During Fulmer's interview that dude got hit!

I wonder if it was going to be a pass to the TE, but the DE came on the outside? but with Crouch already committed to the RB causing that to happen. or may the center or guard should have jumped off the double team?

You had two different set of Olinemen double team, which opened the middle. Bad scheme. Nothing special about crouch’s play. Kudos to him for seeing it. Just down hill through a massive gap. Center should have taken the LB.
I find that many of the fun defensive plays are a result of breakdowns or not seeing a defender. Interceptions, holes in the line, whatever.

But I believe the thread title was "dude got hit". I see nothing in your post that changes or refutes that.

Reactions: Behr
I find that many of the fun defensive plays are a result of breakdowns or not seeing a defender. Interceptions, holes in the line, whatever.

But I believe the thread title was "dude got hit". I see nothing in your post that changes or refutes that.
Yep. Nice to have a guy that read it, and blew it the eff up like you're supposed to...

When opportunities present.. Make a freaking play!!

I don't remember who the running back was but during the interview with Fulmer, Crouch blasted some one and speared them off of there feet I'm surprised no one mentioned it. He looks like he can wear the # 27.

That’s what happens when you come completely untouched to the point of handoff. He better of blasted Banks..... he literally had a full head of steam..... basic laws of physics.

It was a good hit though.

Don’t understand why with a 5 man front blocking a 4 man front we double teamed two guys? Opening up a clear hole for crouch. Bad play by the offensive lineman.

It's either coaching or player understanding/retention I suppose. Doesn't matter I guess because it's what we've been seeing over and over again from our OL. At some point, one has to wonder if what we're attempting to do and teach is going to work? I'm not trying to disparage the players, but it's pretty clear they just aren't getting what the coaches are trying to teach. Maybe it's better to just simplify this super, duper master zone blocking scheme that Friend is going with? Dumb it down. Simplify. Save a QB/RB.

Gotta wonder if Pruitt let his relationship with Friend color his thinking about the job the guy is doing? Hope he made the right call, but another dismal year of OL line play would certainly be a concern. After last season, I'd have considered Friend as good as gone. Quite the surprise to see Pruitt retain him.

It's either coaching or player understanding/retention I suppose. Doesn't matter I guess because it's what we've been seeing over and over again from our OL. At some point, one has to wonder if what we're attempting to do and teach is going to work? I'm not trying to disparage the players, but it's pretty clear they just aren't getting what the coaches are trying to teach. Maybe it's better to just simplify this super, duper master zone blocking scheme that Friend is going with? Dumb it down. Simplify. Save a QB/RB.

Gotta wonder if Pruitt let his relationship with Friend color his thinking about the job the guy is doing? Hope he made the right call, but another dismal year of OL line play would certainly be a concern. After last season, I'd have considered Friend as good as gone. Quite the surprise to see Pruitt retain him.
Maybe Pruitt is taking into consideration the state of the team last year, which was pretty much the "fault" of the previous coach. Just maybe.

I think the blocking scheme may have been intentional. Consider other bits of evidence:

-- Left tackle contributed to a double-team block, leaving the backside lineman, #55 (DE Gatkek Kueth?), free.
-- Quick snap, quick handoff, nicely opened hole between RG and RT.

It appears that the concept of the play design was for the RB to hit that hole before the unblocked defenders could get to him from the offside or the secondary. Unfortunately for the offence, Crouch recognized, reacted, and came through hella fast, blowing up what might otherwise have been a nice run.

So from that perspective, the RB needed to get his wheels moving quicker than he did for the play to work.

It's a team sport--rarely just one guy or one position group at fault, usually a combination of several pieces that just aren't quite clicking.

The really bad news is, if this IS the way the play was designed, it will likely never work in the SEC. Not only are there plenty of LBs with the speed of Crouch around the league, there are also defensive ends a heck of a lot faster than Mr. Kueth who could also have gotten to Banks before he left the backfield.

So I agree with all who said: bad blocking scheme. Either as drawn up, or as executed. Or both. But on top of that, let's get a little more urgency, Mr. Banks.

Maybe Pruitt is taking into consideration the state of the team last year, which was pretty much the "fault" of the previous coach. Just maybe.

That's why this year will tell us a lot about Friend IMO. This is the second year under his hand. He gets his center back. Everyone but Smith will be available and experienced in the system. This should be a year that we see marked improvement in the OL. They should at least know who to block and get a hat on 'em. Slow 'em down a bit. If we still look like a Chinese fire drill...well...

VN Store

Back