ESPN: 100 best running backs of the past 60 years

That's almost as bad as the Cam Newton laptop scandal.
I've always found it hilarious when obvious questions are not asked/looked into when we find out a guy was involved in recruiting violations/impermissible benefits.

We know for a fact that Cam's dad solicited money from Miss St boosters. Well, Cam never played for Miss St. He played for UF and Auburn. Unless you think Cam's dad wanted money from Miss St but was OK with him playing for UF and Auburn for free, that raises obvious questions about UF and Auburn's recruiting of him, but it is like nobody in the media asked them. Same deal with UGA's recruiting of Amarius Mims.

CFB will always be my favorite sport but the game was better back then than it is now.

Yeah it seems like the games were bigger back when every game wasn’t on television.

Students showed up on time, the stadium was packed and you could count on visiting teams selling out their allotment of 8-10K tickets.

I don’t love CFB any less now than I did back then, but it’s just different now.

I've always found it hilarious when obvious questions are not asked/looked into when we find out a guy was involved in recruiting violations/impermissible benefits.

We know for a fact that Cam's dad solicited money from Miss St boosters. Well, Cam never played for Miss St. He played for UF and Auburn. Unless you think Cam's dad wanted money from Miss St but was OK with him playing for UF and Auburn for free, that raises obvious questions about UF and Auburn's recruiting of him, but it is like nobody in the media asked them. Same deal with UGA's recruiting of Amarius Mims.
No paper trail, right? Newton and or his dad certainly took money probably from multiple schools and signed with the highest bidder. The funny thing is some of these program’s hand over cash and the player does not end up signing with that school. The AD for these schools has no legal leg to stand on. Chump change in the grand scheme of things, I guess.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
No paper trail, right? Newton and or his dad certainly took money probably from multiple schools and signed with the highest bidder. The funny thing is some of these program’s hand over cash and the player does not end up signing with that school. The AD for these schools has no legal leg to stand on. Chump change in the grand scheme of things, I guess.
You're probably right, no paper trail in all likelihood, but it was funny to me that nobody (outside of chumps on message boards like us) seemed interested in even asking the question.

There is almost no doubt Cam took money to sign with Auburn, and if he did he was almost certainly personally involved with it. Remember, the story went that Cam's dad wanted him to go to Miss St but Cam wanted to go to Auburn. It all seemed so convenient - it was an established fact that bids were solicited, but no evidence was found that Cam was personally aware of it, and we only found out for a fact that they were solicited from a low level SEC school, not the 2 bigger name SEC schools that he actually signed with.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
Yeah it seems like the games were bigger back when every game wasn’t on television.

Students showed up on time, the stadium was packed and you could count on visiting teams selling out their allotment of 8-10K tickets.

I don’t love CFB any less now than I did back then, but it’s just different now.

I was referring primarily to how news is reported on twitter and social media instantly. It has created a monster.

You're probably right, no paper trail in all likelihood, but it was funny to me that nobody (outside of chumps on message boards like us) seemed interested in even asking the question.

There is almost no doubt Cam took money to sign with Auburn, and if he did he was almost certainly personally involved with it. Remember, the story went that Cam's dad wanted him to go to Miss St but Cam wanted to go to Auburn. It all seemed so convenient - it was an established fact that bids were solicited, but no evidence was found that Cam was personally aware of it, and we only found out for a fact that they were solicited from a low level SEC school, not the 2 bigger name SEC schools that he actually signed with.

I miss the days when UT paid for great players and we were actually good. Pruitt bought players and the best he could do was 8-5.

Reactions: 05_never_again

They've made the experience of staying at home too good and too convenient. "These kids and their smartphones" or "tickets are so expensive" are easy go-tos but being able to watch every single game in HD on a relatively cheap 65-inch HDTV has had the biggest impact on attendance, IMO. If you go on YouTube and watch the telecasts of games from the 90s, even big nationally-televised ones, it is amazing we used to watch TV at that level of picture and production quality and thought nothing of it. Not only was the picture quality bad compared to today, but the camera angles, even in the 1990s, were really limited to what they have today. I bet they have more cameras at last year's Tennessee vs. Tennessee Tech game than they did at the 1990 national championship game.

Have tickets, especially for good seats, really ever been cheap? Adjusting for inflation, of course.

Last edited:
They've made the experience of staying at home too good and too convenient. "These kids and their smartphones" or "tickets are so expensive" are easy go-tos but being able to watch every single game in HD on a relatively cheap 65-inch HDTV has had the biggest impact on attendance, IMO. If you go on YouTube and watch the telecasts of games from the 90s, even big nationally-televised ones, it is amazing we used to watch TV at that level of picture and production quality and thought nothing of it. Not only was the picture quality bad compared to today, but the camera angles, even in the 1990s, were really limited to what they have today. I bet they have more cameras at last year's Tennessee vs. Tennessee Tech game than they did at the 1990 national championship game.

Have tickets, especially for good seats, really ever been cheap? Adjusting for inflation, of course.

Beers are 13 bucks too. Thank da lort for airplane bottles.

Beers are 13 bucks too. Thank da lort for airplane bottles.
There's always been a big difference in price between the beer they sell at stadiums and the beer you've already got in your fridge. I remember going to games as a kid and always wondering "Why is the food so expensive in stadiums?"

Every single game being carried on live TV in high definition, and the affordability of very large TVs, I think is about 90% of the reason for flagging attendance. It wasn't even until the SEC Network came along, relatively recent history, that the PPV games went away.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
Derrick Henry at #32? Adrian Peterson at #46? Guys like McCaffery, Bush and Benson ahead of them? List is invalid.

Good golly, let it go. The last time Auburn was facing the abyss, the SEC made us fire our BB coach to distract. I'd hate to lose Barnes that way.........

:cool::cool::cool:;););)

Top 10 running backs in UT history?????:cool:

GO!

I'll have to think about that for a while.....

Ron Dayne at #11 is a joke. He was a lumbering fullback who played in the Slow 10 so he got stats there he wouldn't have gotten in the SEC. All the Wisconsin backs are overrated here.

Reactions: BUBear
I never got to see Tony Dorsett play in college but back in '73 I was a little cumb snatcher and listened to the Baylor at Pitt game on the radio (Tony's freshman year). Tony opened the season by running for over 100 yards against UGA. The following weekend Baylor went to Pitt, won the game and kept TD below 100 yards. Baylor was the only defensive that kept him below 100 yards in a game during his college career.

No love for Little Joe Washington. 6.1 ypc in his college career.SMH 🤔

Last edited:
Herschel at #3 is lunacy.
I don't care if he won the Heisman twice. Archie Griffin was not a better college RB than Herschel Walker.

... and Travis Henry should be on that list somewhere ... admittedly near the bottom, but good lord, he had a better career than DeAngelo Williams of Memphis who they have at #62! Travis Henry carried an offense to the National Championship. I would have him in the 80's.

VN Store

Back