Drew Out For Today's Game....

MiramarVol

Sanctified Vol
Drew Gilbert, one of the best players on the Tennessee Volunteers and a well-regarded outfield prospect in Major League Baseball's upcoming amateur draft, will be suspended for Saturday's super regional game against the Notre Dame Fighting Irish after he was ejected from Friday night's contest for unsportsmanlike conduct toward an umpire. (Joe Rexrode of The Athletic confirmed as much with the university's athletic department.)

Gilbert's ejection occurred during the bottom of the fifth inning and with the Volunteers trailing the Fighting Irish 8-2. He took a 1-0 fastball that appeared to miss the zone low, yet the umpire called it a strike. Gilbert expressed his frustration by stepping toward the umpire and making what appeared to be a profane comment. Here's the latter part of the sequence as it played out on the ESPN broadcast:

Yeah getting ejected fine, but suspending him for the following game is extreme.

Reminds of the targeting rule. While we can argue whether something is targeting or not and the merits, I never understood why they were suspended the rest of the game and/or the first half the next game when it wasn't malicious.

Seems like ejection is plenty enough punishment in a case like this.

Reminds of the targeting rule. While we can argue whether something is targeting or not and the merits, I never understood why they were suspended the rest of the game and/or the first half the next game when it wasn't malicious.

Agree, getting ejected from a game is enough of an incentive to avoid targeting on purpose. Nobody targets on purpose, it just happens sometimes. And after yesterday, I’d be willing to bet Gilbert wouldn’t run his mouth after a call he disagrees with.

Agreed. Ump made his point with the ejection. I could understand a suspension for getting physical, but for cursing? Lol ridiculous.

I seriously doubt the umpire was from a Power Five Conference, probably some smaller conference hack that was in way over his head, not only on calling balls and strikes, but was not comfortable in this type of atmosphere and wasn't capable of managing his own emotions in an ultracompetitive contest, the sooner the SEC and the other Power Conferences can distance themselves from the NCAA dog and pony show, the better off the top tier programs will be, but until then shi7z like this will happen . . . . . forward progress had been stopped but no whistle?

I seriously doubt the umpire was from a Power Five Conference, probably some smaller conference hack that was in way over his head, not only on calling balls and strikes, but was not comfortable in this type of atmosphere and wasn't capable of managing his own emotions in an ultracompetitive contest, the sooner the SEC and the other Power Conferences can distance themselves from the NCAA dog and pony show, the better off the top tier programs will be, but until then shi7z like this will happen . . . . . forward progress had been stopped but no whistle?
Believe they said mountain west last night but I could be wrong

Unbelievable, altering the tournament because a player got carried away and said a couple of bad words.
Rules were in place before his outburst. It's not like they came up with that just to punish Gilbert. He has to accept the responsibility for his actions.

Last edited:
Baseball has a few rules that need to be updated unfortunately.
I agree

Just like Football, it will be addressed in the off season.
I would hope it will be a Warning and then ejection.
I would hope it would be a game ejection, and a player as in Gilbert's situation be able to enter the game in the 5th inning of the next game. A cumulative ejection not a following game suspension but whole game ejection that carries over like football. Thus Gilbert enters today's game in 5th Inning.
A recorded warning with game stopped and recorded that carries over through the series.

I agree

Just like Football, it will be addressed in the off season.
I would hope it will be a Warning and then ejection.
I would hope it would be a game ejection, and a player as in Gilbert's situation be able to enter the game in the 5th inning of the next game. A cumulative ejection not a following game suspension but whole game ejection that carries over like football. Thus Gilbert enters today's game in 5th Inning.
A recorded warning with game stopped and recorded that carries over through the series.
Not taking sides but the ump did say he called Gilbert to the side earlier about his complaining balls and strike from CF. Said Gilbert agreed, and said he just gets emotional sometimes. I don’t know if that qualifies as an official warning or not. I agree. The calls were bad and I agree DG must learn somehow to harness that emotion into a positive thing. Sometimes the umps will tolerate arguing strikes and balls longer than at other times. I do hate that an umpire became part of the narrative which should never ever happen.

Not taking sides but the ump did say he called Gilbert to the side earlier about his complaining balls and strike from CF. Said Gilbert agreed, and said he just gets emotional sometimes. I don’t know if that qualifies as an official warning or not. I agree. The calls were bad and I agree DG must learn somehow to harness that emotion into a positive thing. Sometimes the umps will tolerate arguing strikes and balls longer than at other times. I do hate that an umpire became part of the narrative which should never ever happen.
Did not know that, if he did do it I have no problem with the ejection. Record the warning.
I have no problem with the ejection, I have a problem with how it was done if a warning was not rendered. Not knowing the back story makes for a lot of the speculation.

Gilbert said more than a mouthful.. You talk to somebody like that at a bar and they will punch your lights out.

A lot of tension in this game. His Hit by pitch in the previous at bat was a carry over of that frustration I do believe.

All this just shows you the frustration of the Game and the influence of officiating.
I have been watching the NBA and wow I have never seen so much Whining and Complaining and in your face on calls. I don't normally watch but officiating a NBA basketball game must be brutal. It's not like they are Stating "Your Mother swims after Troop Ships" it is brutal on those officials they must take drugs before games.

Drew’s return Sunday will be sweet and epic.

e1e.gif

If a pitcher gets ejected I think it is for 3 games.
I guess the rule is written that way to prevent someone going off in the 8th or 9th inning when the game is basically over. I agree with one of the posters above that it probably should be modified so that if you are ejected in say the 5th inning, you can come back in the 6th inning of the next game.

The one that got me was the hit by pitch that was ruled to be Gilberts fault. How the heck do you hit a ball without extending you arms? On the replay you see him start his swing, stop, then get hit by pitch. That is the kinda thing that all the "legal" gambling brings in. It was an easy call called wrong.

This just feels like something that was inevitable with Drew. He's got a reputation for being intense and for wearing his emotions on his sleeve. It works for him, but it seems like he was destined to finally go too far. It sucks for the team, but Drew is the one who let them down. As hard as this is, maybe it's what he needs to learn -- and the rest of the team can learn from it, too.

They take advantage of a rule by tossing kids for being upset. It was quick and he shouldn’t have to pay a price for calling it what it was. There’s no punishment for the Umps so why the kids?

Reactions: kptvol1452

VN Store

Back