Eric Gray for Heisman?

He's gonna have to rush for around 2k yards and have over 20 total TDs to get serious consideration.

Highly unlikely he does that as a sophmore running back on a team without a top tier QB in the SEC. You're talking about having to rush for around 150-200 yards with 2-3 TDs vs each of Bama, UGA, and Florida.

Last edited:
Reactions: MemphisVol77
When I look at Gray, I see a kid who can make plays in space. He's got wiggle and speed. He's more a hybrid WR type. A "scatback" if you will. More of the type you'd see running the ball for Leach or one of the west coast programs like Oregon.

When I look at a kid like Clemson's Etienne, I see a running back. This is a guy you can hand the ball to when you need that tough yardage. He kind of reminds me of Emmitt Smith.

We have backs on the roster, but we don't yet have that sort of RB....a real stud at the position. We've had plenty of those type players in our history. Hoping we've found that with Hodges or maybe turn back to Crouch/Banks for a solution. Then again, the game has changed. It's more 5 wide and getting guys like Gray out in space. Showing my old age I guess.

We see different RBs then. Gray has the best vision on the team and doesn't skate around the backfield. He gets north and south very quickly (unlike Chandler). He needs a full off-season in the weight room, but there is no reason to think he is only a scatback.

Last edited:
We see different RBs then. Grey has the best vision on the team and doesn't skate around the backfield. He gets north and south very quickly (unlike Chandler). He needs a full off-season in the weight room, but there is no reason to think he is only a scatback.

I agree it's early, but to date, I've not seen him show different. Hope he proves me wrong and turns into the next Garner or Etienne.

Good year? Yes. Heisman type season? Probably not
Probably not. I do not see Eric Gray being an every down back, and he lacks the ability to break tackles, by SEC backers, in the open field.
He's dynamic, and exciting. A threat to go to the house, on every play. But, not a guy that can takeover a game.

VN Store

Back