Ever Play in a Tennessee HS Bowl Game

orangebloodgmc

I started at QB in the 1977 Tobacco Bowl vs. Humbolt. Started 22 games at QB over 3 years. Fumbled only once in 22 games, and that was on the goal line at that game. Can't recall name right now, but he started at DB 2-3 years for the Vols. Ran a boot-leg keeper and he hit me square in the sternum and knocked every ounce of breath out of me; I literally dropped the ball at the one foot line.

Also, I was an assistant coach on a team that went 9-1 (10-1 counting the bowl win) and played in the 1982 Lion's Bowl in Tullahoma. 8 teams in our district and only the champ went. Lincoln County beat us first game of season 10-7 in Fayetville. They won the state championship that year, I think they upset Gallatin in a close game.
Where was that Tobacco Bowl? At one time the TB was in Greeneville, but i thought it was gone before I started following football in '66 or so.

Edit: Looks like there was a Middle TN Tobacco Bowl at Hartsville ... guess that's where yours must have been. Pardon my ignorance.

Last edited:

luthervol

rational (x) and reasonable (y)
Some people here probably don't know before the playoffs were implemented a good HS team could possibly look forward to playing in a post season bowl game. A team had to have seven wins to qualify.

I played in the 1966 Crockett Bowl in Lawrenceburg.
Stratford High School
Volunteer Bowl vs. Mt. Juliet (I believe)
We never could get past Maplewood in region play.

wmcovol

Played in 1972 Tullahoma Lions Bowl vs Shelbyville. Won 10-8.

Only 4 teams went to the playoffs in each class (3classes) in the entire state back then. You had a pretty good team if you made a bowl game.

wmcovol

I did in 1972. East Ridge HS vs White County in Sparta. Game ended in a tie 7-7. I can’t remember what they called the game. East Ridge was 7-3 which wasn’t good enough for the playoffs back then. Not sure what White County’s record was.
If you played for ER, we played against each other. I played at Hixson.

VN Store

Sponsors