Ever Play in a Tennessee HS Bowl Game

Hunerwadel

Will Trade Racists for Refugees
Some people here probably don't know before the playoffs were implemented a good HS team could possibly look forward to playing in a post season bowl game. A team had to have seven wins to qualify.

I played in the 1966 Crockett Bowl in Lawrenceburg.

Last edited:
Some people here probably don't know before the playoffs were implemented a good HS team could possibly look forward to playing in a post season bowl game.

Never played in one, I have heard of them. Had forgotten all about them, cool reminder...

Some people here probably don't know before the playoffs were implemented a good HS team could possibly look forward to playing in a post season bowl game.

1970 Jaycees Bowl in Clinton.
They kicked our azz at will.
They had some guy by the name of Larry Seivers. Y'all might have heard of him

Back before the TSSAA realized more teams meant more money, only the top 2 teams from each conference made the playoffs (and there were only 3 classes, with less conferences...). In 1991, my Tennessee High Vikings finished 3rd in the Big 10, so played in the Endowment Bowl in the ETSU dome, against the 3rd place team from the next conference, Cocke County. Vikings won by 7 if memory serves.

Last edited:
In 1970 Holston was 10-0 but didn’t make the playoffs. They were invited to the optimist bowl but turned it down.

Reactions: ArdentVol
I did in 1972. East Ridge HS vs White County in Sparta. Game ended in a tie 7-7. I can’t remember what they called the game. East Ridge was 7-3 which wasn’t good enough for the playoffs back then. Not sure what White County’s record was.

Evidently I played in the 1978 Clinton Jaycee bowl with 931John, I also played in the 1976 Metro Bowl in Nashville against Madison High. Won both. Back then HS bowls were big because the only team to go to the playoffs were the district winners. Gallitan was in ours, they went to state finals a lot back then. Some “Big Time” bowls we’re the tobacco bowl, I think in Hartsville and the nurseryman’s bowl in McMinnville

This is definitely a tradition that should be brought back. Maybe decrease the number of teams making the playoffs and increase the regular season by a game or two.

Reactions: volsknx
I played with Chattanooga Central in the Meninac Bowl in Jacksonville, FL (the game was played in the Gator Bowl) following our '65 state championship season. We clobbered a local Jacksonsville team.

Reactions: RollerVol
Some people here probably don't know before the playoffs were implemented a good HS team could possibly look forward to playing in a post season bowl game. A team had to have seven wins to qualify.

I started at QB in the 1977 Tobacco Bowl vs. Humbolt. Started 22 games at QB over 3 years. Fumbled only once in 22 games, and that was on the goal line at that game. Can't recall name right now, but he started at DB 2-3 years for the Vols. Ran a boot-leg keeper and he hit me square in the sternum and knocked every ounce of breath out of me; I literally dropped the ball at the one foot line.

Also, I was an assistant coach on a team that went 9-1 (10-1 counting the bowl win) and played in the 1982 Lion's Bowl in Tullahoma. 8 teams in our district and only the champ went. Lincoln County beat us first game of season 10-7 in Fayetville. They won the state championship that year, I think they upset Gallatin in a close game.

Last edited:
1983. Played Waverly, (I think). We were 9-1. Nine-and-freaking-one and didn't go to the playoffs. Today, it seems like every team gets to go.
Its like youth football, everyone, no matter how sh___ty you play everyone gets a participation trophy...

Last edited:
Reactions: John Wick
I believe Copper Basin hosted a bowl game in the mid 90's. Its was called the Ocoee Whitewater Bowl, it was a one year thing that was not very successful from what I have heard from players.

I played for East Ridge in the early 1960's in the Strawberry Bowl. I know we won but don't remember who we played. I think the game was in Dayton Tennessee. Long time ago.

VN Store

Back