Dylan Sampson playing time

BigOrangePaddy

I hope the coaches gameplan to get him a lot of offensive touches against LSU. Would like to see him get a lot more touches, especially in open field.

He has more the most raw electric play making ability to when the ball is in his hands since Kamara and Cordalle Patterson imo . Time to unleash our secret weapon.

Being hurt has not helped his chances of playing. I agree he is our fastest, shifty-est (is this a word?) back. I think part of it is he is probably not ready for the pass blocking just yet, freshmen RB's usually struggle with blocking.

Being hurt has not helped his chances of playing. I agree he is our fastest, shifty-est (is this a word?) back. I think part of it is he is probably not ready for the pass blocking just yet, freshmen RB's usually struggle with blocking.
Jamal Lewis was atrocious.
- Cut prolly

Sampson overtaking Justin Williams on the depth chart was already a big win for him. He gives a little burst that the other backs don't seem to have.

That being said barring injury he still is a true freshmen. Maybe if we get up on LSU it would be a nice time to get him in but carries against Akron, Ball State and even Pitt are different then in conference vs the big boys. Watching how the snaps play out for sure though

Sampson overtaking Justin Williams on the depth chart was already a big win for him. He gives a little burst that the other backs don't seem to have.

That being said barring injury he still is a true freshmen. Maybe if we get up on LSU it would be a nice time to get him in but carries against Akron, Ball State and even Pitt are different then in conference vs the big boys. Watching how the snaps play out for sure though

Pitt is a big boy. They beat way better teams than this LSU squad last year and have a legit dline.

He might not be ready for 3rd and 1 yet either. Remember we don't sub in the hurry up.

He might not be ready for 3rd and 1 yet either. Remember we don't sub in the hurry up.

Good call. Small and Wright always keep their legs pumping and usually get their "plus 2" yards after being wrapped up. This is a learned skill, and requires power and balance more than speed. Sampson is still just a freshman, he has a lot of work to do.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I hope the coaches gameplan to get him a lot of offensive touches against LSU. Would like to see him get a lot more touches, especially in open field.

He has more the most raw electric play making ability to when the ball is in his hands since Kamara and Cordalle Patterson imo . Time to unleash our secret weapon.

his touches will be determined on how much practice reps he is able to get next week. He really needs the full week of reps to get a jump like you want.

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
They are and forgive me if I'm wrong but did Sampson get any touches there? Misworded my statement, I guess my point was if Small+Wright are healthy I don't see the freshmen getting legit run vs the top tier of our schedule.

Whenever a running back is not getting any playing time I just assume that he has not learned how to block yet. Putting in a running back that does not know how to block can get the quarterback killed.

Reactions: walkenvol

When this offense was really cooking last year, Tiyon Evans was in there. The two game stretch of Missouri and South Carolina was when we really thought, “wow…Heupel might have something special on offense.” Evans gave us that RB who didn’t need much of a crease, hit it quickly, and then had the speed to take it the distance. Since Evans basically quit, we haven’t had that RB since. Small/Wright are serviceable, but they don’t give us that dynamic run game threat.

Sampson, I think, will give us that element. It’s just a matter of when he’s ready to play and the coaches feel comfortable with him. I think he’ll be the starter by season’s end…or at least the guy getting the most PT.

Jamal Lewis was atrocious.
- Cut prolly
Lewis was already 6” 230 lbs as a freshman. Sampson ain’t so you gotta be more careful with him as he physically matures in to an SEC body.

When this offense was really cooking last year, Tiyon Evans was in there. The two game stretch of Missouri and South Carolina was when we really thought, “wow…Heupel might have something special on offense.” Evans gave us that RB who didn’t need much of a crease, hit it quickly, and then had the speed to take it the distance. Since Evans basically quit, we haven’t had that RB since. Small/Wright are serviceable, but they don’t give us that dynamic run game threat.

Sampson, I think, will give us that element. It’s just a matter of when he’s ready to play and the coaches feel comfortable with him. I think he’ll be the starter by season’s end…or at least the guy getting the most PT.
Our most important player is Hooker. I’m playing the running backs that best take care of Hooker. Our 2nd & 3rd year rb’s are still missing some blocks so I imagine it’s not a quickly learned skill. Unless Sampson can be effective in pass blocking then I don’t want him playing with Hooker at qb.

VN Store

Back