ESPN rates each TN game by chance to win:

Here's what I think. Tex A&M game decides if we are 5-5 or 6-4.

USC 55% (momentum from last year)
Mizz 70% (beat Mizz last year at Mizz)
GA 30% (I think we scare the bulldogs but lose)
Ky 65% (why is KY always suppose to be good going into the season? )
ALA 15% ( Butch smokes another cigar)
ARK 75% (should be comfortable game)
Tex AM 50% (close game)
AUB 40% (Bo is a little better than our QB's)
Van 85% (Eric Gray has more fun)
FL 30% (no comment)

Last edited:
USC - 46.8%
Missouri - 66.2
Georgia - 9.7
KY - 48.1
ALA - 7.0
Ark - 61.1
Tex A&M - 31.2
AUB - 12.1
Vandy - 80.6
FL - 20.0

ESPN FPI predicts Tennessee's 2020 schedule

Given the current state of affairs with COVID, putting win pct. on anyone's season right now is absurd. Teams will change week to week. Vanderbilt might beat Georgia if they're completely healthy and Georgia is hit with a rash of positive tests (or contacts). No one knows. This season could be crazy.

This is great news, ESPN is usually wrong about everything. They are really bad at what they do, really bad.
the FPI has been right about the vols recently.

. Before you scoff at the FPI, consider it's preseason accuracy with the Vols the past two seasons. In 2018, it gave Tennessee a better than 50% chance of winning five games and the Vols went 5-7 with only the Auburn win and Vanderbilt going against the grain. FPI's preseason projected win total for Tennessee in 2019 was 7.6 and the Vols, who were given better than a 50% chance of winning in nine games, won seven in the regular season despite losing their first two games as big favorites.

Reactions: 08Vol
Here's what I think. Tex A&M game decides if we are 5-5 or 6-4.

USC 55% (momentum from last year)
Mizz 70% (beat Mizz last year at Mizz)
GA 30% (I think we scare the bulldogs but lose)
Ky 65% (why is KY always suppose to be good going into the season? )
ALA 15% ( Butch smokes another cigar)
ARK 75% (should be comfortable game)
Tex AM 50% (close game)
AUB 40% (Bo is a little better than our QB's)
Van 85% (Eric Gray has more fun)
FL 30% (no comment)

This really should be last year of these odds, next year is Pruitt's full roster of his kids. Hes recruited and developed. If this staff truly is what we are hoping for then bama, uf, uga, etc will all be 50/50 games with us winning our share...next year will have given us enough time to rebuild and have no more excuses for not reaching expectations

Reactions: MikeTheVol
Curious as to why ESPN favors SC in this game. I know last year is last year, but UT absolutely destroyed SCAR in 2019. UT’s defense did not allow a single point in the second half. Where are the significant upgrades to SCAR’s roster giving them the edge? They have home field, but crowd noise will not be a factor at all.

Reactions: Neyland Law Vol
This is a computer rating. Before criticizing it, it’s better to understand what’s driving it and the limitations.

I believe predicting games with any accuracy is going to be near impossible this yr. Every week a teams player condition will be different should a covid case show up and contact tracing applies. No one knows what team will be put on the field from week to week. Going to be crazy.

This is a computer rating. Before criticizing it, it’s better to understand what’s driving it and the limitations.

What are your thoughts on TN's win total? What do you think are reasonable expectations with this schedule and this roster?

Ill take the over on 3 wins for any amount of money this writer wants to wager.

That's not exactly what those ESPN gomers are saying.

The FPI (a computer program, not a human...though designed by humans) actually projects we will win somewhere between 4 and 6 games (technically, between 3.8 and 6.2).

How can it do that if it has us the underdog in all but 3? Math.

Take an imaginary team. Call them the Vandybuilt Toiletdoors. Say they have a 49% chance of winning 9 of their 10 games, and a 0% chance of winning the last game, against the Tennessee Volunteers. So you'd say they're picked to lose all 10 games and will go 0-10, right? Nope.

Because those first nine games are almost 50/50 splits (slightly below, but only slightly), in reality the FPI would be saying that the Toileteers will split the 9. So they'd give them a 4.5 win projection for the season. Then they hedge even that, and predict something between 3 and 6 wins.

And that's how it goes for our "projected season" in FPI, too. We have some games that the FPI thinks are basically a toss-up, like vs USCe (46.8% is pretty close to 50/50) and Kentucky (48.1%). So if we split those, both technically having "picked us to lose", we're no longer 3-7 but 4-6.

And on it goes, with "partial win" projections for every other game that at first you'd say they have us losing.

The math used by these prognosticators (prob & stats) doesn't deal in certainties. It deals in probabilities. To read anything they say as a "certain prediction" is to misread it.

Nonetheless, they're a bunch of gomers and they're wrong. We're winning 7 this year.

Go Vols!

Tennessee 2020 FPI - Volunteers - ESPN

EDIT and p.s. Thinking through why the FPI might project us as underdogs against teams we beat last year and against whom we have a significant talent advantage. I mean, USCe and Kentucky in particular. But also why they have us such significant underdogs against a team we beat just a couple of years ago (Auburn) when we had a brand new coach who now has 3 years experience, and a long track record beating Auburn's coach. Those three projections in particular didn't make sense to me, so I got to wondering why.

The FPI is just a program. It's only as good as (a) its algorithms and (b) the data fed to it for the upcoming season. The algorithms aren't bad, we already know that. FPI has done about as well as Vegas over the past few years projecting winners. So the algorithm, which ESPN's statisticians are constantly fine-tuning, is probably okay. That means the data must be bad.

So what bad data could the statisticians be throwing into the program about Tennessee? I think it's this: I think they're believing every word Jeremy Pruitt says.

All through July and August, and now into September, Jeremy has been pretty open about our challenges. He's not quite Lou Holtzing it (remember how Holtz always bad-mouthed his own team and talked up the opponent to be god-like?), Jeremy's not doing that, but he is spending significant time talking about the negatives. The DLine that just won't meet expectations. The QBs who need to become more consistent. The covid contact tracing that's keeping everyone out of practice. And on and on.

I think ESPN are believing him. I mean, I think they're inserting some "confidence factor" kind of adjustment in favor of Tennessee's opponents because of what they're hearing CJP tell the world.

But CJP just talks that way. He tells it as he sees it, sure, but he tends to harp on what needs to be improved rather than what's going well. Saban does the same thing. But the ESPN goombas have gotten used to Saban, and tune it out. They're not yet tuning it out for Pruitt.

That's my orange-colored theory, anyway. I think they're underestimating the Vols, because they're taking our coach too completely at face value.

We'll see starting this weekend.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
The known big issue with FPI is that it heavily values returning offensive production. Combine that with the fact that we had a really poor offense last year (76th) and the algorithm thinks we will be a lame duck on offense. If we were bringing back JJ and Calloway we would be favored in most of the games. All we need is to have solid wr play and improve the run game and the algorithm is completely inaccurate. It could absolutely be true that we are going to suck on offense again this year but any time you have a heavy weight in an algorithm it only takes a decent over-performance to completely tip the scales.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Covid is the big wild card in for this season. Will key players be out any games. LSU has the right idea getting all their players exposed early on. Vols fans may not like the odds but they are pretty accurate imo. 5-5 will not be a bad record this year. I hope for 6-4.

Reactions: Neyland Law Vol
tenor.png

VN Store

Back