ESPN Reporting - Tennessee vs. WVU -- 2018 Opener

Here's one of the comments from the Yahoo article.

"Good lord, the characters in the seats for that game will be scary. On One side you got Vol fans. Butt-chugging alcohol is a pre/post game ritual, domestic violence runs rampant in Tennessee, and "adult" fans berate 17 year old kids on Sheepy social media because they decide to go to a good program. On the other side you have Mountaineer fans. Burning couches is a pre/post game ritual, coal Poors are everywhere, and the first family of the state isn't the Tomblin's but the White's from the stellar documentary The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia."

I know that this will help with recruiting but couldn't we have scheduled a better opponent? Like Clemson or somebody worth a damn. We will kill WV.[/QUOTE

You may want to check WV's winning record over the past decade.

It is far better than ours.

They do not have as many NC's as us or a decade of dominance like we had in the 90's but they are no push over---just ask Oklahoma.

Lol, WRONG. Not only are you incorrect, but they also played in the Big East where wins are essentially meaningless.

2003-2013

77 wins for the Vols while playing in the toughest conference in history

82 wins for WVU coming against a Big East that had 4 new C-USA members

If you were referring to 2000-2010 as the decade it's:

90 wins for the Vols; again in the SEC

90 wins for WVU; only a few years of this timeframe contained the Big East with VT, Miami, and BC.

What does this mean? Basically their Golden Era is equal to one of the worst stints in Tennessee football history. We will whip dey azz.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I feel like I'm in the huge minority that doesn't agree with these neutral site games. I much rather have a home and home series especially with WVU. Either way, GBO!

WVU bout to get pounder up the ole stinker! Unless if they chicken out and cancel

Looks like we'll be opening against WVU in Charlotte. Big fan of these neutral site games, especially in places where we recruit heavily.

Brett McMurphy @McMurphyESPN
Tennessee, West Virginia will open 2018 season in Charlotte, source tells @espn

Great to hear about adding another good out of conference game. I remember having those thoughts when we scheduled Oregon and Oklahoma. Best part is that we'll be much more competitive in the future.

Looks like we'll be opening against WVU in Charlotte. Big fan of these neutral site games, especially in places where we recruit heavily.

Brett McMurphy @McMurphyESPN
Tennessee, West Virginia will open 2018 season in Charlotte, source tells @espn

We should be preseason top 5 by the time that game comes around. :loco:

VN Store

Back