ESPN: 100 best running backs of the past 60 years

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Archie Griffin at #2 is a joke. Walker is #1. He carried a team 6-5 the yr before and a QB named Buck Belue (who didn’t complete a pass in the Sugar Bowl) to a national championship AS A FRESHMAN. He’d won a couple more if Belue didn’t suck.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Darren Sproles at 22? I loved the way he played, but ahead of Adrian Peterson? No way.

Would any SEC football fan ever take Garrison Hearst over Jamal Lewis ? Come on
I think they are putting a huge premium on overall career production (i.e., number of yards), which is flawed logic when you're talking college sports. Sproles had almost 1,000 more career rushing yards (and played 1 more season) than AP, but anybody knows AP was the better back. AP had almost 2,000 yards rushing as a true freshman. Wow.

I think they are putting a huge premium on overall career production (i.e., number of yards), which is flawed logic when you're talking college sports. Sproles had almost 1,000 more career rushing yards (and played 1 more season) than AP, but anybody knows AP was the better back. AP had almost 2,000 yards rushing as a true freshman. Wow.
That 2000 yards # is insane.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
Barry Sanders had one great season. It was the greatest season ever, but ZERO reason he should be #1. Absolutely ignorant!
Walker is #1, and it ain’t close……

Reggie Bush was the most electric RB I ever witnessed in college. He should easily be in the top five. I recall Ricky Williams being a great back but #4 on the list?
Ricky was the truth. He played on one of worst TX teams & still racked them yards. Dude was a fast beast

Derrick Henry not being on this list seems strange. I know he only had 1 really huge year, but that 1 year was pretty legendary. And he is a Heisman winner.

Derrick Henry not being on this list seems strange. I know he only had 1 really huge year, but that 1 year was pretty legendary. And he is a Heisman winner.
They are doing a really simple analysis...if they have a large number of career rushing yards they make the list. Some of those guys with huge numbers of rushing yards really are the best backs of all time. Others are not. If there was a redshirt senior that rushed for 900 yards/year, he'd probably make their list.

Barry Sanders had one great season. It was the greatest season ever, but ZERO reason he should be #1. Absolutely ignorant!
Walker is #1, and it ain’t close……
Barry Sanders had one legendary season (the after a really good season on a VERY limited number of carries) because he was behind an older, more experienced fellow NFL Hall-of-Fame running back Thurman Thomas. Herschel was an all-time great. He's #2. Herschel was no Barry Sanders.

Look up the sick stats Barry put up in his final season in college football. Nothing has even come close to touching it, and just like Herschel at Georgia, every opponent knew that Barry was the only player they needed to stop.

Reactions: irish1485
Hey @Lawrence Wright should Fred Taylor be on this list?

I don’t think so, even though his combination of speed and power was rare. The numbers just aren’t there.

Fred split time with Elijah Williams and Terry Jackson for his entire career. And there were times when it felt like Spurrier forgot he was on the roster (1997 at LSU immediately comes to mind).

Fred was also his own worst enemy off the field.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I don’t think so, even though his combination of speed and power was rare. The numbers just aren’t there.

Fred split time with Elijah Williams and Terry Jackson for his entire career. And there were times when it felt like Spurrier forgot he was on the roster (1997 at LSU immediately comes to mind).

Fred was also his own worst enemy off the field.
What'd he do off the field? Don't remember anything about off-field trouble when he was playing, but I was pretty young.

What'd he do off the field? Don't remember anything about off-field trouble when he was playing, but I was pretty young.

He was getting paid by a street agent/bagman named Tank Black in the mid 90s, and he got busted attempting to sell back law textbooks to the bookstore, which is a no-no if you’re on scholarship…and not a law student.

Pretty sure he missed our ‘96 game at Neyland due to a suspension.

He was getting paid by a street agent/bagman named Tank Black in the mid 90s, and he got busted attempting to sell back law textbooks to the bookstore, which is a no-no if you’re on scholarship…and not a law student.

Pretty sure he missed our ‘96 game at Neyland due to a suspension.

That's almost as bad as the Cam Newton laptop scandal.

VN Store

Back