ESPN - Lanning new HC at Oregon

Falcons02

Just came across ticker of the UT basketball game

Edit: Dan Lanning, UGA DC

Last edited:
Just saw that Nick Saban’s 2015 coaching staff now has 6 active head coaches in D1…

Kelly must have said "no". I guess Phil Knight doesn't care for Kiffin. Not sure Lanning is better than Wilcox. I guess Ducks tired of Utah punching them in the mouth.

Actually an interesting tidbit, Georgia and Oregon will be playing the Kickoff game next season.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I get Lanning staying for the CFP but it's a big recruiting period and Oregon could really use him in Eugene.

I just have a feeling that Nike money is done trying to drag Oregon into being relevant. The Lanning hire and his not really starting until the new year just strikes me as "get it over with" rather than we're a top 10 program.

Reactions: memtownvol
I get Lanning staying for the CFP but it's a big recruiting period and Oregon could really use him in Eugene.

I just have a feeling that Nike money is done trying to drag Oregon into being relevant. The Lanning hire and his not really starting until the new year just strikes me as "get it over with" rather than we're a top 10 program.

No, that’s Kirby trying to win Sabans way but he’s not Saban and he never will be.

No, that’s Kirby trying to win Sabans way but he’s not Saban and he never will be.
Yeah, there's that. I assume Kirby had a hand in keeping him though I understand loyalty too.

The announcement timing seems weird. Maybe it leaked and this was all they could do but it's a terrible look if I'm a recruit because Lanning is a first time head coach with no big national name and he doesn't seem like "I'm so anxious for this opportunity." Just a weird look.

Reactions: LoudOrange
Stupid for him to stay and help Georgia. Just like it was idiotic for Pruitt to stay and help Bama.
Why. If I was in their shoes I'd feel I would owe it to those young men to finish it out with a championship on the line. Not like they stayed for the music city bowl. Plus they still recruit and start getting things organized. It's not like they ignore it for a month

Why. If I was in their shoes I'd feel I would owe it to those young men to finish it out with a championship on the line. Not like they stayed for the music city bowl

He owes it to the new team, new players and potential new recruits. If he wanted to stay with them he shouldn't have taken the job at Oregon.

Why. If I was in their shoes I'd feel I would owe it to those young men to finish it out with a championship on the line. Not like they stayed for the music city bowl. Plus they still recruit and start getting things organized. It's not like they ignore it for a month
Somewhere in the Bible it says: No man can serve two masters.

Lanning can't be a full-time DC for GA and a full-time HC for Oregon at the same time. Both jobs are pretty intense, I'm sure. Particularly during recruiting season, which is in full swing, a first time incoming head coach from across the country probably needs to assure recruits who he is, what he's got in mind, etc.

On the other hand, a DC preparing for Michigan and, likely, Alabama needs to be with his players daily.

No man can serve two masters.

Reactions: beachvol23
Yeah, now what’s Kirby Dumb going to do? What’s going to be his excuse in playoffs or next year? Oh I can’t wait!
Lanning should go and not coach at UGA, but since he is, he will be splitting time (even if he denies it) and players will be affected and emotional in some way! Look for UGA to get spanked by Michigan! Bet on it!!!

Reactions: Tnslim1

They are building a new indoor practice facility and adding on to current facilities. They got a guy who can recruit at a high level which is what was needed.

They are building a new indoor practice facility and adding on to current facilities. They got a guy who can recruit at a high level which is what was needed.
They got a guy who is hedging his bets in the best way. Lanning can recruit and he's a top defensive mind in college football.

If he washes out as a HC in the PAC 12, he'll be welcomed back as a DC in the SEC because he can recruit and run a defense.

If he's successful in the PAC 12, he'll be in the running for an SEC HC position.

C'mon, who stays in the PAC 12? Lanning wins even if he loses because he gains more west coast contacts for his next job AND he'll probably get paid nicely by Phil Knight.

Somewhere in the Bible it says: No man can serve two masters.

Lanning can't be a full-time DC for GA and a full-time HC for Oregon at the same time. Both jobs are pretty intense, I'm sure. Particularly during recruiting season, which is in full swing, a first time incoming head coach from across the country probably needs to assure recruits who he is, what he's got in mind, etc.

On the other hand, a DC preparing for Michigan and, likely, Alabama needs to be with his players daily.

No man can serve two masters.

I'm sorry but I can't figure out how you can compare worshiping Jesus Christ and football. Hope he doesn't consider either school his master nor his God. A better example is giving your employer 2 weeks notice before leaving for another job

I'm sorry but I can't figure out how you can compare worshiping Jesus Christ and football. Hope he doesn't consider either school his master nor his God. A better example is giving your employer 2 weeks notice before leaving for another job
Yowza. Some religious books have good ideas apart from the religion. One is the Bible. Jeez.... I didn't mean it literally.

He can't do two full-time jobs at once.

Jeez.......

Reactions: beachvol23

VN Store

Back