Enough Tennessee fans sound off !

I don't think so. The AD is like the a CEO of a business. Phil will solely be judged on the success of Jeremy Pruit. Not to ofend anyone but women's basketball does not generate any cash and is therefore an afterthought . It's nice when they win but not detrimental to the Athletics Dept. Monetarily if they don't.
I don't have any numbers to support this, but when Pat was coaching and winning, the arena was pretty much full most games. Maybe it was just a break even situation, but I would think the program had to be making money.

You don't know how an AD can be fired for letting one of their most successful programs deteriorate into mediocrity without making a coaching change? It is very simple to understand just like if you fire a coach and botch his or her replacement. It is kind of one of their most important jobs as an AD. You can't be serious?

I don't think so. The AD is like the a CEO of a business. Phil will solely be judged on the success of Jeremy Pruit. Not to ofend anyone but women's basketball does not generate any cash and is therefore an afterthought . It's nice when they win but not detrimental to the Athletics Dept. Monetarily if they don't.

At a major football powerhouse like Alabama, probably but not at a school that hasn't been successful in football in a very long time. Basketball is really the only major program at UT with success recently.

Reactions: 10cpride
And, the problem remains, who would/could Tennessee get to replace her? We've already gone down this road with football. And, does no one know how good Miss State is? I would like to see better results from our team, too. I don't know what the answer is at this point. But, if UT makes a move they damn well better have a top notch coach in the shadows waiting to be announced.

Good. Someone is looking ahead to the key decision. UT can't make another idiotic emotional decision. Make the RIGHT decision this time. I believe Fulmer see that. Now whether he has the ability over the UTLV blue hairs I'm not certain.

Reactions: WeAreTheRealUT.
Replacement is a problem. If you have no one, you have no replacement.

Slydell, I really don't think so. IMO, everyone in the country knows this a Top2 program in WCBB. Plus, every top candidate know that CHW has done the impossible already for them. She followed the legend and didn't measure up. Even better UT was dumb enough to let her stay 3 extra years. That's even more separation from CPS comparisons.

The seat is wide open for the best out there who wants to walk into a McD AA factory, huge salary, giant arena, winning tradition, rabid fanbase, and annually start attending Final Fours. After he/she "turns this mess around", they'll be hailed as one of the best in the game.

It's the PERFECT storm right now. I guarantee you many resume's are being spiffed up as we speak.

As disgusted as I am with the program right now, I think it is only right to let Holly finish the year and then announce her retirement. She has given basically her entire life to the Lady Vols program, and as bad as the results are right now, she deserves to go out with dignity. She was put in an impossible role following Pat. I know this is not the currently politically correct statement on these boards, but if ever anyone deserves the VFL title, it is Holly.

That being said - it is time.

In her demented mind, she believes that she needs just a little more time to turn it around.
She won't retire. Fulmer will have to give her a deadline to turn things around. Give her one season and give her bench marks to achieve. Miss achievements = forced retirement
BS!! The deadline time has come and gone!

Holly is not going to destroy Pat’s legacy. If anything, Holly’s failings is going to make Pat’s legacy higher.
Look at Alabama. Bear became even more of a legend when he was followed by “inept” coaches until Saban came along. Bammers use to talk about the glory days (like we currently do with Pat) but now the Bear is barely remembered as they talk about Saban.

If Holly doesn’t make the tournament, let her go.

Missing the tournament for the FIRST TIME in program history ! would Fulmer need any other
reason to fire warlick ?

OH NO! ESPN SAYS WE'LL MISS THE TOURNY?!?! Eff ESPN, but the LV do suck, and Holly must go.

However, she was Pat's pick, and she will get the dignity of finishing the season as nasty as it might be.

Deal with it.

Reactions: toddechols
As disgusted as I am with the program right now, I think it is only right to let Holly finish the year and then announce her retirement. She has given basically her entire life to the Lady Vols program, and as bad as the results are right now, she deserves to go out with dignity. She was put in an impossible role following Pat. I know this is not the currently politically correct statement on these boards, but if ever anyone deserves the VFL title, it is Holly.

That being said - it is time.
She should be allowed to finish the season, but she needs to announce now that this will be her last.

Reactions: T.J. and GameTime
I agree she needs to finish the season and get the heck out of here as head coach....She could be retained as some kind of ambassador of good will, or something like that....

What has the administration in a pickle is she has a nice class coming in next season....Can they be kept if she leaves as head coach?

We all know the new class would never succeed under Holly's coaching, but if possible, they need to be kept.

In her demented mind, she believes that she needs just a little more time to turn it around.

So did Butch. All that does is extend their paychecks for a bit longer and get the school in a financial obligation. Hopefully UT has learned from past mistakes.

Slydell, I really don't think so. IMO, everyone in the country knows this a Top2 program in WCBB. Plus, every top candidate know that CHW has done the impossible already for them. She followed the legend and didn't measure up. Even better UT was dumb enough to let her stay 3 extra years. That's even more separation from CPS comparisons.

The seat is wide open for the best out there who wants to walk into a McD AA factory, huge salary, giant arena, winning tradition, rabid fanbase, and annually start attending Final Fours. After he/she "turns this mess around", they'll be hailed as one of the best in the game.

It's the PERFECT storm right now. I guarantee you many resume's are being spiffed up as we speak.
A huge point you made is that she did take the hit upon following Pat. That step is off the table so it shouldn't be a problem. I just keep thinking back to the football program when Fulmer was fired. Many fans thought that replacement would be no problem based on UT's history. They must have someone very good in the pocket. I will be surprised if Holly doesn't step down at the end of the season.

Good. Someone is looking ahead to the key decision. UT can't make another idiotic emotional decision. Make the RIGHT decision this time. I believe Fulmer see that. Now whether he has the ability over the UTLV blue hairs I'm not certain.
I'm one of the Blue Hairs. Cheered and followed this program from Pat's very first year. A change is needed and it can be managed to be a very good thing for all. As I said in another post, I really think Holly, herself, will step down at the end of the season.

I'm one of the Blue Hairs. Cheered and followed this program from Pat's very first year. A change is needed and it can be managed to be a very good thing for all. As I said in another post, I really think Holly, herself, will step down at the end of the season.

I think she will too. Only some nutty miraculous NCAAT run could undo it at this point. We're they somehow to get in.

A huge point you made is that she did take the hit upon following Pat. That step is off the table so it shouldn't be a problem. I just keep thinking back to the football program when Fulmer was fired. Many fans thought that replacement would be no problem based on UT's history. They must have someone very good in the pocket. I will be surprised if Holly doesn't step down at the end of the season.

Well, in the FB case, I think UT got "their guy". LK was a pretty hot commodity at that point for most (not all) looking at the coaching carousel. Honestly, I think Haslam (reportedly playing golf w LK beforehand) and Hambone, had verbally landed their "big fish" ahead of time. If your going to fire someone, then this is the right way to do it IMO. Now an $800K buyout for that "big fish" in year 1 ... I don't even know how to comment?

I like your idea of already having a hire in hand first. While that's not a guarantee, I think they could have "a handful"(2 or 3) of desirable replacements with backdoor verbal interest ready. If they don't have a homerun or 3 in hand by season's end, then they'd better ... God forbid ... stay put another year with what we've got. Don't hire just to make a change. UT should get EXACTLY what it wants. I'm not homering here either. Pat built something THAT special.

An experienced AD with lots of national connections should have plenty of surrogates out there who can gauge interest from elite candidates. And that can be done without the AD himself ever personally contacting said candidate.

Reactions: lvocd
Come on....you know Holly is not going to step down. She's gonna take that money. You see all that bling bling she be sporting........

Come on....you know Holly is not going to step down. She's gonna take that money. You see all that bling bling she be sporting........

Of course not.

She'll be forced out behind the scenes. UT will work with her to save face for herself and the uni. The uni will put out a "damage control" press release or stmnt saying how much she's appreciated. She'll talk @ how she is stepping aside and hopes for the best future for UT possible. The mainstream media will eat this up and set the narrative everywhere. Blogs and forums will dig up 101 stories @ what happened behind the scenes. Only 7 of those will be accurate. Nobody outside will ever know which 7. It will be intriguing for a month mx, but the 'coach search" will drown it all out.

We'll all be left with a psuedo-reality of what really went on. Holly retires from coaching wealthy, takes up some small time (HS?) charity-like job, and the UTLV entertainment machine keeps rolling on. BlueBlood transition complete.

That's my prediction.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
I sincerely hope that you are right. I have not been a follower as long as you, but I do attend several games every year and drive a couple of hours to get there. I'm a big fan of women's college basketball, and Pat Summitt was a hero and a legend to me. It breaks my heart to see what is happening to everything that she built. One of the things that bothers me the most about Holly Warlick is that she never publicly takes any personal responsibility for the losses or the negative direction of the program. In my opinion, the greatest coaches always take responsibility for the bad things and praise their players and assistant coaches for the good things. Holly does neither. A great coach responds to the flow of the game, and to his/her players. Holly Warlick just reacts. I hope I am wrong, but I don't think she will ever step down on her own. That would be a genuine response in the best interest of the program and the players. I just don't see her doing it unless her only alternative is being fired.

Replacement is a problem. If you have no one, you have no replacement.

I think the decision has been made to let her go but I agree with you that we better have a good replacement lined up or it can get much worse.

I sincerely hope that you are right. I have not been a follower as long as you, but I do attend several games every year and drive a couple of hours to get there. I'm a big fan of women's college basketball, and Pat Summitt was a hero and a legend to me. It breaks my heart to see what is happening to everything that she built. One of the things that bothers me the most about Holly Warlick is that she never publicly takes any personal responsibility for the losses or the negative direction of the program. In my opinion, the greatest coaches always take responsibility for the bad things and praise their players and assistant coaches for the good things. Holly does neither. A great coach responds to the flow of the game, and to his/her players. Holly Warlick just reacts. I hope I am wrong, but I don't think she will ever step down on her own. That would be a genuine response in the best interest of the program and the players. I just don't see her doing it unless her only alternative is being fired.

I honestly think she doesn't even see that she is responsible, which is, to me, the saddest part of this whole ordeal. It would make a tremendous difference to fans AND her players if she were to publicly take responsibility -- even if in her mind she feels like she's lying in doing so. I can't help but wonder how the players feel about getting all the blame when it's obvious that they're not being taught even simple things like in-bounds plays and such. Or, despite YEARS of being flummoxed by it, how to beat a 2-3 zone defense, etc.

My gut feeling is that Holly will hold on as long as she and all her staff can so that they all get paid, regardless of how many more negative records they create. I get that no-one wants to be responsible for others losing their livelihoods, I really do. But I'm beginning to get genuinely angry that she may just be selfish/emotionally immature enough to keep coaching in perpetuity, regardless of whether they even win a single game, as long as no-one has to lose her/his job. It is the very nature of the coaching profession that if a staff's results aren't good enough, they'll be replaced. THIS IS NOT A NEW PROCESS INVENTED JUST TO HURT HOLLY AND HER STAFF!!!! The thought that Holly may actually be the kind of person who is willing to sacrifice the standing of an entire program because she doesn't want her staff to have to find other jobs shows that she should never have been a head coach in the first place and is, to put it bluntly, making me lose my good will toward her.

Last edited:
You do not keep a coach that can't coach simply because there are some fans worried about getting a new coach for next season. It is still the Lady Vols program and there are only a few coaches in the country that would not leave their current job to come here and coach a team loaded with McDonald's All American players. Keeping bad coach does more damage than making a few bad hires until you get it right.
Absolutely right, this thought process of “ well we mine as well keep her and suck because we don’t have a sure fire hall of fame coach lined up to replace her.” Is honestly one of the dumbest lines of thought I have ever heard.

Reactions: the_great_pumpkin

VN Store

Back