Enough Tennessee fans sound off !

I think the decision has been made to let her go but I agree with you that we better have a good replacement lined up or it can get much worse.

Well, that certainly is true. I was in the "be careful what you ask for" camp back in the year Fulmer was fired. I honestly didn't see us getting worse. But once Hambone left the friggin' gate open with an $800K buyout and boy wonder left in the night, it happened. It's hard to believe that it actually got worse, but it sure did.

This can get worse too. But the coach in question this time has built basically no coaching credits to her own right. She took a blueblood program and slowly drained it down to an average SEC one. So the decision is not pitting a legendary coach vs possible risks. This is pitting a failing coach vs possible risks. Much easier decision IMO.

Reactions: PineyBluff Vol
Absolutely right, this thought process of “ well we mine as well keep her and suck because we don’t have a sure fire hall of fame coach lined up to replace her.” Is honestly one of the dumbest lines of thought I have ever heard.

True. The idea that Geno or most any other current HoF coach will coming is a fairy tale. It's frankly some kind of risk no matter who is hired. The goal is to hire the candidate with BEST upside within our culture. The more proven the candidate, the less risk. But, a less proven candidate may have greater upside. Of course, Geno and Pat were once unproven rookie HCs.

I'd take the paycheck, but otherwise glad Phil has to sign off on this choice. We should have several quality options with various levels of "proof". He/they will have to pull the trigger on their top choice.

Missing the tournament for the FIRST TIME in program history ! would Fulmer need any other
reason to fire warlick ?
DzFPbN-XgAMwIf9.jpg

"Th LOOK" says it all.

I'm one of the Blue Hairs. Cheered and followed this program from Pat's very first year. A change is needed and it can be managed to be a very good thing for all. As I said in another post, I really think Holly, herself, will step down at the end of the season.

I am following up on a couple of your posts (mainly to agree).

First, this game changes very little and so the new round of hair on fire we must fire Holly right now, even if we don't a replacement in the wings, is silly.

The LVs got blown our by ND and MissST who are both legit title contenders. I would have liked to see the LVs play better but the close losses to lesser teams in the seven game losing streak are the ones that may knock them out of the tournament. The LVs were clearly overmatched in this game but fought hard for 3 quarters. Evina might have helped keep the game a little closer. But, the tourney changes now hinge on running the table against everyone else, except SC (where a win may be needed but a close loss might not be a killer). In lieu of a SC win, the LVs will need a deeper run in the SEC tourney (probably the semis) to lock in a spot.

All that is a way of saying, yes, a change is needed but there is no reason to think that losing to the 22-1 national runner-up on their home court is going to make Fulmer rethink anything. I am sure he knows a change is needed but he will let Holly finish out the season.

I also think folks are way over estimating the "dream" nature of this job. For candidates who have LV ties, absolutely but for others, there are plenty of schools that have $, facilities, and strong recruiting networks. It is not at all clear that UTAD is willing to pay top $ for a coach either. A lot of established coaches might have roots put down and would not make a move without significant financial enticements.

In the end, I think UT can find a great coach but the idea that all the talent will come running once Fulmer snaps his fingers is not realistic. The struggles of the football program are relevant or the very long period between Don Devoe and Bruce Pearl and the miscues until Barnes arrived (who was a bit of a tainted coach after being fired from Texas). When Barnes took the job, not many were proclaiming he was "a cream of the crop" hire, though it has worked out that way.

I agree she needs to finish the season and get the heck out of here as head coach....She could be retained as some kind of ambassador of good will, or something like that....

What has the administration in a pickle is she has a nice class coming in next season....Can they be kept if she leaves as head coach?

We all know the new class would never succeed under Holly's coaching, but if possible, they need to be kept.
But this has been true for 3 or more years now," best class" means nothing if it does not do well.

Agree with that premise made by madtown. Supposing a replacement will happen, even though a new coach would be following Warlick's debacle, that candidate would still be coaching in the shadow of Summitt's 8 NC banners and on the floor that bears her name. Many of these prolific names being bounced around are already the face of their respective schools' sports departments and athletic programs. Why leave their schools when they have Tennessee solved and can recruit to their programs just as competitively and make noise on a national level?

Reactions: Bennessee01
I am following up on a couple of your posts (mainly to agree).

First, this game changes very little and so the new round of hair on fire we must fire Holly right now, even if we don't a replacement in the wings, is silly.

The LVs got blown our by ND and MissST who are both legit title contenders. I would have liked to see the LVs play better but the close losses to lesser teams in the seven game losing streak are the ones that may knock them out of the tournament. The LVs were clearly overmatched in this game but fought hard for 3 quarters. Evina might have helped keep the game a little closer. But, the tourney changes now hinge on running the table against everyone else, except SC (where a win may be needed but a close loss might not be a killer). In lieu of a SC win, the LVs will need a deeper run in the SEC tourney (probably the semis) to lock in a spot.

All that is a way of saying, yes, a change is needed but there is no reason to think that losing to the 22-1 national runner-up on their home court is going to make Fulmer rethink anything. I am sure he knows a change is needed but he will let Holly finish out the season.

I also think folks are way over estimating the "dream" nature of this job. For candidates who have LV ties, absolutely but for others, there are plenty of schools that have $, facilities, and strong recruiting networks. It is not at all clear that UTAD is willing to pay top $ for a coach either. A lot of established coaches might have roots put down and would not make a move without significant financial enticements.

In the end, I think UT can find a great coach but the idea that all the talent will come running once Fulmer snaps his fingers is not realistic. The struggles of the football program are relevant or the very long period between Don Devoe and Bruce Pearl and the miscues until Barnes arrived (who was a bit of a tainted coach after being fired from Texas). When Barnes took the job, not many were proclaiming he was "a cream of the crop" hire, though it has worked out that way.
Don't you think if word went out now that she is retiring after the season, quite a few coaches would get word to Fulmer that they were interested?

It seems logical that inquires are being made behind the scenes even now....Calls are probably going both ways....
After all sports fans, there's a lot of money to be made coaching the LVs.

I have often wondered what Pat...or any number of proven coaches could have done with the talent Holly has had the last few years. The game has changed but Tennessee has recruited better than most and has less to show for it.

Don't you think if word went out now that she is retiring after the season, quite a few coaches would get word to Fulmer that they were interested?
Yes, and that strategy makes sense. I was agreeing with Slydell that firing her right this second would not be the way to go.

With all due respect i don't give a d*** if she was Trump pick she needs to go now.

Haha Amen! who the hel keep saying pat pick.. u think pat would've allowed her to coach over 3yrs if she was incharge I don't think so.

No respect for her, fire her now. Wait till Season end so she can **** it all up. "He who knocks at the door of an ass will be welcome by ****". As for Phil Fulmer, "A child that cries all night and says, I will not let mommy & Daddy to sleep, the child will not sleep as well".

In her demented mind, she believes that she needs just a little more time to turn it around.
She won't retire. Fulmer will have to give her a deadline to turn things around. Give her one season and give her bench marks to achieve. Miss achievements = forced retirement
One more season? Why? What has she done to deserve it? She should resign now if she truly cared about the program! This is excruciating to watch frankly.

Replacement is not a problem, let her go first. Even if they can play without a coach and play better.

A few people keep saying how difficult it will be to get a great replacement for Holly, however, I do not believe that is true for several reasons. For one the Lady Vols have a rich winning history, nice facilities, it is located in a very nice area and has a devoted fan base. In addition, the program is a recruitment magnet. I believe the Lady Vol program is a far easy sale than most other top ten programs. In reality, Tennessee is the Mecca of women's basketball and Knoxville, being the home of the women's hall of fame, makes it even more inviting. I also believe there are coaches, including some on top ten programs, who would see it as an honor to be the person to restore the Lady Vols back to being a consistent top ten program. I really believe that a lot of top coaches are pained about what is going on in Knoxville. You hear it in many of their voices when they talk about the program. I think a lot of coaches and analysist feel for Holly and just refuse to throw her under the bus.

A few people keep saying how difficult it will be to get a great replacement for Holly, however, I do not believe that is true for several reasons. For one the Lady Vols have a rich winning history, nice facilities, it is located in a very nice area and has a devoted fan base. In addition, the program is a recruitment magnet. I believe the Lady Vol program is a far easy sale than most other top ten programs. In reality, Tennessee is the Mecca of women's basketball and Knoxville, being the home of the women's hall of fame, makes it even more inviting. I also believe there are coaches, including some on top ten programs, who would see it as an honor to be the person to restore the Lady Vols back to being a consistent top ten program. I really believe that a lot of top coaches are pained about what is going on in Knoxville. You hear it in many of their voices when they talk about the program. I think a lot of coaches and analysist feel for Holly and just refuse to throw her under the bus.

This is a program that you shouldn't even be in a "sell it" conversation.

Reactions: the_great_pumpkin
At a major football powerhouse like Alabama, probably but not at a school that hasn't been successful in football in a very long time. Basketball is really the only major program at UT with success recently.
It's not just about wins and losses. You do realize the $ made from football and Men's basketball subsidizes every other sports team on campus?

And, the problem remains, who would/could Tennessee get to replace her? We've already gone down this road with football. And, does no one know how good Miss State is? I would like to see better results from our team, too. I don't know what the answer is at this point. But, if UT makes a move they damn well better have a top notch coach in the shadows waiting to be announced.
Wes Moore, Scott Rueck, Kelly Graves

Fulmer has never seen the value and importance of the Lady Vols Basketball program. His eyes are set on the football program. I am concerned the Lady Vols have digressed so far under Holly that it will take a long time for the program to return. We need to remember that the latest recruits who committed to Tennessee are one of the last generation of players who still remember Coach Pat Head Summitt. Warlick has been riding the coat tails of Coach Summitt in recruiting many players. Soon, we will see a whole new generation of players who will have no knowledge of Pat and her winning programs. Many future high school girls will seek other programs and the Lady Vols of yesterday will be history and a distant memory only written in the books. The Lady Vols are now at a tipping point of falling to the cellar to see it never return unless Fulmer does something quick to change the direction of the program with a new successful coach. If the trend continues, future Lady Vols will only consist of second-tier recruits who are the left-overs after the premier programs have picked over the best recruits. It has become a very sad situation and will only become worse without action.

Reactions: Nute Gunray

VN Store

Back