Ed Orgeron & wife Kelly divorcing

Yes, I'm less than 40. Older than your son, and married, but less than 40.

I'd still be surprised if Coach O's wife got any significant portion of his future income, especially considering when they split up the assets 50/50 (see I can be practical too...that isn't how it "should" work but it will be how this works) she'll be a pretty wealthy woman. In those two situations you described, the husband sounds like he hadn't quite "made it" yet. The steel fab guy's business took off later, and the eventual surgeon wasn't a surgeon yet. I'm presuming there wasn't a big pool of marital assets to split up at the time of those divorce, so they worked out an alimony deal where the ex-husband has to pay the ex-wife money because he makes way more money than her and she claims she "can't support herself," or claims to have "played a role in his success" and is entitled to some of that money, or some other BS claim.

I don't disagree at all that these situations generally err on the side of the ex-wife, especially if kids are involved.
First of all thanks for the honesty and second it was quite refreshing to have dialog with someone I disagreed with but not get nasty about it so thank you and I genuinely do mean that. Absolutely right in one regard that the steel guy hadn't made it yet but the surgeon was a resident and starting on that Six figure salary so kind-of????
Something my wife reminded me of in retelling this thread to her was that with the steel guy was she was 1/2 owner of the company when it was founded and he bought her out in the settlement with a 3rd party fair market valuation (like an arbitrator). That was another point her lawyers brought up was the company was undervalued (the real story was he was mortgaged to the hilt on the expensive equipment he had to buy to weld stuff for nuclear facilities) at that divorce settlement so as his revenue grew so did her needs lol. I believe it was JP Morgan that said when someone asked when he was gonna retire since he was already rich he said something like after my next Billion or the next billion after that. Pretty wealthy is never wealthy enough for some ppl. I think they split the asset 50/50 but that the will take into account judicially or contractually his future income and likely neither one of us will know but I will drag up this old thread if Im right ( I did that today on a Jalen Hurts one cause I was bored lol) and if you were right about Coach O hit me over the head with it I can take it!

First of all thanks for the honesty and second it was quite refreshing to have dialog with someone I disagreed with but not get nasty about it so thank you and I genuinely do mean that. Absolutely right in one regard that the steel guy hadn't made it yet but the surgeon was a resident and starting on that Six figure salary so kind-of????
Something my wife reminded me of in retelling this thread to her was that with the steel guy was she was 1/2 owner of the company when it was founded and he bought her out in the settlement with a 3rd party fair market valuation (like an arbitrator). That was another point her lawyers brought up was the company was undervalued (the real story was he was mortgaged to the hilt on the expensive equipment he had to buy to weld stuff for nuclear facilities) at that divorce settlement so as his revenue grew so did her needs lol. I believe it was JP Morgan that said when someone asked when he was gonna retire since he was already rich he said something like after my next Billion or the next billion after that. Pretty wealthy is never wealthy enough for some ppl. I think they split the asset 50/50 but that the will take into account judicially or contractually his future income and likely neither one of us will know but I will drag up this old thread if Im right ( I did that today on a Jalen Hurts one cause I was bored lol) and if you were right about Coach O hit me over the head with it I can take it!
Have some family experience with thisi one...residents don't make anything, however as soon as they go into practice they'll instantaneously make $200-400k, even more depending on the exact field. They certainly don't live like kings in residency. At the time of their divorce, the doc and his wife probably didn't have much of anything.

Also, unfortunate for the steel fab guy that the ex owned half the company at the time they wanted to get divorced. Much easier for her to claim she was entitled to some of the money from it at that point, even if he bought her out as part of the settlement.

Could there be a prenup involved in the divorce?

Could be, but I would doubt it. He was a position coach around the time they met. They have 3 kids together.

I’ve read this entire thread. I know there is always a discussion about the wife fleecing the husband, and sometimes it may happen. But even wives who don’t work contribute a lot to a marriage, especially the wife of a college coach, who is probably traveling half the time and away from the house even more. Aside from any infedilty accusation, Orgeron’s wife stands to reap from his success now and as it continues, as she was that wife raising 3 kids without him home much. Equitable also doesn’t necessarily mean 50/50. Just an equitable split based on contributions.

When I first started practicing, I probably handled 10-15 divorces, most of which were fairly straight forward. But I didn’t enjoy it. Too much emotion involved, and emotions cloud your judgment.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back