ESPN picks

After all that has happened to them, they're still standing...Hell of a team!
AcademicFinishedKookaburra-size_restricted.gif

If I was to place an even bet, I would have to put my money on Louisville since Horston won’t be available. I do think it will be a fairly close game though.
We can win if we play a tight defense and frustrate them, control the boards. We can’t afford to make a lot of turnovers. Need to take good shots and need to make them. Hopefully they won’t get hot shooting the 3 ball.

TN is a very good rebounding team as is Louisville correct ? The Zags out rebounded Louisville last game 40-31 but turned the ball over 18 time.

Not sure what point you're making. Louisville won the game pretty comfortably, and Tennessee didn't exactly dominate Belmont on the boards...

From the outside looking in I’m not seeing any of that. Tennessee is definitely the team in that game that should be coming in with a chip on their shoulder.

That’s just lockeroom talk from Walz trying to keep them motivated because he knows they aren’t actually good enough to be a 1 seed.

Everyone wants to be the victim. What a bunch of hooey. Jeff picked the wrong opponent to try to run that crap on. If ever there was a dismissed, put-upon underdog, it's the LVs.

But you know what, this is the last time for the foreseeable future our team is going to be the held together with duct tape and a kiss team. What a difference a few valuable portal snags makes.

From the outside looking in I’m not seeing any of that. Tennessee is definitely the team in that game that should be coming in with a chip on their shoulder.

That’s just lockeroom talk from Walz trying to keep them motivated because he knows they aren’t actually good enough to be a 1 seed.

Totally. Every bracket I’ve seen has them at least in the E8. If anything, Baylor getting eliminated eases their path to a FF should they advance. Walz knows the pressure is on L’ville to advance.

They're not, hence the reason everyone is picking Louisville...

Louisville isn't coming off an improbable final minute come-from-behind victory against a 12 seed, at home, for starters.
With Horston in the lineup you would have a stronger case. Without her, it isn't close...

Not sure what point you're making. Louisville won the game pretty comfortably, and Tennessee didn't exactly dominate Belmont on the boards...

Not that I want to argue with you about who will win the game, but you do understand, do you not, that none of your responses above actually refutes the comment made, which was that Louisville and the Lady Vols are a relatively evenly matched team, other than to express your opinion and to comment on unrelated games? An actual comparison of the relative strengths of each team would involve an analysis of statistics of the individual players over the course of the season. I haven't done that and, quite frankly don't know if I will take the time to do so before tomorrow's game. But, a cursory analysis of the season stats show Louisville with three players averaging double-figure scoring and the Lady Vols with four (one of whom is Jordan Horston), Louisville averaged 72.4 pts/g and the Lady Vols averaged 70.2 pts/g. As of today, the Lady Vols had an RPI of 10 and strength of schedule of 6. Louisville's was 6 and 38, respectively (according to RealTime RPI).

The loss of Jordan Horston obviously affects the prospects and play of the Lady Vols, but that same loss also realistically requires an analysis of the Lady Vols play over the last seven games to get a true feel for the Lady Vols play - for example, Alexus Dye has taken a significant jump in scoring - in comparison to Louisville.

Having said all of the above, I will say that I could see a narrow win by Louisville, a narrow win by the Lady Vols, or a blowout win by Louisville, if the turnover-prone Lady Vols show up.

Jim

Not that I want to argue with you about who will win the game, but you do understand, do you not, that none of your responses above actually refutes the comment made, which was that Louisville and the Lady Vols are a relatively evenly matched team, other than to express your opinion and to comment on unrelated games? An actual comparison of the relative strengths of each team would involve an analysis of statistics of the individual players over the course of the season. I haven't done that and, quite frankly don't know if I will take the time to do so before tomorrow's game. But, a cursory analysis of the season stats show Louisville with three players averaging double-figure scoring and the Lady Vols with four (one of whom is Jordan Horston), Louisville averaged 72.4 pts/g and the Lady Vols averaged 70.2 pts/g. As of today, the Lady Vols had an RPI of 10 and strength of schedule of 6. Louisville's was 6 and 38, respectively (according to RealTime RPI).

The loss of Jordan Horston obviously affects the prospects and play of the Lady Vols, but that same loss also realistically requires an analysis of the Lady Vols play over the last seven games to get a true feel for the Lady Vols play - for example, Alexus Dye has taken a significant jump in scoring - in comparison to Louisville.

Having said all of the above, I will say that I could see a narrow win by Louisville, a narrow win by the Lady Vols, or a blowout win by Louisville, if the turnover-prone Lady Vols show up.

Jim

Instead of parsing through box scores, stats, RPI, SOS, etc., sometimes it's easier just to use the old "eye test." In looking at Tennessee, I see a team that sputtered down the stretch, losing 7 of their last 14 games, and probably should have lost at home to 12 seeded Belmont.

It's not so much that Louisville looks like some unbeatable juggernaut, as much as the evidence shows Tennessee just isn't a great team right now...

VN Store

Back