Eric Gray for Heisman?

Hahaha.
Because average SEC rbs break 94 yard tds every season??
They would if they ran through gaping holes untouched vs inferior defensive players that comprised one of the worst run defenses in the country.

With the way that Eric Gray finished this season, and with our Trey Smith returning and the addition of Cade Mays, I don't see why we shouldn't consider Eric Gray as a dark horse candidate for the Heisman next year. Things are lining up for him to have a huge year next season!
Dumb

Reactions: KBVol
No, he’s average at this point. That 246 yard game included two runs where he didn’t get touched and ran free for 150 yards. The other 23 carries yielded 96 yards, 4.2 yards per carry. The 2 runs were great for the team but only proved that Eric could run untouched for a couple of long runs through gaping holes. Says more about our OL than our RB imho.

Look, it was great to see him put those numbers up that game, but it stood in stark contrast to the rest of his season where, with the exception of 4-5 fantastic “Barry Sanders-like” cuts on a dime, he pretty much just got knocked down and back much too easily. Hopefully an offseason getting bigger and much stronger really pays dividends for him and he looks like a stud SEC back in 2020.....until then though, he’s just a pretty average SEC running back.

So him having the speed and vision to do that is "average"?

With the way that Eric Gray finished this season, and with our Trey Smith returning and the addition of Cade Mays, I don't see why we shouldn't consider Eric Gray as a dark horse candidate for the Heisman next year. Things are lining up for him to have a huge year next season!

Long way to go for that

Gray had an impressive freshman year. He just needs to get bigger and stronger to increase his yards-after-contact stats.

We have seen 2000 yard rushers who couldn’t win the Heisman. Derrick Henry was the last RB to win it. Gray won’t come anywhere close to DH numbers.

Gray has the potential to be a really good back. To mention him as a dark horse for the Heisman is just silly. He would have to gain over 2000 yards to even make it to New York. If you wanted attention I guess you accomplished your goal.

He had 2-3 impressive games, one game in particular. Otherwise, he had really rough freshman year that wasn’t impressive at all.

Here are his 2019 stats:

Rush Attempts: 101
Rush Yards: 539
Yards/Attempt: 5.3
Touchdowns: 4

Receptions: 13
Yards: 115
Average: 8.8
Touchdowns: 1

Maybe I'm just easily impressed, but I believe that is pretty good for a freshman, especially considering he only got 28% of our rush attempts. Based on his yards/attempt, if he had gotten just 53% of our rush attempts he would have surpassed 1,000 yards for the season.

Cue the VN statisticians to tell me I'm wrong.

lord. y'all have delusions.

Reactions: KBVol
Ok you got me and I'll play. 2020 dark horse heisman......JG .....I believe with a great oline and 2 years with Chaney it will come together. And don't forget the added speed at WR. Get the hell out of here with this BS

CFA, Jordan and Chandler will get too many snaps for him to be a Heisman contender. We should also see Whitehead in short yardage/goal line situations.

Damn off season.

Here are his 2019 stats:

Rush Attempts: 101
Rush Yards: 539
Yards/Attempt: 5.3
Touchdowns: 4

Receptions: 13
Yards: 115
Average: 8.8
Touchdowns: 1

Maybe I'm just easily impressed, but I believe that is pretty good for a freshman, especially considering he only got 28% of our rush attempts. Based on his yards/attempt, if he had gotten just 53% of our rush attempts he would have surpassed 1,000 yards for the season.

Cue the VN statisticians to tell me I'm wrong.
-Over 75% of his yards came in 3 games.
-28% of his yards came on 2 RUNS
-409yards in 3 games (BYU, Vandy, Indy)...130 yards on 45 carries (2.9 ypc) in the other 10
-5 games in which he averaged less than 2.5 yards per carry

Look, when you throw in the Vandy game, his numbers look pretty good for a freshman who got limited carries. But that game was an extreme outlier and it completely mischaracterized the totality of his season. Had 246 yards averaging 9.8 yards and had 3 touchdowns in that one game....rest of the year, in the other 12 games, had 293 yards (24 yards per game) and 1 touchdown, averaged 3.8 yards per carry, including 5 games where he had less than 10 yards rushing per game.

He has potential to be a good running back, he flashed here and there, in about 3-4 games, and with the big Vandy game he wound up with decent numbers in his freshman year. Much room for improvement going forward, which starts in the weight room and getting much stronger.

What were we ranked in rushing?

we finished 12th in the SEC in rushing (144 ypg). But I do believe the OL improved over the season. I would hope we at least move into the top half of the league next season but my wish is for us to be top quartile...

Reactions: vettefool
They would if they ran through gaping holes untouched vs inferior defensive players that comprised one of the worst run defenses in the country.
He’s no heisman candidate for sure. But do a lot of sec backs have 90+ yard td runs?

VN Store

Back