Either DL gonna be unreal good or

1) it really made the game very slow to begin with. Tough to watch and wasn’t real exciting.
2) you show your opponents early what you can’t handle on the OL
3) much less but you’re showing some of your blitzes (probably will see it from last yrs film anyway)

I’d recommend starting playing D pretty basic early then later show a couple of blitz plays but not many. Jmo
People like you have no business posting anything about football. You must be left wing, yep for sure

Reactions: VolAmerican
D line is not as good as it seemed although I do expect them to be a strength at times. O line was suspect for sure. Hope McCullough starts he’s a beast in the secondary.

Who are the 2 starters missing? Kennedy and who else, if you think Kennedy will start. And no, I don’t think Smith is or should come back.

Wright but trusting a true freshman makes me nervous, especially one who missed Spring ball.

I don't think Trey Smith will ever play again , I'm sad for him great player he wants to play Vols need players like Trey . I would not want him to risk his health to play football not worth it
my hope is you get healthy live a long productive life FB not that important ……………...GO VOLS

Reactions: 08Vol and guido4198
OL still not good so I would be hesitant regarding our DL prospects for next season. We need two more great recruiting cycles to get more talent in Knoxville to be competitive in top portion of SEC. I think shooting for 6-6 or 7-5 season , go to a bowl, and keep up the recruiting effort is what we should hope for.

Reactions: Wes76abrams
Indeed. For context, DL is well below SEC average with no experience.....and they’re dominating the OL.
th

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
1) it really made the game very slow to begin with. Tough to watch and wasn’t real exciting.
2) you show your opponents early what you can’t handle on the OL
3) much less but you’re showing some of your blitzes (probably will see it from last yrs film anyway)

I’d recommend starting playing D pretty basic early then later show a couple of blitz plays but not many. Jmo

In my opinion we have nothing to hide from the competition. Everyone realizes it is what it is. All we can do is take advantage of every opportunity we have to practice and get reps. It’s all about getting more reps and actively working to get better with each rep. Hence the 1’s vs the 1’s.

I thought they looked like an SEC team size wise for the first time in a while. That’s a step for sure.

O-Line.. trying to compete in the SEC with 2 high school kids ...??? Gonna be a long year AGAIN for J G, and anyone else who steps in that “knocking box” laughingly being referred to as a “ pocket”.
I’m hearing and seeing all the right things for the FUTURE and remain committed to CJP and the future of Big Orange Football but anyone thinking 2019 is THE year the VOLS are back will be disappointed.
Go Big Orange..!!!

In my opinion we have nothing to hide from the competition. Everyone realizes it is what it is. All we can do is take advantage of every opportunity we have to practice and get reps. It’s all about getting more reps and actively working to get better with each rep. Hence the 1’s vs the 1’s.

I thought they looked like an SEC team size wise for the first time in a while. That’s a step for sure.
Bingo. No SEC team is paying any attention to Tennessee, nor should they....not Alabama, not Florida, not Vandy.

And we shouldn’t care. We’re so far behind that we’ve got to practice everything, put it all in the table and work towards becoming a good SEC team. Once we’re there, once we’re competitive again and become a potential threat to any other SEC team, then we can talk about competitive advantages and not showing our hand. Until then, all bets are off. Work on what you have to work whether it be in a closed practice or during a televised spring game.

Ok it take a while for olines to gel and start to pick up blitzes. I thought the oline was consistently average except for the right side was somewhat below average. Run blocking was good pass blocking was average. I think there will be a shuffle in the off-season so I’m not too concerned with the oline. The guys looked way better than last year. Proper first steps, Double teams, picked up stunts consistently what more can u ask for in the spring? The dline was what concerned me the most. Once the offense settled there was no pressure at all up the middle. Many time the nt couldn’t command a double team in running situations. In the 4th the ones and the twos looked almost identical which tells me that we don’t have enough body. Overall the d looked slow. The front seven needs work. Secondary was pretty good all day.

Lets just call it what it is, our team is still not good. Both lines are still well below average fir the SEC. There is no quality depth on either line. Having said that, we should see some improvement on both lines. There is absolutely no excuse for TN not to have an OL and DL comparable to Vandy, UK and Mizzou this year.

Both the Dline and the Oline are suspect, you can only make so much progress in 1 year.

I still think think this team can win 6 or 7 games this year.... patience is the word in Knoxville, patience and more patience

Capable of winning 6 games but they won’t. 5 games is the ceiling
4 non conference games & either Vandy or Ky but not both of them
1 SEC win & 4 non conference wins = no bowl game

Reactions: 08Vol
I can't say it enough...." I expect great things from Maurer down the road." So much so, I'm not sure Shrout is ever the starting QB.

Somebody has to play it. If that person can rally his teammates and get the offense going, then yeah, he'll stay in.

I hope everybody is beginning to see now why I've been hyping up this kid. Brian Maurer will need to be in there if we're to make a bowl game.

Reactions: cgrish
Somebody has to play it. If that person can rally his teammates and get the offense going, then yeah, he'll stay in.

I hope everybody is beginning to see now why I've been hyping up this kid. Brian Maurer will need to be in there if we're to make a bowl game.

Lol. Wrong.

He needs work, he's not ready. But yeah he'll be good one day down the road.

**I don't think he would get us to a bowl game, still a lot to work on. But his "natural ability" is evident, at least to me.

Out of curiosity, what did you think of Shrout and Maurer yesterday?

Both looked ok. I think Maurer just needs some time. Shrout showed some flashes. Neither really showed anything special imo. I am excited about our QB play in the future. Hopefully Shrout, Maurer and Bailey will not have to go through anything like JG has.

Reactions: Sara Clark

VN Store

Back