Electric Vehicles

Public charging stations have turned into car graveyards over the past couple of days.

"Nothing. No juice. Still on zero percent," said Tyler Beard, who has been trying to recharge his Tesla at an Oak Brook Tesla supercharging station since Sunday afternoon. "And this is like three hours being out here after being out here three hours yesterday."

Beard was among the dozens of Tesla owners trying desperately to power up their cars at the Tesla supercharging station in Oak Brook. It was a scene mirrored with long lines and abandoned cars at scores of other charging stations around the Chicago area.

Blizzard of '24 report:

The T3P does very well in snow. I used Track mode with 50/50 power and turned off regen braking.

However, like with any car, I had a tricky situation up a hill on ice this evening after a quick visit to fix a scalp lac when a friend's kid busted her head sledding.

All in all, it handled much better than your average sedan.

Blizzard of '24 report:

The T3P does very well in snow. I used Track mode with 50/50 power and turned off regen braking.

However, like with any car, I had a tricky situation up a hill on ice this evening after a quick visit to fix a scalp lac when a friend's kid busted her head sledding.

All in all, it handled much better than your average sedan.
My old sh!!box 97 Cavalier, with two used snow/winter tires on the front, could go anywhere in the snow.

Analog vs. digital.

So, as it turns out, there is a lot of false info circulating about this Hertz deal. For example: there are no Model S cars being offered. The long range 3s are in the neighborhood of $30k, and that's with 50,000+ miles on them. Comparatively, here is what you can get a brand new 3LR for in this area:

1000008119.jpg

The base 3 now starts around $37 new.

If I'm in the market, I would go new for $10k more all day long.

Former Generals Say Biden’s Electric Vehicle Plan Is Putting National Security At Risk​

A group of 17 retired military officials sent a letter to President Joe Biden on Thursday, warning him that his electric vehicle plan was putting the United States’s national security at risk.

The group warned Biden and the Environmental Protection Agency that the administration’s current plan would make the U.S. more reliant on China because it would cause the U.S. to make changes to the transportation industry before the necessary infrastructure to support it was ready.

“Even more concerning is the fact that this reliance hinges upon China’s goodwill to export those minerals and manufactured goods to the U.S.,” the letter, which was obtained by Fox News, said.

“This will undoubtedly open the U.S. up to economic manipulations by China, identical to what Russia is doing with Ukrainian grain exports, and a major threat to our national security. We do not believe now is the time for us to make ourselves vulnerable to such easy political pressures,” it said.

How long will it be before Blue-Oval in Brownsville goes belly-up?

I dont envy the auto makers..they are being told no gas powered for the future and EVs are not ready for the masses. In the end consumers and taxpayers will pay for such sheer stupidity.

Reactions: StarRaider
I dont envy the auto makers..they are being told no gas powered for the future and EVs are not ready for the masses. In the end consumers and taxpayers will pay for such sheer stupidity.

I feel absolutely no sorrow for them. They could have stopped this crap decades ago.

I don't either especially American automotive companies with them basically being strong armed to go all-in into the market. Toyota certainly took the best approach in slow playing the market while investing their NPD money in other alternatives such as Hydrogen Fuel Cell technology.

If you want to see where the market is really heading look into hydrogen power production and see who all is involved. Exxon, BP, and Chevron. All 3 appear to be in a race to see who can get there. That transition is going to be much more feasible once they are able to effectively produce/transit.

One good thing that the EV market will have going for it is that the hydrogen fuel cell will mate up to an electric motor so not all will be lost in their innovation over the last couple of years. Outside of that EVs will flounder within the next decade as companies are starting to pull future NPD projects starting as early as 2026.

I think Blue Oval will still be there but it won't be for EV production.

Government trying to mandate demand ...

From the article:

The grants from the FHWA are part of two EV charger programs established by the Biden administration in the November 2021 Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, the National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) Formula Program and the Charging and Fueling Infrastructure (CFI) Discretionary Grant Program, which were designated collectively $7.5 billion for charger construction and upgrades.

However, there have only two stations have been built due to NEVI as of December, according to the Department of Transportation, with experts telling the DCNF that lack of demand, regulations and union requirements are stalling construction.

VN Store

Back