Ever Play in a Tennessee HS Bowl Game

I started at QB in the 1977 Tobacco Bowl vs. Humbolt. Started 22 games at QB over 3 years. Fumbled only once in 22 games, and that was on the goal line at that game. Can't recall name right now, but he started at DB 2-3 years for the Vols. Ran a boot-leg keeper and he hit me square in the sternum and knocked every ounce of breath out of me; I literally dropped the ball at the one foot line.

Also, I was an assistant coach on a team that went 9-1 (10-1 counting the bowl win) and played in the 1982 Lion's Bowl in Tullahoma. 8 teams in our district and only the champ went. Lincoln County beat us first game of season 10-7 in Fayetville. They won the state championship that year, I think they upset Gallatin in a close game.
Where was that Tobacco Bowl? At one time the TB was in Greeneville, but i thought it was gone before I started following football in '66 or so.

Edit: Looks like there was a Middle TN Tobacco Bowl at Hartsville ... guess that's where yours must have been. Pardon my ignorance.

Last edited:
Some people here probably don't know before the playoffs were implemented a good HS team could possibly look forward to playing in a post season bowl game. A team had to have seven wins to qualify.

I played in the 1966 Crockett Bowl in Lawrenceburg.
Stratford High School
Volunteer Bowl vs. Mt. Juliet (I believe)
We never could get past Maplewood in region play.

Played in 1972 Tullahoma Lions Bowl vs Shelbyville. Won 10-8.

Only 4 teams went to the playoffs in each class (3classes) in the entire state back then. You had a pretty good team if you made a bowl game.

I did in 1972. East Ridge HS vs White County in Sparta. Game ended in a tie 7-7. I can’t remember what they called the game. East Ridge was 7-3 which wasn’t good enough for the playoffs back then. Not sure what White County’s record was.

If you played for ER, we played against each other. I played at Hixson.

Yes! I remember that. Poured like an hour before and they couldn’t change to Saturday

Does this look familiar? Actual pic of ole Wmcovol running in that game. It was about ankle deep water at mid field.

Attachments

• 4B4D8B7F-5EA9-4036-A6EB-2C1B7CD9EC2C.jpeg
    4B4D8B7F-5EA9-4036-A6EB-2C1B7CD9EC2C.jpeg
    638.1 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: Orange.
I know our team (Hendersonville) played in a bowl game in 1993 or 1994 against Father Ryan. I was just a sophomore, but remember we didn't make the playoffs but played this game. I think it was called the Bellevue Bowl or something like that.

I did in 1972. East Ridge HS vs White County in Sparta. Game ended in a tie 7-7. I can’t remember what they called the game. East Ridge was 7-3 which wasn’t good enough for the playoffs back then. Not sure what White County’s record was.
David Culley the newly hired head coach for the Houston Texans was the QB for White county team in 1972.

David Culley the newly hired head coach for the Houston Texans was the QB for White county team in 1972.
Yes he was. He scored on an 80 yard run the first or second play of the game. Then we shut them out. He was very elusive.
I actually made him fumble. I played DE. He took a snap and did a reverse spin out. I crashed down the line and hit him just as he finished the spin. And he fumbled.

I started at QB in the 1977 Tobacco Bowl vs. Humbolt. Started 22 games at QB over 3 years. Fumbled only once in 22 games, and that was on the goal line at that game. Can't recall name right now, but he started at DB 2-3 years for the Vols. Ran a boot-leg keeper and he hit me square in the sternum and knocked every ounce of breath out of me; I literally dropped the ball at the one foot line.

Also, I was an assistant coach on a team that went 9-1 (10-1 counting the bowl win) and played in the 1982 Lion's Bowl in Tullahoma. 8 teams in our district and only the champ went. Lincoln County beat us first game of season 10-7 in Fayetville. They won the state championship that year, I think they upset Gallatin in a close game.
I was on the staff at Humboldt at that game....Hell of a football game. Cold too.

A lot of folks don't know how big bowls were back in the day. A lot of 8-2 and 9-1 teams played each other. Most missed the playoffs by 1 game and went to a bowl.

VN Store

Back