Entrance Requirements for In State Athletes?

LookinUp

Heard on 990 AM Josh Ward, and others, commenting it was too hard for in state athletes to get in UT. A 3.5 GPA and 27 ACT score? This right? If so, can anyone provide a link?

Heard on 990 AM Josh Ward, and others, commenting it was too hard for in state athletes to get in UT. A 3.5 GPA and 27 ACT score? This right? If so, can anyone provide a link?

Don;t think that is correct. I know some people that were not athletes get it with way lower scores than both of those. I would expect it to be easier if you were an athlete

i say BS on those numbers...but i have no proof

Maybe that was the average of the current freshman class from high school. But I can't see that being the entrance for athletes.

Reactions: 2 people
That may be the average but that is definitey not the requirements for atheletes.

It'll get worse. It was a 26 when I went into UTK and a 3.5 GPA. It's getting harder and harder to get into college because its become the norm. What's worse is there is zero jobs out there for ppl when they graduate and don't go to Pharmacy school or Med school etc

Not for athletes. That is a complete joke. Tennessee has got some people in school that I'm amazed got eligible.

That is absolutely false, hell i got into UT with a 24 ACT and 3.0 GPA, no community service, no leadership in high school. Dont know what people are talking about but noone that i know even has a 28 on their ACT and these are all current freshman at UT im talking about, players and regular students

It'll get worse. It was a 26 when I went into UTK and a 3.5 GPA. It's getting harder and harder to get into college because its become the norm. What's worse is there is zero jobs out there for ppl when they graduate and don't go to Pharmacy school or Med school etc

The average ACT for this freshman class is 24, explain that if you need a 26 to get in??

The average incoming freshman ACT and GPAs have gone up over the last few years but that does not mean that UT will refuse someone entrance with lower scores. There are other factors that go into admittance like financial need, extra curricular activities, and if you have other attractive features that the University can add to the students overall score. The University has particular goals in mind so if you fit into a particular category then you may be allowed in. The bell shaped curve has been getting less bell shaped but it is still there.

Those are the average scores for last years incoming UT freshmen for the entire university. Not minimum requirements for athletes

Reactions: 1 person
Georgia had the Hope Scholarship much before TN got the equivalent. It's wonderful, but it also causes standards to go way up because the best of the best choose to stay in state. There are ways to work around this average for an athlete, but it will get more difficult for athletes that are on the low end academically.

I'm 90% sure that was the average score of incoming freshman, not the requirements

My daughter is a Senior in HS and was basically told without a 27, the odds were not good.

My daughter has a 3.7, but only has a 22 and was told she doesn't stand much of a chance because of the competition. She is very bright and studies hard and has little chance of getting in.

I would think the entrance requirements would be much lower for the athletes, but I'm not sure.

My daughter is a Senior in HS and was basically told without a 27, the odds were not good.

My daughter has a 3.7, but only has a 22 and was told she doesn't stand much of a chance because of the competition. She is very bright and studies hard and has little chance of getting in.

I would think the entrance requirements would be much lower for the athletes, but I'm not sure.

My buddy had the same problem. Tell her to hang in there and don't get discouraged. My buddy went on to a community college and kept his GPA very high and got in two years later. He says it was the best thing to ever happen to him as he learned the ins and outs of college at a small school then went to UTK with the understanding of how to really study and do well in college.

My buddy had the same problem. Tell her to hang in there and don't get discouraged. My buddy went on to a community college and kept his GPA very high and got in two years later. He says it was the best thing to ever happen to him as he learned the ins and outs of college at a small school then went to UTK with the understanding of how to really study and do well in college.
Thanks for the response. She has basically decided to do the same thing and go to Roane State for 2 years. I'll tell her about this for encouragement. :good!:

Where is Josh getting his data?

That can't be right because
that's the requirements my son had to meet to get in to engineering school last year...
which has higher standards than most majors.

I was told min ACT/GPA last year was based on the
overall stats of the pool of
applicants he was competing against
for acceptance for that enrollment year.
At least that's how I was told they evaluate kids
applying to the Engineering Dept.
His friends who enrolled in other majors had
lower requirements but it was based on supply/demand.

The year before when my girl applied to
engineering school it was a slightly
lower ACT score she had to meet, so min requirements
fluctuate based on need is what we found.

I know my son has had classes with some freshman
football players and he's met
one player who was an engineering student
who had to meet the same requirements he did to get
accepted to UT, but given the practice load the players have on them for football, I'd say most wouldn't be in a major that tough unless they were exceptional students.

I know it's tough enough just for
my son to be in band and engineering
because the Pride practices so many hours each week during summer/fall....some
weeks even more than the football team!

Go VOLS!!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back