Every Oklahoma Football player on scholarship will receive $50k in NIL money a year

This is always where this was headed and it’s going to destroy the sport, and the young adults in it.

I find the view that *NOT* exploiting young men solely for the profits of others to be a bit misguided. Sure, some of these young men will get big paychecks, waste it, and never learn how to manage their money. But that could happen even without NIL. What's much more egregious is a bunch of college administrators (and even coaches) making a fortune off these young men, while the players get nothing.

Honestly I always thought of NIL as making money off your name/image buy selling merch, signing different merch, commercials, video games, showing up for events, etc...
But NIL
Eventually players will be employees and teams just have an association with a team

Every Oklahoma Football player on scholarship will receive $50,000 in NIL money a year. Plans are to start enrolling players for payment the day after the Spring Game with everyone onboarded by the fall.
What about Walk-ons?

Every Oklahoma Football player on scholarship will receive $50,000 in NIL money a year. Plans are to start enrolling players for payment the day after the Spring Game with everyone onboarded by the fall.

They will have the opportunity to make that much.

It's not like they'll get off the bus and be handed 50 bands. Most of them will never see a dime because of how it's written. But I guess the headline generates clicks...

It’s certainly going to be an interesting journey. I wonder if these guys will be considered self employed or employees of the contributing business/individual/NIL committee or whatever they’ll be called. IRS could make life miserable for these guys if they’re not on top of all the “in’s and out’s!

If it were up to a vote I'd vote to make them self employed so they can learn the joys of sending the IRS checks.

That's 4.25 million per year at most. Given Spyre is bringing in like 20 million a year that should be feasible.

Will that even FIT in a McDonald's bag???
$100 bills easily. $1 bills no chance.

Walk-ons is the way to go. Until 5*s are walking on they are doing it wrong.

Somewhere I read that there’s still no “pay to play”. That’s silly. They are being paid for their likeness wearing Orange. I’ve not read a contract, but to take the money and run seems like that’s a possibility.

A former SEC player said he was paid to take an official visit just to generate interest from others knowing that he wasn’t going to go there. $60k not a bad deal.Apparently, pitchers make good money too.

I don’t have a problem at all with college athletes getting rich in college.

These guys will be fine. I expect Spyre will keep an eye on these guys. I’d like to think they will be able to bank a bunch of it. They have an all included scholarship. They don’t have to spend it all at once. I expect they have honest people giving them good money management advice. This fall we will find out. I like our chances.

I can't imagine anyone with two brain cells, not understanding where the NIL genie was heading from the outset. Regular paychecks for the whole team, HUGE bonus money for the top tier "Stars". REALLY...?? You didn't think that's how this was going to go..?? Like it or not...this is where we are. One of the most disappointing things I keep seeing from folks who like the idea of turning athletes into salaried performers is the contention that NIL money is good because otherwise "athletes receive nothing". Only 1.2% of college players make it to the NFL. Average NFL career is 3.3 years ( according to the league). A very small percentage of those who make the pro's have an NFL playing career that provides enough money that they never have to worry about earning a living when their NFL career is over. IMHO...the free college education players receive, including the multitude of fringe benefits that go with that "Full-ride scholarship" have a significant value to a young man and should be recognized in this conversation. It's not "nothing".

The trick will be in maintaining an arms length between the NIL companies and the Athletic Departments to avoid Title IX implications. I would fear a courts view of blanket deals based solely on earning a scholly rather than an individual agreement based on each kids value which will not be the same. I would THINK that each will have to get an individual agreement in place. Some interesting questions ahead are does this income impact other financial aid programs like HOPE and Pell.... especially if you get the money after filling out all those forms earlier. I don't have a clue and compound that with Federal and State income tax with their variability and it could make your head hurt. Huge learning curve ahead.

Will courts try and force such blanket agreements to pay the money to the schools for distribution through schollys and existing programs?Lots of lawyers behind the scenes I bet.

It’s certainly going to be an interesting journey. I wonder if these guys will be considered self employed or employees of the contributing business/individual/NIL committee or whatever they’ll be called. IRS could make life miserable for these guys if they’re not on top of all the “in’s and out’s!
They wi be 1099 contractors to the agency paying them.

Reactions: tennrich1
I can't imagine anyone with two brain cells, not understanding where the NIL genie was heading from the outset. Regular paychecks for the whole team, HUGE bonus money for the top tier "Stars". REALLY...?? You didn't think that's how this was going to go..?? Like it or not...this is where we are. One of the most disappointing things I keep seeing from folks who like the idea of turning athletes into salaried performers is the contention that NIL money is good because otherwise "athletes receive nothing". Only 1.2% of college players make it to the NFL. Average NFL career is 3.3 years ( according to the league). A very small percentage of those who make the pro's have an NFL playing career that provides enough money that they never have to worry about earning a living when their NFL career is over. IMHO...the free college education players receive, including the multitude of fringe benefits that go with that "Full-ride scholarship" have a significant value to a young man and should be recognized in this conversation. It's not "nothing".

Turning athletes into salaried performers

Really? You didnt realize athletes have been getting paid for....ever?

Im disappointed people insist their favorite entertainers should not be faitly compensated and that a the Billions of dollars should go to old dudes in offices and pencil pushers. That is a pretty crappy thing to desire for someone.

Reactions: irish1485
This is always where this was headed and it’s going to destroy the sport, and the young adults in it.
The NCAA brought it on themselves by clinging to the "amareurism" nonsense while cashing billions of dollars in checks. The kids are the product.

VN Store

Back