Draft Gems: UT's Ainge could be a bargain pick

What if Ainge landed on a team like Minnesota?

Solid offensive line, a running game that cant be slowed; even crowding the box with 8 or 9 players it cant be stopped, & a good defense.

He's dome-shy, it'll never work.

If Ainge somehow lucks out and ends up on a team with a great offensive line, then he has a chance of actually making a Pro Bowl one day. If not...

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of guys playing in Canada, the Arena League, and selling insurance who certainly envy Ken Dorsey's career.

Obviously, the money is different. Not arguing that. So lets make that clear, again.

But in terms of football legacies, being a starter in the Arena League/CFL is no worse than being a bench warmer in the NFL that has thrown 1 pass or less in 3 of 5 seasons on 2 different teams (Ken Dorsey). Drew Stanton or Erik Ainge will probably have shorter encyclopedia entries than Major Harris and Brick from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" when it comes to their football careers. The only thing that saves Ken Dorsey from football anonymity/irrlelevence is his career in college.

Obviously, the money is different. Not arguing that. So lets make that clear, again.

But in terms of football legacies, being a starter in the Arena League/CFL is no worse than being a bench warmer in the NFL that has thrown 1 pass or less in 3 of 5 seasons on 2 different teams (Ken Dorsey). Drew Stanton or Erik Ainge will probably have shorter encyclopedia entries than Major Harris and Brick from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" when it comes to their football careers. The only thing that saves Ken Dorsey from football anonymity/irrlelevence is his career in college.
That's utterly absurd. Claiming starting in the AFL or CFL is the same as riding the bench is akin to saying being a regular with the Tennessee Smokies or the Louisville Bats is the equivalent of being on the New York Yankee roster.

Jason Garrett begged Jerry Jones in the mid-90s to trade him to the Nashville Kats, straight up, for Andy Kelly. He wanted to leave a legacy, something he knew he would never attain winning multiple Super Bowls as a lousy backup QB.

Jason Garrett begged Jerry Jones in the mid-90s to trade him to the Nashville Kats, straight up, for Andy Kelly. He wanted to leave a legacy, something he knew he would never attain winning multiple Super Bowls as a lousy backup QB.

:blink:

That's utterly absurd. Claiming starting in the AFL or CFL is the same as riding the bench is akin to saying being a regular with the Tennessee Smokies or the Louisville Bats is the equivalent of being on the New York Yankee roster.

the NFL pension plan just by itself is worth enough money to want to be in the NFL long term as a backup over the arena league or cfl as a starter.

the NFL pension plan just by itself is worth enough money to want to be in the NFL long term as a backup over the arena league or cfl as a starter.

Plus, you don't get Jessica Simpson-types strolling around Orlando Predators games, now do you?

I've always thought of Trent as being pretty tough, no brett farve, but tough. I dont see Ainge as tough or being able to stand up to and NFL lb blitz.

I agree with you.

But just look at what Dilfer did. He managed games so the defense could win it. 3 step drops and quick timing routes. Nothing huge downfield.

I just had a terrible thought. Ainge getting drafted late by the Cowboys... :no: :no:

That guy would tarnish the legacy of the league's greatest franchise.
:banghead2: :banghead2:

I just had a terrible thought. Ainge getting drafted late by the Cowboys... :no: :no:

How much damage could he possibly do to a franchise that hasn't won a playoff game since 1996?

Just for you Rasputin... Ainge was recently on a visit to Dallas and word down here is he could be a good pick up in the 5th round.

when everyone's healthy, and they have a running game, Jake D is a serviceable qb, and can peform at a higher level when everything is clicking.....put him on a team where he's the only guy, and he flames out fast.
Anybody will. Put Brady or Manning on the Raiders or Texans, and they will suck too. It is 110% impossible for a quarterback to succeed on any level in the NFL as a starter if he does not have help around him.

and give any qb a more than productive running game and they will be better.....the above average qb is a rarity, by that i mean the one that can win the game based solely on his play alone. those guys are few and far between. and ainge isn't one of them, and there's no crime in that.
And on the other side of the coin...

Plus, you don't get Jessica Simpson-types strolling around Orlando Predators games, now do you?
Give it a couple years. Either Simpson goes D-list, or Romo is playing Arena league.

How much damage could he possibly do to a franchise that hasn't won a playoff game since 1996?
Shaddup. Leave the Dallas bashing to me. :no:

All in all, I agree with what most have said on here... Put Ainge in a good franchise, and he is either merely a serviceable QB or a solid back-up. If he ends up playing for a crappy team, then his stay in the NFL will be short.

That said, there's another tale to tell of another Oregon-produced QB by the name of Derek Anderson. I used to watch this guy regularly at Oregon State games, and few QB's had given me bigger headaches. He was damned lucky to have Steven Jackson in the backfield. Like Ainge, Anderson was large, could make all the NFL throws and showed flashes of brilliance. Also like Ainge, he made some bone-headed throws and sometimes showed a lack of "testicular fortitude." I never thought the guy would pan out in the NFL... And you see what happened.

VN Store

Back