Duke blaming referees! Lol

Trust me, they are alone in their complaints and it is only the radical version of their fans (similar to some of our VolsNation posters)

Most neutral boards that I saw yesterday were talking about how Roach should have fouled out.

Could not replay that what was the justification for changing that call? Earlier contact?

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Could not replay that what was the justification for changing that call? Earlier contact?
Proctor reached in earlier in the play, but Roach's contact was more obvious and egregious. They let similar contact to Proctor's slide most of the game.

Seth Greenberg just said it was the worst officiated game he's ever seen. Must not have watched any SEC games this season. Bilas crying too.

Someone needs to check Greenberg & Bilas bank accounts tomorrow. Gotta love Bilas and his blue lips.

The Duke players and coaches did not blame the officials. Unless I missed it somewhere (and that’s certainly possible) EVERYONE from the coach to the players credited the Vols. Of course SOME fans will blame the officiating. I think we at Volnation have a tad bit of that virus in us as well. As far as ESPN blaming bad officiating…they get paid to SAY SOMETHING…ANYTHING. It simply has ZERO to do with this game or the next one. CLEARLY…it’s a business and having been in broadcasting years ago…I remember the number one taboo…DEAD AIR TIME…so there’s a lot of time to say something ignorant. JMO.

Add one more bit of quality journalism. This from David Cobb who works for "Your Host, CBS Sports"

"Filipowski was receiving medical attention on the bench for a bleeding wound under his eye following a shot to the face during the battle for a rebound."

Questions for Mr. Cobb regarding the specific words I made red and bold:
1 - Did you intend to make that contact sound deliberate and violent?
2 - Would you and others have written about Coach K's "brilliant strategy" if he had his team play physical and won the game?
3 - Shouldn't you reserve the word "shot" when writing about the "off court physical play" of bama players and trivialized by Coach Nate Oats & their AD?

And 7 threads on firing Barnes and Barnes being past his prime.
Yes, I hate those. But, truthfully, I’m on Cats Illustrated in Rupps Rafters fueling the “far Cal” followers. Been pretty successful for a long time and have gained some traction. That’s the reason I don’t even get on these threads on Volnation. I love Barnes!

I apparently have a different definition of "dirty" than these talking heads. Dirty is Grayson Allen tripping people on purpose or Draymond Green kicking people in the groin. Hard fouls are not dirty fouls. Uros gave out hard fouls.

Reactions: Voltopia
Add one more bit of quality journalism. This from David Cobb who works for "Your Host, CBS Sports"

"Filipowski was receiving medical attention on the bench for a bleeding wound under his eye following a shot to the face during the battle for a rebound."

Questions for Mr. Cobb regarding the specific words I made red and bold:
1 - Did you intend to make that contact sound deliberate and violent?
2 - Would you and others have written about Coach K's "brilliant strategy" if he had his team play physical and won the game?
3 - Shouldn't you reserve the word "shot" when writing about the "off court physical play" of bama players and trivialized by Coach Nate Oats & their AD?

David Cobb is a UT grad. He’s on local Memphis radio regularly. Even though he’s now at CBS, he generally likes when UT is successful.

Any fan base that made excuses for Grayson Allen should shut up about rough/dirty play. He was the dirtiest player I've ever seen in college!!! BTW, Tennessee did not play dirty!!!

It’s pretty simple. If refs call games tight then Vescovi should have lots of good looks without defenders hanging all over him. If refs don’t call it tight then TN is opening up a can of whoop ass.

TN has trouble when refs call lots of touch fouls except on the defenders that are clutching and grabbing our perimeter players instead of allowing them to have freedom of movement.

If refs let it be rough in the paint and call the grabbing of perimeter players then TN can beat anybody in the country.

Last edited:
Reactions: sechamp2012
Well they called 5 until they went back and realized that would hurt duke…
That call had me cussing a blue streak. Just when I thought I’d seen everything, that call on the guy that wasn’t Roach was so asinine and obviously not based on what actually happened that I think (once again) that we need computers instead of humans officiating.

The eye cut on flop king was actually a foul on him. He got under Jonas and didn't give him room to land. Then he hit his elbow, which could've jarred the ball loose. It doesn't matter that his face is what hit the elbow. It should have still been a foul on him. Them reviewing it and saying it was a clean basketball play was wrong.

The eye cut on flop king was actually a foul on him. He got under Jonas and didn't give him room to land. Then he hit his elbow, which could've jarred the ball loose. It doesn't matter that his face is what hit the elbow. It should have still been a foul on him. Them reviewing it and saying it was a clean basketball play was wrong.
That was inadvertent contact while both players were going for the rebound. Correct no call IMO

That was inadvertent contact while both players were going for the rebound. Correct no call IMO

The only way contact can be incidental in basketball is if it doesn't hinder someone from participating in normal offensive or defensive movements. If it does, the person who is hindering gets the foul. He got into Jonas and kept him from making his move through his own space with the rebound in a normal fashion. So it should have been a foul on him imo.

VN Store

Back