Dump Bama

airvols

If the conference is expanding, we need to dump Alabama as an annual opponent. I know you traditionalist will give all kinds of reasons not to do this, but it’s a new world. I’m not talking about running away I’m talking about being smart. They would rotate on the schedule anyway, so make this about Tennessee, not about tradition.

In 1992 for some reason I imagined it was gonna be us vs Bama every year in the SECCG. Worried it would take away from the appeal and mystic of the third Saturday in October.
I couldn’t have been more wrong, never faced them once in the 29 years.

If the conference is expanding, we need to dump Alabama as an annual opponent. I know you traditionalist will give all kinds of reasons not to do this, but it’s a new world. I’m not talking about running away I’m talking about being smart. They would rotate on the schedule anyway, so make this about Tennessee, not about tradition.
Let's dump AL, FL, and GA...... if you want to "make this about Tennessee" and, I'm assuming, fewer losses.

What's the "about Tennessee" in dumping Bama?

Wait, wait,...did I say wait? With the advent of NIL, we can all do what Bama (I'm thinking I just sharted a little saying that obnoxious lowbrow name) has done for many years? Isn't that a potentially good thing? We can now pay players!!

In 1992 for some reason I imagined it was gonna be us vs Bama every year in the SECCG. Worried it would take away from the appeal and mystic of the third Saturday in October.
I couldn’t have been more wrong, never faced them once in the 29 years.

Same here (except for worrying that the Third Saturday in October would lose its mystique -- I thought we'd just have a faster track to evening the series). We had been SEC Champions two of the previous three years. I attributed the Florida loss the year before to the Kinko's incident, as we had embarrassed them in Knoxville the year before that (and would beat them again soundly in '92). One wonders what might have been had we just beaten Arkansas or South Carolina . . .

What is most likely to happen is that the East picks up both Bama and Auburn, and Missouri, Texas and Oklahoma fight it out in the West. Missou and Oklahoma rivalry becomes huge again, because Eli will have that team competing with the big boys. So, that is good they move out of the West. Then every East team also has to play Bama every year, so that helps Tennessee.

Last edited:
That's right. If bammer moves into the East, then the other teams in the East will have to play them evey year just like we do. So our loss to bammer would not hurt us in the East race, if the other teams also have that loss. Right? First thing we do is start beating Scar and KY on the regular, while going toe to toe with the others and taking our share, again.

Nick Saban will eventually give it up, he is 69 years old. Many of you guys don’t remember how many times it took for bama to get the right guy as head coach before they hired Saban. When Saban retires they will return to being very beatable.

Nick Saban will eventually give it up, he is 69 years old. Many of you guys don’t remember how many times it took for bama to get the right guy as head coach before they hired Saban. When Saban retires they will return to being very beatable.
I strongly doubt it. They’ve turned into a full blown dynasty they’ll spend whatever it takes to get a worthy successor, and they’ll continue to buy the best players money can get.

VN Store

Back