Entrance Requirements for In State Athletes?

My daughter is a Senior in HS and was basically told without a 27, the odds were not good.

My daughter has a 3.7, but only has a 22 and was told she doesn't stand much of a chance because of the competition. She is very bright and studies hard and has little chance of getting in.

I would think the entrance requirements would be much lower for the athletes, but I'm not sure.

Weird.

My GPA out of high school was awful, but I managed a 2000 SAT/29 ACT and got in from out of state with some scholarship money. I also had about 29 hours worth of credits able to transfer in from AP courses, though, so I don't know how much effect that had.

Don;t think that is correct. I know some people that were not athletes get it with way lower scores than both of those. I would expect it to be easier if you were an athlete

I don't think those numbers are correct, however:

1) I don't believe that Cheek makes it any easier on athletes to get in than normal students. This is wrong in my opine. The AD is going to issue X number of schollies (within probably +/- 10) every year. It should be incumbent upon the AD to make sure that these kids attain and maintain their GPA's to school standards. Why do I care if an athlete has a 2.0 or a 4.0 as long as they make the grades once here. That should be on the AD and not the Academic side. Keeping an athlete out because of grades is NOT going to get another kid on the academic side in.
2) The numbers change year to year depending on the number of applicants. Used to be if you were in state you got in with a set minimum GPA and ACT period. Dealing with getting my kids signed up seemed to indicate that this was not the situation anymore. I could be wrong but it feels like there is a quota because there is a waiting period per se after you sign up even if you exceed the minimum requirements. Having said that I don't know of anyone not getting in that are in state kids.

Requirements for Admission | UT Knoxville Undergraduate Admissions

Can't find any "hard" numbers on a quick glance at the link above.

My buddy had the same problem. Tell her to hang in there and don't get discouraged. My buddy went on to a community college and kept his GPA very high and got in two years later. He says it was the best thing to ever happen to him as he learned the ins and outs of college at a small school then went to UTK with the understanding of how to really study and do well in college.

It is ridiculous how may kids look at JC as "what dummies" do to go to college. If you are even marginal or really don't know what you want to do, JC is the absolute best way to go! I went to Volunteer State for two years and it was AWESOME. Many of my friends transferred to Knoxville with me so I had a ready made group of friends and wasn't hit in the face with something the size of UT not knowing anyone or what was expected of me. For me, JC was the way to go and I don't regret it at all. (for what it's worth, my numbers out of high school would have gotten me academic money at UT)

New Freshmen Eligibility Requirements Coming - Edward Aschoff, ESPN.com

Academic change is coming to college sports. And if you ask me, it's the good kind of change.

Starting in 2016, the toughest initial-eligibility requirements ever for student-athletes will be hitting a college campus near, you, ESPN's Mitch Sherman writes. Under the 2016mandate, incoming freshmen will have to graduate from high school with 16 core classes passed, 10 of which must be completed by the start of their senior year. They must pass those core classes within four years and their minimum GPA must be 2.3.

The current requires incoming freshmen to pass the 16 core classes, but 10 don't have to be completed before their senior year and the 16 don't have to be finished within four years. The minimum GPA is also 2.0 matched with an ACT or SAT score on a sliding scale.

New freshmen eligibility standards coming - SEC Blog - ESPN

Georgia had the Hope Scholarship much before TN got the equivalent. It's wonderful, but it also causes standards to go way up because the best of the best choose to stay in state. There are ways to work around this average for an athlete, but it will get more difficult for athletes that are on the low end academically.

This is a good point. UT really began to struggle about the time that the lottery scholarships came into play. I've got to believe there are people on the admissions board who detest football (Jan Kemp) and are willing to limit the athletic exemptions.

The average ACT for this freshman class is 24, explain that if you need a 26 to get in??

Actually what you are saying is absolutely false..

From UT's website

The Class of 2016 comes with an average ACT score of 27 and average GPA of 3.89. About 44 percent had average high school GPAs of 4.0 or higher.

The university received about 14,400 applications for the 4,200 incoming freshman class.

This is a good point. UT really began to struggle about the time that the lottery scholarships came into play. I've got to believe there are people on the admissions board who detest football (Jan Kemp) and are willing to limit the athletic exemptions.

Wait - it's a good point comparing GA and TN re: Hope Scholarships? Why is it that GA seemingly lands a top 5 recruiting class every year then? Apparently the "Jan Kemps" at GA aren't doing a very good job of derailing their football program.

Blaming UT's football losing seaons on academics is as lame as it is wrong.

My daughter is a Senior in HS and was basically told without a 27, the odds were not good.

My daughter has a 3.7, but only has a 22 and was told she doesn't stand much of a chance because of the competition. She is very bright and studies hard and has little chance of getting in.

I would think the entrance requirements would be much lower for the athletes, but I'm not sure.

Tell her not to give up if she really wants to go,My daughter got in two years ago with nearly the same scores,told her same thing so she then applied to TTU got in their no prob. then got letter from ut that she got in .I think a lot kids apply to a lot of schools with no intent to go their.

Wait - it's a good point comparing GA and TN re: Hope Scholarships? Why is it that GA seemingly lands a top 5 recruiting class every year then? Apparently the "Jan Kemps" at GA aren't doing a very good job of derailing their football program.

Blaming UT's football losing seaons on academics is as lame as it is wrong.

The Georgia lottery started in 1992 and best as I recall, they were in the crapper from 1985 - 2001. Just about the time Richt was hired...

Good coaching can overcome academic issues.

Don't forget that Ron Mercer fiasco where here wanted to go to Vandy but his scores were too low. UK was glad to have him.

VN Store

Back