Dylan Sampson playing time

There was a play in the LSU game that I think probably tells us why Sampson hasn't played much yet (outside of the injury from Akron of course). Hooker was looking down field and there was an unblocked lineman and/or LB that came in and rocked him. The hit knocked the ball out of Hooker's hands and Sampson picked up the ball thankfully and made some yards but I'm pretty sure he missed his blocking assignment? Curious if anyone else caught that or if I'm wrong about that being his assignment.

There was a play in the LSU game that I think probably tells us why Sampson hasn't played much yet (outside of the injury from Akron of course). Hooker was looking down field and there was an unblocked lineman and/or LB that came in and rocked him. The hit knocked the ball out of Hooker's hands and Sampson picked up the ball thankfully and made some yards but I'm pretty sure he missed his blocking assignment? Curious if anyone else caught that or if I'm wrong about that being his assignment.
it’s been commented on quite a bit. Sampson ain’t ready to take on a larger role yet. Besides, Small and Wright looked perfectly capable of delivering. Hell I’d even say that Wright ran like a legit SEC back on Saturday. He was fast and breaking tackles. Just needs to secure the ball better.

Our most important player is Hooker. I’m playing the running backs that best take care of Hooker. Our 2nd & 3rd year rb’s are still missing some blocks so I imagine it’s not a quickly learned skill. Unless Sampson can be effective in pass blocking then I don’t want him playing with Hooker at qb.

As I've said a few times, I understand the pass pro concerns, but when I typed this, Small was as bad as anyone. He missed at least 4 pickups against Florida and Hooker bailed him out on at least 3. But he seemed to do better against LSU.

Point is, Hooker not being protected by a junior isn't better than Hooker not being protected by a freshman.

Been talked about and discussed and yes until he knows blocking assignments he should not play against SEC teams. The hit he allowed on ahooler could have changed our season and more importantly Hooker's career
Mark Levine endorses this post

Yeah it was an outside guy, CB I believe, and Sampson didn’t pick him up. If it had been a lb or DE, Joe Milton would be starting this week.

Mark Levine endorses this post
LOL!!!!

That was a good one. I will say though that if Sampson was 6' 235 lbs of pure muscle running a 4.4 I'd agree with you, but he ain't. I think he's good and may be very good by the end of the year, but he's no Jamal Lewis.

You're 100% correct.

Sampson has missed quite a few blocks.

VN Store

Back