Early View on Next Year

Unimane

Maybe a bit premature, especially considering recruiting is not over, but, here goes:

1. We will not be as good next year, just as a warning. Losing 4 seniors that played and led will be a big issue.

2. Losing Wayne and JP will hurt big time, in particular. Chism, I will miss the most because he was the first to believe in Tennessee under Pearl and was the only left standing from his class. That, and he was a warrior you don't often find. JP is a unique type of player we won't have until Kevin Ware arrives on campus, in my opinion.

3. Bobby will be missed, although Melvin has proven to be the equal of Bobby in many respects. The depth will be missed and bringing in a freshman to work Melvin's role will be difficult (Unless that freshman is Josh Selby, however much a pipe dream that may be).

4. Brian Williams matured more than any player I've ever seen in a two month window. I love the way he got on Scotty for not manning up on a rebound during the second half. He is now a legit low post threat and, more importantly, seems ready to take the senior leadership role from JP and Wayne.

5. Tobias will need to be as good as he's hyped. He's got Wayne's big shoes to fill and is just a freshman.

6. We will be less physical, but more talented next year. Harris brings a different style than Wayne. He's more skilled and fluid, but not as physically imposing. I think this means more of a return to the pressing, full court game of Pearl's other teams. Here's to hoping that Maymon will be an effecive bruiser.

7. Golden and McRae should make us more effective from the perimeter, depending on how much they play.

8. Hopson must grow some balls in the off-season. I believe he lacks a killer instinct, which you can't teach. However, I also think he lacks a certain amount of confidence, which can be gained. He sure as hell has enough talent to be the primary scorer for next year.

9. Renaldo and Scotty must step up significantly next year. I love little Pearl's hustle, but, if he's playing the same amount of minutes on next year's team, we are screwed.

10. Expectations? The SEC East will be tough next year. Florida returns nearly everyone, Vandy only loses Beal and Kentucky will surely have a bushel of WWW-delivered blue chippers (Although, I don't see this year having anyone as good as Wall and Cousins).

The NCAA Tournament should always be an expectation. Advancing, as we've seen here, is totally dependent on match ups. Another Sweet 16 is a good goal for a young, but talented team, who will likely look like the team of Chism's freshman year with their struggles. Then, we'll see what happens there.

Last edited:
Chris Jones graduating during the summer and getting eligible would definitely help out with the PG situation.

Still not sure how likely it is, but he is trying.

Our inside game will take a big hit. We need to get another post for next season

Hopson had balls, he has proven he'll take a final shot.

He is just not that good.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I just realized that Steven Pearl is a redshirt. I have a feeling he will get even more minutes next year. I'm a sad panda.

I honestly think we'll be better. For several reasons.

Losing JP and Wayne will hurt but with Golden, Mcrae (sp), and Harris, I think this team will be just as good. Great talent goes along way in basketball and I think we will have some talent.

I could see a better record, but do you anticipate a deep tourney run. I understand a lot could change.

I think we'll be a better team. Tourney runs are about matchups and toughness. Don't know where that will end up.

Whatever Pearl did to transform Brian Williams into the player he became post-suspension, he needs to do to Hopson in the offseason.
Also wouldn't hurt to have Williams screaming at Hopson a little more.

Last edited:
Hopson won't have to differ to anyone with the seniors that are leaving. Let's see how he plays when he isn't "blocked" by teammates.

I honestly think we'll be better. For several reasons.

Agreed. You guys are losing a few things, but your gaining more, if that makes sense.

It may be bumpy during the non conference schedule, but I think UT fans will be happy with the product that presents itself come tourney time.

Agreed. You guys are losing a few things, but your gaining more, if that makes sense.

It may be bumpy during the non conference schedule, but I think UT fans will be happy with the product that presents itself come tourney time.

We'll see they'll definitely be playing a different style, with more shooters and less size...

Who is the fourth senior that played and led that we are losing?

Bobby, Wayne, JP, and who? Are you saying Cannington played and led or am I forgetting someone?

I think we'll be solid. My major concern is the post. Kenny Hall is going to have to grow up in a major way.

VN Store

Back