Draft Gems: UT's Ainge could be a bargain pick

06 we did it more than 07, and i've said this and said this........you can point to the WR position as a reason why. last year we simply didn't have anyone on the field that could stretch it, so the pattersn were designed underneath, curls, comebacks etc....that allowed for more possesion type offense, allowed the O Line to hold their blocks for less time and made the offense efficient, just not real exciting.

i think the comparision to Dilfer is fair, he can be serviceable in the NFL, but i don't know that he'll ever be a qb that can put the team on his shoulders and lead them to big time success. he can be a cog in the machine, where the sum of the parts = something good, kind of like Jake Delhomme when everyone's healthy, and they have a running game, Jake D is a serviceable qb, and can peform at a higher level when everything is clicking.....put him on a team where he's the only guy, and he flames out fast.

I think you hit the nail on the head. A comparison to Delhomme seems pretty accurate. When Ainge was throwing to Meacham and had other weapons he was much better. On a team without playmakers and only possession type receivers he didn't perform as well.

and give any qb a more than productive running game and they will be better.....the above average qb is a rarity, by that i mean the one that can win the game based solely on his play alone. those guys are few and far between. and ainge isn't one of them, and there's no crime in that.

and give any qb a more than productive running game and they will be better.....the above average qb is a rarity, by that i mean the one that can win the game based solely on his play alone. those guys are few and far between. and ainge isn't one of them, and there's no crime in that.

I honestly don't know that any QB in the SEC can really do it on his own. Just too much talent on the other side of the ball week in and week out. Sure, some of them are the linchpin or make enormous contributions. But give a guy minimal protection, no receivers, and no running game and he's just going to look average, whatever his talent level.

I honestly don't know that any QB in the SEC can really do it on his own. Just too much talent on the other side of the ball week in and week out. Sure, some of them are the linchpin or make enormous contributions. But give a guy minimal protection, no receivers, and no running game and he's just going to look average, whatever his talent level.
well there's one guy in the SEC that can....and his name is tim tebow. he's the only qb in the SEC that can realistically put his team on his back and win. and that's still a tall order as evidenced by last year's results.

Where did that come from? I haven't seen anybody even slightly bash him in this thread.

Comparing him to Trent Dilfer isn't a shot at Ainge. It's just recognizing that he's probably never going to be a guy who will singlehandedly win football games, but can do alright managing an offense.

Third or fourth post says something about testicular fortitude; I would call that a bash.

well there's one guy in the SEC that can....and his name is tim tebow. he's the only qb in the SEC that can realistically put his team on his back and win. and that's still a tall order as evidenced by last year's results.

And that's my point. He couldn't get it done against a stout defense with Auburn and LSU and he was a bit hurt and UGA's offense played great such that he couldn't will his team to victory then, either.

The reality of it is that if you took what to us average fans looks like a marginal QB and put him on a squad where he has plenty of time and some weapons, suddenly he may look like a world-beater. By the same token, take a guy surrounded with that talent and put him in a system without it and you may wonder if he got bonked on the head or something.

i agree LG, i'm just saying of the qb's currently in the SEC, tebow is the one that has that ability. and getting in to the NFL discussion out of 32 teams there are now maybe 4 qb's in the league that qualify for that distinction...and really it's only two......

i agree LG, i'm just saying of the qb's currently in the SEC, tebow is the one that has that ability. and getting in to the NFL discussion out of 32 teams there are now maybe 4 qb's in the league that qualify for that distinction...and really it's only two......

Oh, I agree with you there.

I have a buddy who is a Dolphins fan who said he would swallow his FSU pride if Tebow would have come out this year.

if he makes a squad he will make minimum of what $400k per year for 5-10 years...yeah he will be real upset.
who on here wouldnt carry a clipboard for that.

unreal people have to bash him....say thanks for his time..
why dont more people support the vols that are "vols fans" vs down them every chance they get.

No one bashed Ainge at all.

And I think he will be an OK NFL player- I could see him being a sort of Kerry Collins, in fact.

Dilfer won a super bowl.

Dilfer managed games and wasn't going to go out and beat anyone on his arm alone. That was the point.

He rode one of the greatest defenses the NFL has ever seen and Jamal Lewis to a Super Bowl.

Ainge = poor man's Ken Dorsey

Dorsey has started several NFL games is currently preparing for his sixth year in the league. I think Erik would be pretty happy with that future. Now, please admonish others for criticizing Chris Lofton's defensive shortcomings and continue to claim that you have let go of your ire for Erik Ainge.

Dorsey has started several NFL games is currently preparing for his sixth year in the league. I think Erik would be pretty happy with that future. Now, please admonish others for criticizing Chris Lofton's defensive shortcomings and continue to claim that you have let go of your ire for Erik Ainge.

Ken Dorsey: Career Stats

Sure, he's cashing a check and what not (nothing wrong with making money), but don't make it as though Dorsey has a career that anyone would envy. Heck, Mark Rypien has a better resume than that.

Ainge would have to be very lucky to get 12 starts and would have to be even luckier to avoid injuries.

Sure, he's cashing a check and what not (nothing wrong with making money), but don't make it as though Dorsey has a career that anyone would envy. Heck, Mark Rypien has a better resume than that.

Ainge would have to be very lucky to get 12 starts and would have to be even luckier to avoid injuries.

Show me where anyone has predicted Ainge will be breaking Marino, Manning, and Favre records. You can't. Thus, your posts on Erik Ainge, as with most topics, are worthless.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of guys playing in Canada, the Arena League, and selling insurance who certainly envy Ken Dorsey's career.

I think he would do well and possibly start in the future with a couple of years behind a veteran with a veteran line and atleast one good wr and te. Wait.. I could do that.

well Ramar did suck....
but..
im saying now that ainge is gone...say thanks for giving UT your best and wish him well...that is what i will say when ramar leaves.he has 2 more years and will improve drastically I believe.

what im saying is on the ainge thing he has been bashed and i jumped in before alot of it started on this thread but he is going to be in the nfl for 5-10 years worst case probably and make 4-5 mil or more during that time without ever playing much more than likely and no risk of injury...

who on this board wouldnt take that?????????????????

there is my point

What if Ainge landed on a team like Minnesota?

Solid offensive line, a running game that cant be slowed; even crowding the box with 8 or 9 players it cant be stopped, & a good defense.

VN Store

Back