Drew Out For Today's Game....

This just feels like something that was inevitable with Drew. He's got a reputation for being intense and for wearing his emotions on his sleeve. It works for him, but it seems like he was destined to finally go too far. It sucks for the team, but Drew is the one who let them down. As hard as this is, maybe it's what he needs to learn -- and the rest of the team can learn from it, too.

I finally just rewatched the inning the ejections took place, and I almost wish I hadn't. šŸ˜« My day-after take is that Drew wants to think he's all grown and tough, spewing those grown-up bad words at the actual grown man behind the plate, and then when he is introduced to the grown-up consequences of acting like that, he stood there like a toddler, his jaw literally hanging open for what seemed like an eternity.

If you're going to mix it up with the grown folk, be ready to be treated like one. Don't stand there, mouth agape, looking like a petulant child. I'll never watch that particular game again! Dang. šŸ˜«

I finally just rewatched the inning the ejections took place, and I almost wish I hadn't. šŸ˜« My day-after take is that Drew wants to think he's all grown and tough, spewing those grown-up bad words at the actual grown man behind the plate, and then when he is introduced to the grown-up consequences of acting like that, he stood there like a toddler, his jaw literally hanging open for what seemed like an eternity.

If you're going to mix it up with the grown folk, be ready to be treated like one. Don't stand there, mouth agape, looking like a petulant child. I'll never watch that particular game again! Dang. šŸ˜«

They were thousands that died for your country that were younger than him so you could get on here and question his manhood!

Did not know that, if he did do it I have no problem with the ejection. Record the warning.
I have no problem with the ejection, I have a problem with how it was done if a warning was not rendered. Not knowing the back story makes for a lot of the speculation.

Gilbert said more than a mouthful.. You talk to somebody like that at a bar and they will punch your lights out.

A lot of tension in this game. His Hit by pitch in the previous at bat was a carry over of that frustration I do believe.

All this just shows you the frustration of the Game and the influence of officiating.
I have been watching the NBA and wow I have never seen so much Whining and Complaining and in your face on calls. I don't normally watch but officiating a NBA basketball game must be brutal. It's not like they are Stating "Your Mother swims after Troop Ships" it is brutal on those officials they must take drugs before games.
I donā€™t watch NBA much either but I did hear a discussion recently (maybe a radio show ā€¦donā€™t recall) that the NBA would be discussing the constant complaining by players. It was described as ā€œunbelievableā€and ā€œway over the topā€ how prevalent it has become. I donā€™t watch so I wouldnā€™t know.

I donā€™t watch NBA much either but I did hear a discussion recently (maybe a radio show ā€¦donā€™t recall) that the NBA would be discussing the constant complaining by players. It was described as ā€œunbelievableā€and ā€œway over the topā€ how prevalent it has become. I donā€™t watch so I wouldnā€™t know.
I have followed & Watched the Boston Celtics During the Playoffs. Reason Grant Williams they have had him Miked Up for several Games which has been Great.
Last time I followed NBA ball was Jordan Era but when I started watching the playoffs it was like WOW. It is Combat. Those officals must take downers to deal with all the Crap and Complaining.

They were thousands that died for your country that were younger than him so you could get on here and question his manhood!
Since WW2 theyā€™ve died for politicians not the country. I know itā€™s not the place, but I canā€™t stand how we console ourselves by saying it ā€œwas for the ā€œcountryā€. Too many lives wasted. God rest their souls

Not taking sides but the ump did say he called Gilbert to the side earlier about his complaining balls and strike from CF. Said Gilbert agreed, and said he just gets emotional sometimes. I donā€™t know if that qualifies as an official warning or not. I agree. The calls were bad and I agree DG must learn somehow to harness that emotion into a positive thing. Sometimes the umps will tolerate arguing strikes and balls longer than at other times. I do hate that an umpire became part of the narrative which should never ever happen.
Yeah, Iā€™m not going to blindly trust the ump trying to paint himself in his own light. He was seen with that goofy smirk on his face when Tony V was trying to get to the bottom of everything. Probably a case of another guy that rode the bench in high school becoming an ump

Yeah, Iā€™m not going to blindly trust the ump trying to paint himself in his own light. He was seen with that goofy smirk on his face when Tony V was trying to get to the bottom of everything. Probably a case of another guy that rode the bench in high school becoming an ump
šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ Maybe so 1980ā€¦I do have a good friend who just retired last year from umping the SEC and heā€™s one of the most impressive, calm, delightful people Iā€™ve ever known. I do have fun with him asking if he ever missed those calls like weā€™ve seen latelyā€¦he always answers the same way ā€œI DONā€™T MISS CALLSā€ with a calm little smile on his face. He was a great ump though.

Lindsey Nelson is going to explode tomorrow when Tennessee announces Drew Gilbert!![/QUOTE]

AGREEEEEEDDDDD!!! WE need to send some thank you flowers to that home plate ump for giving us monumental motivation for tomorrow. Vols win by 6. Thank you Mr. Ump for punching our ticket to Omaha!!!

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
IMO you canā€™t have players cussing umpires and bi____ aboutcalls, etc.. The umpires will lose control and the game will become chaotic.

In the early 1900s there was a pretty good MLB pitcher that was deaf (Dummy Taylor). He got mad at the umpireā€™s calls but realized he would be ejected if he used an obscene gesture toward the umpire. So he thought he would be smart and cussed out the umpire in the deaf sign language. He was surprised the umpire then ejected him. Taylor didnā€™t know the umpire had a deaf parent and could read sign.

Last edited:
Did not know that, if he did do it I have no problem with the ejection. Record the warning.
I have no problem with the ejection, I have a problem with how it was done if a warning was not rendered. Not knowing the back story makes for a lot of the speculation.

Gilbert said more than a mouthful.. You talk to somebody like that at a bar and they will punch your lights out.

A lot of tension in this game. His Hit by pitch in the previous at bat was a carry over of that frustration I do believe.

All this just shows you the frustration of the Game and the influence of officiating.
I have been watching the NBA and wow I have never seen so much Whining and Complaining and in your face on calls. I don't normally watch but officiating a NBA basketball game must be brutal. It's not like they are Stating "Your Mother swims after Troop Ships" it is brutal on those officials they must take drugs before games.
I am of the opinion that refs/umps need to be replaced with bots. The technology is there and surely the money is to. With baseball it would be the easiest but alas the umps have successfully fought it off. It probably wonā€™t work for the NBA as the action is too continuous and the definition of a foul (or traveling!) is fluid. As someone who played a lot in the 70s I still think the definition of a foul is clear, but today it all depends on ā€œthe flow/importance of the game and the status of the player (Jordan Rule). Iā€™m just sick of bad calls - even upon review - by a human official. Bring on the Bots!

IMO you canā€™t have players cussing umpires and bi____ aboutcalls, etc.. The umpires will lose control and the game will become chaotic.

In the early 1900s there was a pretty good MLB pitcher that was deaf (Dummy Taylor). He got mad at the umpireā€™s calls but realized he would be ejected if he used an obscene gesture toward the umpire. So he thought he would be smart and cussed out the umpire in the deaf sign language. He was surprised the umpire then ejected him. Taylor didnā€™t know the umpire had a deaf parent and could read sign.
Thatā€™s amazing

Our players play with an edge and sometimes they go too far. Thereā€™s a fine line they walk. The way they play has led to being the #1 team in the country and most of the time people whine about class is after they just got beat and Iā€™d rather the Vols get critiqued after a win for being classless than commended for playing the right way after losing. The best teams and players play with an edge and maintain classiness. So, you donā€™t want to take that from them, but these boys need to better learn the balance between having an edge and playing with confidence and some of the classless, or perhaps just less desirable, actions they have displayed.

Reactions: illvol
Shouldnā€™t have opened his mouth!
If umpire calls the correct call by the rule book then he doesn't open his mouth. So you are saying if someone wrongs you you should be a lil kitty and not say anything. You must be one that wants everyone to have a participant trophy

VN Store

Back