes? - Freakonomics

Edit three...the first link....go to the 10 minute mark amd start listening

An even better and more recent article

I am a Freakonomics fan...their podcsts are without a doubt my favorites outside of UT football podcasts in the fall.

Last edited:
I would imagine every player on our roster, scholarship or not, can make money through Spyre if they want to. However, 50k/year for the long snapper is probably not happening here right now. But they'll probably still get him some deals.

College free agency in the 2020's.

VN Store

Back