Edey says Rick Barnes looked over him

Excellent point. DK was just as overlooked if not more. Had to go the JC route just to get noticed. Developed late and spent 2 years toiling in obscurity (not in the limelight at Purdue) before getting his shot at the big time. He flat delivered and didn’t get preferential treatment like Edey gets. He has more reason to cry than Edey but you hear nothing but appreciation and class from him. Very telling about the difference in character and thought process before speaking.
Exactly.

Knecht didn't get the head start of being able to move from Toronto to go to IMG like Edey.

Yesterday summed up the difference in the two players.

Knecht deflects when it's suggested he put the team on his back and gives his guys credit.

Edey makes it about himself complaining about his recruitment.

I know a couple of real badass dudes, who don’t feel the need to tell you they can rip your throat out of your neck, you just know they can.
The good ones don’t need to tell us they are good, everyone knows it. Have some respect for your opponent and for the game. I guarantee you that Rick Barnes was very respectful during this kids recruitment.
Do you think Barnes said “you are not good enough to play for us!”
I doubt it.
Nobody overlooked a 7’+ three star basketball player.
Some may have told him that he didn’t fit their style or scheme, but no one “overlooked” him.
But if he needs that motivation, then more power to him.
Pretty obvious to me that since he only had offers from a few schools that there were plenty of coaches who knew he was a project and didn’t want to waste a scholarship at the time. That’s a business decision. But as you said, if that’s what it takes to get him going, so be it.

Just had a thought, wonder if he sent floaters out for some NIL money this year in hope of getting some of that UT love? Barnes might have replied that we don't want people that are only here for the money.

Last point I’ll make is that I sadly couldn’t help myself and read the comments on the X post of the interview.

It baffles me that so many are commenting how TN fans are classless, so “We” shouldn’t comment on a classless statement by Edey.

Nobody seems to get that they’re not making an apples to apples comparison argument.

We are fans. Fans classlessness standards are set at a pretty generous range.
Edey is a player. Players (IMO) have a higher standard. Or at least they should. They’re not fans.

Now, I’m officially moving on. 😂 Just had to get that in. It irked me.

It was classless to mention Coach Barnes by name. I don't if we simply didn't try to recruit the guy or what, but it wasn't necessary
to mention any coaches by name. He could have simply said "I lot of coaches chose not to recruit me..." and left it at that.
Yep, that is exactly my point.

Last point I’ll make is that I sadly couldn’t help myself and read the comments on the X post of the interview.

It baffles me that so many are commenting how TN fans are classless, so “We” shouldn’t comment on a classless statement by Edey.

Nobody seems to get that they’re not making an apples to apples comparison argument.

We are fans. Fans classlessness standards are set at a pretty generous range.
Edey is a player. Players (IMO) have a higher standard. Or at least they should. They’re not fans.

Now, I’m officially moving on. 😂 Just had to get that in. It irked me.
Thanks for reminding me why I’m not nor will ever be on X. From what I hear, it’s full of imbeciles that feel the need to comment on topics they have no clue about. And I really don’t need to see multiple pictures of what somebody is having for dinner.

Reactions: Chad Powers
So did pretty much every other coach in America. He had 3 offers and took the best one. But, good on him for using that as fuel.

I read he was 7-2 his senior year of high school and was on the bench at IMG. You have to be really terrible fundamentally to be that tall, be at IMG, and only get 3 offers. Goes to show how much a difference those few extra inches made once he grew even more in college. Good thing he continued to grow. I think if he was a normal sized big, he would be nothing special

Reactions: Volfan1000
I read he was 7-2 his senior year of high school and was on the bench at IMG. You have to be really terrible fundamentally to be that tall, be at IMG, and only get 3 offers. Goes to show how much a difference those few extra inches made once he grew even more in college. Good thing he continued to grow. I think if he was a normal sized big, he would be nothing special
No doubt he shouldn't have mentioned Barnes specifically. Big guys take time to grow into their bodies. Credit coach painter for realizing this and building a top program around him.

'If he was a normal sized big, he would be nothing special"....But he's not..

If any of our players were 2 inches shorter the same would be true.

It was classless to mention Coach Barnes by name. I don't if we simply didn't try to recruit the guy or what, but it wasn't necessary
to mention any coaches by name. He could have simply said "I lot of coaches chose not to recruit me..." and left it at that.
Based on how both Barnes and Edey handled the post game, I think it's clear there was no fit between Barnes and Edey. There's a character/culture that Barnes requires. Edey is clearly not a fit.

Based on how both Barnes and Edey handled the post game, I think it's clear there was no fit between Barnes and Edey. There's a character/culture that Barnes requires. Edey is clearly not a fit.
That same culture misfit also is how he ended up at Purdue. Nobody else really wanted him either.

Reactions: Hoggervol
No doubt he shouldn't have mentioned Barnes specifically. Big guys take time to grow into their bodies. Credit coach painter for realizing this and building a top program around him.

'If he was a normal sized big, he would be nothing special"....But he's not..

If any of our players were 2 inches shorter the same would be true.
The difference is that Edey is taller than everybody else. Losing 2 inches, he would still be taller than most everybody else and have a height advantage. But if our players lost 2 inches, they would go from normal size to being at a disadvantage. They are two different things.

Edey doesn't realize he should be grateful for his gift of stealth..... the refs can' see him either when he camps out in the lane.

He still doesn't seem to be anything special. If fouls were called correctly, he would be out of a game more than he would be in a game.

Reactions: EasternVol

VN Store

Back