Electric Vehicles

On the trip back from Miami, after about 9pm the kids were asleep, and we stopped twice to charge. Probably an hour total where I was wishing for just a 5 minute gas stop. The car did fine otherwise, but like others are saying, I would get annoyed on a road trip by myself unless I was intentionally not trying to get to my destination at any given time.

95% of the time my wife commutes to south Knoxville from Corryton and has a full battery every single morning.

That's roughly 900 miles. What is the range of your vehicle on a full charge? And how much capacity is replaced with a 30 minute charge?

Report: Tesla Crashes Increased After Elon Musk Removed Radar Sensors from Cars

A recent report claims that Elon Musk’s decision to remove radar sensors from Tesla cars and rely on cameras for its Full Self-Driving software has resulted in a number of collisions and near-misses for drivers.

According to a recent article from the Washington Post, Tesla’s decision to remove radar sensors from its cars has reportedly increased the number of collisions and near-collisions for drivers. Numerous former employees, test drivers, and other experts were cited in the article as saying that after the update, more Teslas operating on Autopilot or Full Self-Driving started stopping for non-existent obstacles, misreading street signs, and having trouble identifying emergency vehicles.
https://media.breitbart.com/media/2022/11/Elon-Musk-satanic-costume.jpg
Report: Tesla Crashes Increased After Elon Musk Removed Radar Sensors from Cars

Just had a client drive a Tesla model X from Knoxville to Daytona. Super charging network made it easy.
So did he/they/them drive 300 miles each time between stops and make a 900 mile drive only stopping twice for a charge just like one of our posters claimed?

Reactions: Tnslim1
That's roughly 900 miles. What is the range of your vehicle on a full charge? And how much capacity is replaced with a 30 minute charge?

Full charge is 320ish miles. Because these superchargers are usually in cities and major truck stop locations, the car will tell you when it’s most advantageous to stop for a charge. Most of the time it was projecting about 150-200 miles between charges, and anywhere from 20-40 minutes at each charger. It slows you down on a long trip not having as many charging stations as gas stations, so you do have to take that into account.

Supercharger speed depends on the stations, the newer ones are a little faster. 30 minutes gets you 150-200 miles from my experience. So on that trip, if it was time to eat we would charge longer and make it further on the next leg of the trip.

Full charge is 320ish miles. Because these superchargers are usually in cities and major truck stop locations, the car will tell you when it’s most advantageous to stop for a charge. Most of the time it was projecting about 150-200 miles between charges, and anywhere from 20-40 minutes at each charger. It slows you down on a long trip not having as many charging stations as gas stations, so you do have to take that into account.

Supercharger speed depends on the stations, the newer ones are a little faster. 30 minutes gets you 150-200 miles from my experience. So on that trip, if it was time to eat we would charge longer and make it further on the next leg of the trip.

I'm sure there won't be any thugs hanging out at the charging stations.

You may not have meant it this way, but your post about the trip implied you only stopped twice to charge. You stopped more than that and spent way more than an hour charging up.

So let's get real about this., with an EV, for interstate travel, you'll need to stop every 2-3 hours for about 30 minutes to recharge, with my Durango getting about 535 miles per tank, I'll be stopping every for 15 minutes every 7 to 8 hours to refuel 2-3 hours to empty my bladder.

Reactions: WBO
Nolte: Democrat-Run City Bans New Gas Stations to Fight Climate Change

The lunatics in charge of Louisville, Colorado, have decided to ban any new gas stations from moving into their city.

Currently, Louisville has a population of 21,000 people and only six gas stations.

Additionally, any new “gas stations and service stations will also be required to have at least two charging stations for electric vehicles and be 1,000 feet from existing stations unless they are part of a large retail center, according to the ordinance.”

Nolte: Democrat-Run City Bans New Gas Stations to Fight Climate Change

EV Fail: Rivian Electric Truck Owner’s ‘Honeymoon Phase’ Ends When It Gets Stuck in Snow

Rivian-R1S-in-the-snow-640x480.jpg

The owner of a Rivian R1S electric SUV was overjoyed to have his dream electric vehicle after waiting for years. But after owning the car for just days, it got stuck in the snow and immobilized by a safety feature, leading to a $2,100 bill to transport it to a repair facility.

EV Fail: Rivian Electric Truck Owner's 'Honeymoon Phase' Ends When It Gets Stuck in Snow

Reactions: 508mikey
Electric Vehicles Bleeding Red Ink: Ford Is Losing Billions on EVs

Ford Motor Company says its electric vehicle (EV) unit, “Ford Model e,” is losing billions of dollars, and should be viewed as a startup company.

Model e has lost $3 billion before taxes over the last two years, and is expected to lose another $3 billion this year as the company invests in the new technology, according to a report by Associated Press.
https://media.breitbart.com/media/2022/06/Ford-CEO-Jim-Farley.jpg
Electric Vehicles Bleeding Red Ink: Ford Is Losing Billions on EVs

You may not have meant it this way, but your post about the trip implied you only stopped twice to charge. You stopped more than that and spent way more than an hour charging up.

My post stated that I stopped to charge twice after 9PM, while the kids were sleeping. I was directly addressing the inconvenience of how long it takes to charge sometimes. I'm not a fanboy, but a regular consumer.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
So let's get real about this., with an EV, for interstate travel, you'll need to stop every 2-3 hours for about 30 minutes to recharge, with my Durango getting about 535 miles per tank, I'll be stopping every for 15 minutes every 7 to 8 hours to refuel 2-3 hours to empty my bladder.

Correct. 99% of the Tesla's use in our family is daily commuting, so we are in good shape. I don't compare the range in the car to a gas car because most of the time it doesn't matter. Just like I don't compare the Tesla's towing capacity or off-road capability to my truck. If I need the truck, I take the truck.

Reactions: Wireless1
Electric Vehicle startup to Lay Off Hundreds of Employees at every level of company

The electric vehicle startup Lucid told employees it would lay off roughly 18% of its workforce during a staff meeting on Tuesday.

Lucid CEO Peter Rawlinson told employees the company would cut hundreds of workers. He said details of the layoffs would be released in the coming days. The cuts will affect every level of the company, including executives. There will be about 1,300 cuts.

The dashboard of a Lucid Air electric car sits on display inside a showroom, Thursday, Feb. 9, 2023, in White Plains, N.Y.

The decision comes after months of car production problems for the company, and it is part of the company's restructuring plan. The company announced a recall of nearly 600 vehicles earlier this week. The recall was to fix a problem that could lead to the vehicles losing power.

Electric vehicle startup to lay off hundreds of employees at every level of company

Electric Vehicle startup to Lay Off Hundreds of Employees at every level of company

The electric vehicle startup Lucid told employees it would lay off roughly 18% of its workforce during a staff meeting on Tuesday.

Lucid CEO Peter Rawlinson told employees the company would cut hundreds of workers. He said details of the layoffs would be released in the coming days. The cuts will affect every level of the company, including executives. There will be about 1,300 cuts.

The dashboard of a Lucid Air electric car sits on display inside a showroom, Thursday, Feb. 9, 2023, in White Plains, N.Y.

The decision comes after months of car production problems for the company, and it is part of the company's restructuring plan. The company announced a recall of nearly 600 vehicles earlier this week. The recall was to fix a problem that could lead to the vehicles losing power.

Electric vehicle startup to lay off hundreds of employees at every level of company
Neighbor has one of those. Interesting looking car

VN Store

Back